Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I capitalized YOU in the title because I am asking for people that can win with SCs
Gave em a try and failed so bad it was not even funny.
I think I may have tried too hard to match up the event abilities with the right units and wound up stalling too much, then I tried to make up for lost time by over building the magic and burning through my deck.
Has anyone figured out this faction yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Can you win with the sand cloaks?

EDIT: Sorry, I initially read that as "Sand Goblins," so I'll delete everything I wrote. Now, as for "Sand Cloaks"...

Yes, they are very good. The option to give all those abilities to all types of units (from Cloaks and Sand Goblins of the past) is sweet. And you can still do quite well with the base deck. Sharing abilities among units is really amazing. Because there are so many options, it's hard to nail down anything specific, short of deck-building with specific ideas, such as Greater Sneak on Spider, Blitz on Biter, etc.

I'd recommend you keep playing around with them. It took me 3-4 plays to really click with their economy and rhythm, but once you do, using Blitz, Retribution, Marked Target, etc, on more than 1 unit at a time is funky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yoder, he's asking about Sand Cloaks, not Sand Goblins. Now, on to Marek:

You have to be a total opportunist. My general philosophy is to build EAs immediately unless I have a good use for it that turn. Scholars are huge for bringing back EAs later. Be strategic in your ARCHIVE uses. Try and use Marek's power as much as possible. Bauble is a total boss, use him and keep him alive forever if you can. Fink is a great assassin but not a good brawler. Barston has a great ability but may not fit in that well with the rest of Marek. In base Marek, Hunters are your bread-and-butter, Scholars should be hiding and Tinkerers should only be summoned if you need to counter a specific Unit. Marek's biggest weakness is how squishy her base deck is, so use EA's to stay alive or assassinate if able.

Marek is probably my favorite summoner in the game, but she's really difficult to play well and you have to roll with how your EAs come out. The main thing is to build them like crazy and spend the extra Magic to ARCHIVE them out when the time is right. Bauble is the base deck's only real ability to soak up damage, so be sure to keep him going as long as you can (or just stay away from any slogfests).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

thenobleknave wrote:
Yoder, he's asking about Sand Cloaks, not Sand Goblins. Now, on to Marek:

DOH! I was hoping to alter my post before anyone saw it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Burghardt
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
SC are 8-0 so far by my experience. We can't stop them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nburghardt wrote:
SC are 8-0 so far by my experience. We can't stop them.

We found it to be the opposite, no one could win with him, we love so many of the past decks and have really become good with them, this deck just needs a new approach.
I was just hoping to find a few tips here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Burghardt
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
We've played fast with them, meaning sort of assassination style and just relentless. Maybe each of our matches have had good early events. My best shot to beat them was treating them like CG and picking off any commons with an event to keep their event mangement expensive, but I lost a close finish, so who knows maybe I played it wrong.

It sounds like you are very focused on building a lot of stacked event combos with multiple hunters and Marek. We've been the opposite and rushed in and built events that didn't seem to help at the time. Keeping a couple scholars alive to move events around and retrieve them from the discard pile as necessary. Try playing them more fluidly and see how it goes. I think the best term for them is "opportunist" as nobleknove stated. You have to be more adaptable with this deck than any in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nburghardt wrote:
We've played fast with them, meaning sort of assassination style and just relentless. Maybe each of our matches have had good early events. My best shot to beat them was treating them like CG and picking off any commons with an event to keep their event mangement expensive, but I lost a close finish, so who knows maybe I played it wrong.

It sounds like you are very focused on building a lot of stacked event combos with multiple hunters and Marek. We've been the opposite and rushed in and built events that didn't seem to help at the time. Keeping a couple scholars alive to move events around and retrieve them from the discard pile as necessary. Try playing them more fluidly and see how it goes. I think the best term for them is "opportunist" as nobleknove stated. You have to be more adaptable with this deck than any in my experience.

We are very surprised your group is 8-0, these guys could not last 6 turns so far.
The only faction that went down faster was the Fallen Phoenix, they were taken out in 4 turns.

I plan to revisit the SC but after finding so little about deck strategy we may put the SC, FP, and CF away and enjoy the other 5 decks until we feel like pulling them back out.
We were very pumped the first day with this new set, we played the first 4 factions and loved them, everyone wanted to own the set to at that point but then on day two we played the other 4 and the 3 factions listed above caused a hesitation to purchase.
I think we just need to find some faction strategy and then I hope everyone is back on board to being excited again.
Now back to my internet search for base deck strategy, got to save my new set from a dusty spot on the shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Burghardt
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
That is funny, FP is the other team we think is extremely strong. I love how SW can have such different opinion on factions and units. It must be a playstyle thing.

Sorry you don't feel we are giving you strategy advice, but the deck is unpredictable with 9 different events. Are you trying to hold back and get a bunch of key events on hunters? This might get them killed before they can use the ability and will allow your opponent to clog lanes. Try attacking more quickly, expecting the hunters to die and if one happens to survive, bonus! Things to remember:
-hunters get +1 AV with an event under them
-your events go to your discard pile if under a unit you control that is destroyed
-Marek can share her event ability with one other unit each turn
-each scholar allows you to pick up one event from a unit, thus allowing you to move it to a new unit or build it at the end of the turn; or instead you can pay a magic to retrieve an event from the discard pile with a scholar, this means your favorite events can haunt your opponent round after round
-if Marek is pressured use a defensive event on her, if she's safe put an offensive event on her to share with her units, using scholars swap as needed
-build most of your tinkerers and scholars and summon most hunters and champs

Trust me, SC should put fear into your opponent's soul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nburghardt wrote:
That is funny, FP is the other team we think is extremely strong. I love how SW can have such different opinion on factions and units. It must be a playstyle thing.

