Nadine Savoie
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi everyone,
I am new to BBG and new to gaming and I'm loving all of it. Well, I've actually played lots of cards and lots of Monopoly type games, but I was recently introduced to Settlers of Catan and it's opened my eyes to a whole new wonderful world of gaming!

My boyfriend and I have played Settlers at least 100 times over the last 2 months and I'd like to get another game but could use some help choosing.

I really like the modular board, the resource acquiring, and also like some luck in a game, but not as much as Catan. I do not like War Games. I would like something a bit more complex than Catan, but not a lot more.

Can you please recommend something that is fun for 2 players, but can be played with more people too and that fits what I've described?

After looking at the threads and the ratings on this site here's a possible list I've come up with.

Puerto Rico
Carcasonne
Goa
Samurai
Ticket to Ride Europe

Thanks!
Ninjagirl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Please recommend a resource game for new gamers, 2 playe
Hi,

My wife and I enjoy playing

San Juan
Jambo (must get my own copy...)
Alhambra
Palazzo
Power Grid (It's easier than a lot of people make out)

All good games that are easy to explain but have lots of strategy/tactics to learn over multiple games

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmb
Carcassonne is neither more complex nor less luck-driven than Catan, but I think it's still a great 2-player game that comfortably accomodates more.

Alhambra is another great "fun for 2, great for more" game that I would recommend you look into. It's probably in between Carcassonne and Catan as far as both luck and complexity are concerned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ninjagirl wrote:
Hi everyone,
I am new to BBG and new to gaming and I'm loving all of it. Well, I've actually played lots of cards and lots of Monopoly type games, but I was recently introduced to Settlers of Catan and it's opened my eyes to a whole new wonderful world of gaming!

My boyfriend and I have played Settlers at least 100 times over the last 2 months and I'd like to get another game but could use some help choosing.

I really like the modular board, the resource acquiring, and also like some luck in a game, but not as much as Catan. I do not like War Games. I would like something a bit more complex than Catan, but not a lot more.

Can you please recommend something that is fun for 2 players, but can be played with more people too and that fits what I've described?

After looking at the threads and the ratings on this site here's a possible list I've come up with.

Puerto Rico
Carcasonne
Goa
Samurai
Ticket to Ride Europe

Thanks!
Ninjagirl

Of those, Puerto Rico is not great with two. Carcassonne is a fine game for a relatively inexperienced gamer, but I wouldn't call it "resource acquiring". Still, it tends to be fairly inexpensive and not a bad purchase. You'll like it.

Goa is a great great game. Plays terrifically with 2. And it does involve managing various types of resources. It is a significant step up in complexity from Settlers and only you will know if that will work for you or not.

The first thing that came to mind was Attika. Modular board. Resource management. And plays well with two. Some depth, but not the hardest game to learn that I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Ticket to Ride, Carcasonne, and Alhambra. I've gotten a lot of play out of these games and introduced them to new players with great success. Puerto Rico is, I think, a step up in depth and setup time, but is a truly wonderful game. St. Petersburg is also a really good game on this next step up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Maloney
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the motion for "Jambo" although it is designed for only 2 players. I haven't quite figured out why you couldn't play it with three or in a partnership type of setup with four people. I think it has something to do with not enough money to go around or too many utility cards, or. . something. . .Thurn Und Taxis (by the guy who designed Puerto Rico) seems to do well with two players and would appear to have the requisite degree of complexity without straining the brain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjagirl wrote:
Hi everyone,
I am new to BBG and new to gaming and I'm loving all of it.

I really like the modular board, the resource acquiring, and also like some luck in a game, but not as much as Catan.

Puerto Rico
Carcasonne
Goa
Samurai
Ticket to Ride Europe

Welcome to BGG.
I'd say it depends on what you mean by "resource acquiring." I'd be hard-pressed to classify Carc, TtR, or Samurai as such--though they're all excellent games.

If you are married to some kind of economics in your games, then Puerto Rico is nice--if you're willing to accept a bit more complexity, I would say Goa is a touch less intuitive (more ways to score points) but much, much better. It also has a modular board of sorts (if you really want to stretch the definition).
I think Samurai is awesome, but it probably meets few (if any) of your criteria--it's simple (IMO) than Settlers, has no real resource acquisition, and its board is only modular in the sense that when you add players you add islands.

My personal recommendations would be Puerto Rico (the 2 player variant is very good), or Goa if you feel ambitious. Read the rules online before buying to see if the games are for you.
[EDIT] Oh, but I second the recommendation of Attika. It meets many of your stated criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SkipM624 wrote:
I second the motion for "Jambo" although it is designed for only 2 players. I haven't quite figured out why you couldn't play it with three or in a partnership type of setup with four people. I think it has something to do with not enough money to go around or too many utility cards, or. . something

Check out this thread for ways to play Jambo with three players:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/61990

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico with the 2 player variant is very good. You could also give San Juan a try, it's easier to get into than PR while introducing many of the concepts you'll see in the larger game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Attika is your game. In some ways it is very similar to Catan. The board contains resources of various types. You don't collect them, really, but you need to place near them on the board to take advantage of them. You build buildings whose price is set at a certain combination of resources, e.g. 3 water and 1 wood for a harbor, 2 hills and 1 mountain for a tower.

