Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Jacobson

Omaha
Nebraska - NE
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my next game needs to be a worker placement game. I enjoy the little that I've played from that genre. If money were no option and Pillars of the Earth weren't out of print, there would be no discussion. Sadly, that is not the case. Stone Age and Lords of Waterdeep were too vanilla for me, yet I can't get something that is so difficult that no one will want to attempt playing it with me except for a few people that aren't always able to get together very often. In other words, I'd like my wife to want to play too. How are Terra Mystica and Tzolk'in? I've heard the latter is very mathy. Also looking into Manhattan Project and going to play a demo at a con of Fresco soon too. I haven't played Alien Frontiers or Kingsport, but I'm not sure that I like using die instead of meeples. I don't know, maybe a weird tactile thing. Ooh and Viticulture, how do people feel about that one? Suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terra Mystica is amazing. Definitely worth getting.

Carson City is another of my favorites. It's worker placement in a western theme, with duels to fight over spots if you REALLY want a spot.

Dungeon Petz is a little heavier, but themey and fun to play.

Alchemists is a new one, with worker placement and deduction combined in one package. It's quite unique and fun to play.

Other WP's I really enjoy are Dominant Species, Age of Empires, Agricola, and Le Havre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jacobson

Omaha
Nebraska - NE
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Petz looks really fun, but I've heard it's complicated. Is it too much to teach my wife who is a good sport but hasn't played a lot of deeper games yet?

Also Age of Empires has had my attention for awhile. Just hoping the price point goes down perhaps?

I'll have to check into Alchemists. Seen many people playing it.

What do you like so much about Terra Mystica?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spyrium
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Cormode
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently many Terra Mystica fans are outraged that Terra Mystica is being classified as worker placement. Lol.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/189063/official-2015-...

I can definitely recommend Fresco as far as worker placement goes. Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kentaro Sugiyama
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May I suggest Nations? It is a great worker placement, card drafting, civ-lite (without a board) building game that plays in about two hours. It is more accessible than Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization.

If Terra Mystica intrigues you, but the complexity seems daunting, may I suggest Deus? It has wonderful card drafting coupled with building cities (similar to Terra Mystica) on the board, for another civ-lite game that plays in 60-75 minutes. This is the most accessible and fun game our group has played all year.

If you want a dice-allocation game, may I suggest The Castles of Burgundy or Bora Bora? CoB has a neat castle/city building theme, while Bora Bora is more about gaining influence on a small batch of tropical islands. Contrary to Kingsburg, where higher totals are better, there are generally no "bad" die rolls in either of these games. However, there is plenty of tactical considerations in just the die allocation part. CoB is more accessible, while Bora Bora is brain-melty challenging at first.

If the mechanical gears of Tzolk'in fascinate you, may I suggest Amerigo? It has a "cube tower" which provides an interesting source of randomness and chaos in a neat exploration/area control game.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I would normally recommend Kingsburg with its expansion here, but now I'd recommend Kingsport Festival if you like the Lovecraft theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Tobal
Spain
Cobeña
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gohawks wrote:
Dungeon Petz looks really fun, but I've heard it's complicated. Is it too much to teach my wife who is a good sport but hasn't played a lot of deeper games yet?

Also Age of Empires has had my attention for awhile. Just hoping the price point goes down perhaps?

Learning the basics of Dungeon Petz is not complicated at all. Everything in the game, including the instructions, fit the theme perfectly, making most of the game very straightforward. Does your pet want to play? save a worker to play with it. Want to buy a cage? You'll need at least two workers to carry the big cage to your shop. Want more workers? Go to the immigration office, etc.

What might scare newcomers (or casual players) is the amount of things you need to keep track of in every round: contest, clients, food, pets and their need cards, shop upgrades,etc. Because of this, its not a game i'd recommend as a worker placement gateway game.

If you want to introduce your wife (and other casual gamers)to worker placement games, I'd go with either Agricola or Caverna: The Cave Farmers. Both games include a "family" version to help newcomers ease in to the genre without overwhelming them.

