Popular Tags: [View All]
Marvin Ramirez
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does the tutorial tell you to set up condition tokens and deck then tell you not to use them? Makes no sense. Anyways it's a great games and I am very much enjoying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Base. GAME.
mbmbmbmbmb
So you can explain all the rules? Since its a tutorial?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin Ramirez
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it can be for that reason. It's just weird that it tells you how to set up then you get to the end and its says don't use them. Its like if they said to set up the agenda deck, then they tell you don't use it. Maybe I'm just being weird about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incidentally, if you are playing the Imperial, don't try too hard to win the tutorial. It's not really balanced and works best as a tool to test out the mechanics of the game.

Also note that the errata to the tutorial in the FAQ makes it so that the Imperial player needs to interact with both terminals to win. This balances things a little, but I think it might still be pretty unbalanced and too easy to win if you just play for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ari Rusakko
Finland
Lappeenranta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:

Also note that the errata to the tutorial in the FAQ makes it so that the Imperial player needs to interact with both terminals to win. This balances things a little, but I think it might still be pretty unbalanced and too easy to win if you just play for that.

By accident I found out that the original tutorial seemed fairly balanced if you also forget to ban conditions. Rebs can stunlock the mobile droid making it tougher to sneak past to terminals.

I think I will continue with this misinterpretation as it teaches conditions too, which are not that hard concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Sanzén
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Check the FAQ also, the Imperial player needs to interact with both terminals to win now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
VorpalBunny wrote:
Rebs can stunlock the mobile droid making it tougher to sneak past to terminals.

Mobile gains little in the tutorial, the speed of the droid is just 3 anyway.

The correct activation order of the Imperial Officer and stormtrooper group will make opening the door, then moving to interact with one of the terminals easy. I have not tried with the errataed version though, where the imperial needs to interact with both terminals.

But the purpose of the tutorial is just to make the basic terms and mechanisms familiar to the players. Aftermath will add a few more, and this continues for the first few side and story missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ari Rusakko
Finland
Lappeenranta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
VorpalBunny wrote:
Rebs can stunlock the mobile droid making it tougher to sneak past to terminals.

Mobile gains little in the tutorial, the speed of the droid is just 3 anyway.

The correct activation order of the Imperial Officer and stormtrooper group will make opening the door, then moving to interact with one of the terminals easy. I have not tried with the errataed version though, where the imperial needs to interact with both terminals.

But the purpose of the tutorial is just to make the basic terms and mechanisms familiar to the players. Aftermath will add a few more, and this continues for the first few side and story missions.

Wasn't the droid like elite with 4 moves? Also mobility allows to move wih hostile figs without penalty? Chaining that with that imp officer's action... would make him move quite far IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VorpalBunny wrote:
Wasn't the droid like elite with 4 moves? Also mobility allows to move wih hostile figs without penalty? Chaining that with that imp officer's action... would make him move quite far IMO.

The speed of the Regular Probe Droid is 3. (Mobile does allow to ignore additional movement cost due to hostile figures and difficult, impassable and blocking terrains.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ari Rusakko
Finland
Lappeenranta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
VorpalBunny wrote:

The speed of the Regular Probe Droid is 3. (Mobile does allow to ignore additional movement cost due to hostile figures and difficult, impassable and blocking terrains.)

At least my tutorial mission talks about Probe Droid (red), shouldn't one use the elite version then? Even has the picture of the elite variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I did not check which one the tutorial uses. My main point was that mobile does not gain you much in the tutorial and the Probe Droid is not a miracle cure much better than any other unit in winning it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ari Rusakko
Finland
Lappeenranta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Yeah, I did not check which one the tutorial uses. My main point was that mobile does not gain you much in the tutorial and the Probe Droid is not a miracle cure in winning it.

I'm sorry to give that impression. But that thing seemed quite powerful at reaching those stations even through thick meatwall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because a figure can interact when in the same space, only 4 rebels together can create a wall thick enough when a terminal is in a corner. So, the other terminal will then be free to interact with.

With the errata in place, this blocking might even be a good strategy, forcing the imperial player to take down at least one rebel. (But getting just one hero wounded is a winning condition already, if I recall.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirbeefman wrote:
Why does the tutorial tell you to set up condition tokens and deck then tell you not to use them? Makes no sense. Anyways it's a great games and I am very much enjoying it.

Merely to help learn the proper ways of the game. It highlights not all rules are used.

I've noticed quite a few people have referenced the FAQ/Errata above and would question the relevance of this for most people. All in all, most tutorials aren't the full game and "Tutorial" should be assessed as so.

I'm curious, did this setup not help you understand the full game better? (Genuine curiosity here, as it's not the first time this has been commented on).

I've personally found it's easier to teach game in steps and somewhat find this tutorial a decent way to help teach the game, although I've been adding in explanations which aren't represented in the tutorial myself (As I've read and understand the full rules).

I'd recommend assessing the best approach for your group and adjusting accordingly. All in all though, never take this mission/setup more than an intro to "SOME" of the rules and setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin Ramirez
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearhug78 wrote:
sirbeefman wrote:

Merely to help learn the proper ways of the game. It highlights not all rules are used.

I've noticed quite a few people have referenced the FAQ/Errata above and would question the relevance of this for most people. All in all, most tutorials aren't the full game and "Tutorial" should be assessed as so.

I'm curious, did this setup not help you understand the full game better? (Genuine curiosity here, as it's not the first time this has been commented on).

I've personally found it's easier to teach game in steps and somewhat find this tutorial a decent way to help teach the game, although I've been adding in explanations which aren't represented in the tutorial myself (As I've read and understand the full rules).

I'd recommend assessing the best approach for your group and adjusting accordingly. All in all though, never take this mission/setup more than an intro to "SOME" of the rules and setup.

I understand the purpose of the tutorial. And it has been very helpful. I just found it funny that the instructions for tutorial setup have you set up the condition cards then near the end of the instructions tells you not use them. I think I will be using them in the tutorial to help players see what those conditions do. Since it is a tutorial it won't matter who wins or loses.

Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.