It plays 2-4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At-ti-ka. At-ti-ka. At-ti-ka.

Attika

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
My personal recommendations would be Jambo (for two) and Puerto Rico (for more). Get both. Goa is good but may be a little too decision-heavy for starting out (auction evaluations can be tricky when you're a new gamer).

The other games you listed are not resource gathering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amelia Tharme
United Kingdom
Eastbourne
flag msg tools
mbmb
Another vote for Attika. You might also consider one of the crayon rail games: Empire Builder, Eurorails etc. There is a bit of luck with the cards and a bit of managing the resources and lots of route planning and juggling your money and goals. Very little player interaction though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you look at Alhambra, I'd recommend also looking at Palazzo. It is designed for 2-4 without having to have a dummy player as in Alhambra. I think the auctions in the game add some tension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with GOA as it's great with 2 players and up. MESOPOTAMIA combines tile-laying, resource-gathering and cool looking bits for another good 2 player game. It also has a varied start (like POWER GRID) according to the number of players (up to 4).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan is really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you buy San Juan, you will soon regret not having bought Puerto Rico right from the start.
I would prefer Puerto Rico or Caylus to GOA.
I second statements that say Samurai, Carc. or T2R Europe are great games but not about resource acquiring.
I also second the recommendation of Attika, as it also plays well with 2 and is not that heavy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Savoie
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the feedback!

I'm excited to do some research on all your suggestions.

I'll let you know what game I decide on once I become more informed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leftfield
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll throw a couple of others into the mix that may meet your needs. Which by the way may be different than what you think. Which is to say, you may not want to limit yourself to games based on what you've played so far. There's lots of cool stuff out there. So, I'm suggesting some things that don't fit your specs on purpose so you can consider some variety for your collection.

Anyway...

Suggestions I agree with:

Jambo
San Juan
Goa
Attika
Samurai
Caylus

Closest to your specs (though no modular board):
Torres
Elfenland

Others to consider:
Keythedral - lots of people say this is like settlers without the luck. I don't see the comparison myself, but FWIW... though folks don't seem to like with 2

Hansa - pretty abstract but fun game

Three that I can't resist suggesting:

Tikal - mixed reviews on 2p; tile laying on a board makes it kinda modular; no resource management; uses an action point system; can play on http://www.spielbyweb.com to try it out

Louis XIV

Reef Encounter - totally different from settlers; it's a bit brain-melty; also on http://www.spielbyweb.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Downfall of PompeiiThe Downfall of PompeiiThe Downfall of Pompeii game of choice!

Great with 2+. Cannot recommend it enough. I try, but you know what -- it's still not enough. Never enough! English version out later this month. You shall not regret. Mentok has spoken!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leftfield
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ooh, that is a good one...that fell off my radar. i just added it to my wishlist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
I do go on about the game. For the sake of completion I will say some people don't like it much with two-players only. I disagree though, and think it's great, but just so you know, it has been said.

Not strategic, very tactical, with a good dollup of luck. Everyone I've introduced it to really enjoys it.

Hey, That's My Fish! is another I can recommend strongly. I would repeat the recommendation of San Juan as well.

Attika is good as well but that's sort of a next-step game, which gamers who enjoy mechanics will like but new or casual gamers may give it a giant 'meh'. Newer gamers need a more obvious fun factor.

EDIT, since I read your post properly this time:
Quote:

But based on this, I'd say it is a good choice. Modular, resources, more complex. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got enough recommendations yet? I didnt think so!!!

I think Ticket to ride has some "resource acquisition" elements to it as you draw certain colored cards to play the trains in the game. You have to get sets of the cards to buy the trains. However, it isn't really a step up in complexity from Settlers. For that, I would go with San Juan, the puerto rico 2 player card game.

Another suggestion to get a few more games out of your settlers set is to pick up the seafarers expansion. There is a fan-created two player variant called "intimate settlers" that is a lot of fun. Don't let the name fool you, get yer mind out of the gutter! The variant involves using the seafarers pieces to explore the area around the starting island, which is revealed as you go. http://files.boardgamegeek.com/viewfile.php3?fileid=17154

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Savoie
Canada
flag msg tools
My brother works at a comic book store in Halifax so he's offered to give me a game for Christmas since he can get them through work, sweet!

I researched all the suggestions on this thread, and I gave my brother this list to choose from:

Attika
Samurai
Ticket to Ride Europe
Thurn and Taxis

I know these don't all fit the criteria that I mentioned, but they sound like they're fun with cool boards.

Thanks again for all your help!

Nadine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United States
Jamaica Plain
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would second or third Power Grid. My girlfriend loves it. It is much fun as a two player game though better with more.

Also I would suggest San Juan over Puerto Rico. It plays much faster has a bit of luck but just enough to make it exciting. Also it sets up a lot faster. Really fast in fact. Once you get going you can play the game in under 20 mintues and you can just keep getting games in. This is my girlfriends favorite game. Over settlers as it has near no downtime and has fun desision making. Also every game you win or loose you are thinking about the next one and how to improve on your strategy.

I would suggest choosing a game that is different then Settlers. Carcassonne has been suggested and though I enjoy it my girlfriend does not nor does my sister. So I am not sure that game is a lock with everyone. It does have a nice tactile quality to it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.