Good luck !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gohawks wrote:

If 2P is your primary goal, perhaps Agricola: Creatures Big & Small would be a good choice? Or even Castles of Burgundy (this is a dice game, but you take actions with your dice, which crosses over into WP).

Worker placement games, as a whole, thrive on more players blocking each other and taking needed actions. Take away more players, and the games become more action selection than worker placement (e.g. games where you can choose whatever action you want on your turn). Creatures Big and Small is designed for 2P up front, so I think it works well because of this.

Terra Mystica is just "neat". I doubt it's a great 2P game, but I may be wrong. I've never played it with less than 4.

But if your goal is 2P with a partner that is playing "to be a good sport", I'd stay away from most of the choices in this thread and stick to simpler games, for now, like Creatures Big & Small or Castles of Burgundy (a favorite 2P in our house). For what it's worth, Burgundy is just pure "fun", and rarely frustrating, so it's a great choice for a low-key game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome new user!

Multiplayer worker placement games with good replay value, play well with 2p as well, and are a flavour or two above Stone Age. In order of preference. BTW - I don't think that Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar is to mathy at all.

1. Luna
2. Caylus
3. Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar
4. Assyria*
5. Egizia
6. Spyrium
7. Fresco

*underrated game

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jacobson

Omaha
Nebraska - NE
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are great suggestions. What about Viticulture? From what I can glean, it plays tight with 2-6 players which would be perfect. Anyone have any experience with this, good or bad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
gohawks wrote:
These are great suggestions. What about Viticulture? From what I can glean, it plays tight with 2-6 players which would be perfect. Anyone have any experience with this, good or bad?
Yeah, good choice, it's beautifully made and loved a lot around these parts, with a great expansion. Also a very good choice from the "bracket b" games, not going for usual suspects is often a good idea for variety at game groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gohawks wrote:
I think my next game needs to be a worker placement game.

Alright. Lots of those around.

Quote:
I enjoy the little that I've played from that genre. If money were no option and Pillars of the Earth weren't out of print, there would be no discussion. Sadly, that is not the case. Stone Age and Lords of Waterdeep were too vanilla for me, yet I can't get something that is so difficult that no one will want to attempt playing it with me except for a few people that aren't always able to get together very often. In other words, I'd like my wife to want to play too.

OK. Did your wife try Stone Age and Lords Of Waterdeep, which you didn't like? Did she enjoy those? Does she generally shy away from complex games?

Quote:
How are Terra Mystica and Tzolk'in?

Well, they are very good, both of them. But wrapping your head around the game mechanics of Terra Mystica is complex. You seem to at least suggest that your wife wouldn't want something too complicated. In that case, I would probably stay away from Terra Mystica. Tzolk'in is also a brainburner and also rather complex at first, but the basic mechanism or either placing workers on wheels or taking them off, is very simple. But make no mistake about it - both of those games are "gamers games" - they are CLEARLY more complex than Stone Age and LoW.

Quote:
I've heard the latter is very mathy.

I wouldn't say that.

Quote:
Also looking into Manhattan Project and going to play a demo at a con of Fresco soon too. I haven't played Alien Frontiers or Kingsport, but I'm not sure that I like using die instead of meeples. I don't know, maybe a weird tactile thing. Ooh and Viticulture, how do people feel about that one? Suggestions?

Don't know enough about those games, I'm afraid. Have you considered "staple" worker placement games like Agricola/Caverna. These are really popular for a reason and they are fairly easy to get into. They also play well at most player counts AND have been known to have at least decent wife-appeal. Yes, they are heavier than Stone Age, but Agricola has a family variant (should only be played initially, as the full game is MUCH better) and a cutesy theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You want Russian Railroads. It's simple enough mechanically, but interesting and challenging enough that it should hold you over for a while. It scales well from 2-4 players and never outstays its welcome.

Another good option are the 2-player only Targi, and Agricola: All Creatures. However, if you lean towards Agricola: AC, it is advised that you pickup either one or both of the small building expansions; it adds tremendously to the game's lifespan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.