Sorry you don't feel we are giving you strategy advice, but the deck is unpredictable with 9 different events. Are you trying to hold back and get a bunch of key events on hunters? This might get them killed before they can use the ability and will allow your opponent to clog lanes. Try attacking more quickly, expecting the hunters to die and if one happens to survive, bonus! Things to remember:
-hunters get +1 AV with an event under them
-your events go to your discard pile if under a unit you control that is destroyed
-Marek can share her event ability with one other unit each turn
-each scholar allows you to pick up one event from a unit, thus allowing you to move it to a new unit or build it at the end of the turn; or instead you can pay a magic to retrieve an event from the discard pile with a scholar, this means your favorite events can haunt your opponent round after round
-if Marek is pressured use a defensive event on her, if she's safe put an offensive event on her to share with her units, using scholars swap as needed
-build most of your tinkerers and scholars and summon most hunters and champs

Trust me, SC should put fear into your opponent's soul.

Thank you very much.
I really want the new set to bring SW back in rotation, I love this game.
You play them far different than the way we have been playing them, it would have taken more plays than I think I could have managed to make happen to figure that out.
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me, I will try it ASAP, happy gaming nburghardt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Burghardt
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I hope you learn to love them as much as we do. They are the most popular faction in my gaming circle.

I suspect your style is another viable way to play them, but I picutre it like tucking a hunter in a corner with a fun event on him. That way, when you summon future hunters they each get it automatically, though they only get an extra die if you give them their own event. Sounds harder to set up, but if successful might be a great strategy.

Our biggest issue running SC has been resource burn. They've often gone through their deck quickly giving the long game edge to the opponent, but each time they managed to win before it became an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nburghardt wrote:
Our biggest issue running SC has been resource burn. They've often gone through their deck quickly giving the long game edge to the opponent, but each time they managed to win before it became an issue.

This. Marek tends to win fast or die slow. Bauble helps the long game substantially, but is also resource intensive.

The main thing with SC is that they have a steep learning curve and a high skill-ceiling (similar to the DD in that regard). They are brutally punishing to play as when new to the faction, and brutally punishing to play against in the hands of an expert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nburghardt wrote:

I Love every Goblin that has come out,when I tried these gobs I expected a lot, having such a failure with them broke my heart, but then I read your reply.
Your advice has completely changed how I look at the SC, I will be playing them early next week and I can't wait to try your strategy.
I suspect I will be back to loving all goblins again, and for this I thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Burghardt
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Let us know how it goes. I hope you enjoy the SC as much as I do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be playing the base sand cloaks
Tomorrow, I will post my thoughts after the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glenn3e glenn3e
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won twice with SCs. Both times I decked out while my opponent still has some cards significantly more than me. Marek can really cycle fast due to being able to build all her Events to be retrieved later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glenn3e wrote:
I won twice with SCs. Both times I decked out while my opponent still has some cards significantly more than me. Marek can really cycle fast due to being able to build all her Events to be retrieved later.

I think this is important to remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading all the advice posted here I played these guys with an entire new approach, I built magic aggressively, burning threw the deck fast as mentioned above, I built all my tinkerers all though this was a situational choice, and most of the scholars, making sure to keep one on the board, I built every event that did not have an immediate use.
I summoned every hunter in the deck and swapped EA and pulled greater sneak back out of the discard pile for a second use on evil Elien with 2 AV hunter.
Never got Bauble out, drew him too late and built Barston, in the end I killed Elien with just hunters, over all this faction comes down to knowing the EA and playing the deck fast and hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Burghardt
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Congrats! Sounds like they finally clicked! Aren't they a ton of fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nburghardt wrote:
Congrats! Sounds like they finally clicked! Aren't they a ton of fun?

Why yes they are, I still need more plays to get a better feel for them, I think I could make better use of the tinkeres, not to mention deck building, although when you own every faction I don't think the game really needs it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope someone reads this and gives the stock deck a try.

Now on to the Swamp mercs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
I won with them, but it only finally clicked with me on the third game I was playing. Constantly putting different event abilities on Marek and the Hunters as the situation warranted and using Scholars to put them back in my hand and redistribute them optimally. I had so many abilities/ability copiers that I had to use numbered dice to keep track of who had what ability!! Unfortunately, it all ended when I rolled snake eyes on a critical combat. Curse you, dice!~

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pintsizepete wrote:
I won with them, but it only finally clicked with me on the third game I was playing. Constantly putting different event abilities on Marek and the Hunters as the situation warranted and using Scholars to put them back in my hand and redistribute them optimally. I had so many abilities/ability copiers that I had to use numbered dice to keep track of who had what ability!! Unfortunately, it all ended when I rolled snake eyes on a critical combat. Curse you, dice!~

Very cool, it takes a few plays to get them to work, I agree, so glad you found the groove as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Way Out There...
mbmbmbmbmb
The Sand Cloaks are one of the only factions I haven't played yet. It looks like their strategies could vary greatly depending in what events come up but it seems very adaptable. I look forward to trying them out but I have a feeling it may take some plays to get the feel for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You gonna play them against me tomorrow?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.