Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a must have for our group.

Any details on release?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Susan,

Look for a Kickstarter for Dead Man's Chest in mid-April from Eagle-Gryphon Games.

I have demoed a prototype at a number of conventions over the past 8 months and its a gem. In the same genre as Liar's Dice but completely different in play.

Ralph
For Eagle-Gryphon Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you update the BGG entry with artwork by chance?

Will keep an eye on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
This sounds like a must have for our group.

Any details on release?

Your group must have this? Does your group own 2 regular D6s? Then you already own this game. This game has been played by countless students during recess, parties, school trips ...
Honestly, this is like trying to sell you "Tic Tac Toe - The Boardgame".
Well, I guess the wooden box is nice ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
just watched the KST. video I do like it nice Estuff Ralph

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
We used to play this as a drinking game called "Mexicali" years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW more than 300% funded

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ixnay66 wrote:
We used to play this as a drinking game called "Mexicali" years ago.

Yes, the game is also known as Mia and is quite old.
I do not mind them doing a reskin, but it is quite odd they actually put a designer name on the box when nothing has actually changed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbc- wrote:
I do not mind them doing a reskin, but it is quite odd they actually put a designer name on the box when nothing has actually changed...

That is odd indeed. This game has been in the public domain for ages.
Maybe that's why they chose to misprint his name on the box. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul Jefferies put together a beautiful prototype of Dead Man's Chest (as he does with so many games) and I saw it over a year ago when he was playing with friends at The Gathering. I fell in love with the game and there was enough work and energy that Paul put into his version that we wanted to give him credit and royalties for the right to use it.

I made my own crude prototype and took it to a lot of game events over the year and it was a solid hit. We knew that this had to be a nice looking game and that it had to be portable and have good production values. We put together what we believe is a very nice and portable version for a reasonable price that makes it easy to carry, easy to teach and is still a lot of fun.

As I hope you know, Eagle-Gryphon Games strives to produce quality games both in production and in game play. If that is valuable to you and you like supporting game designers and game publishers, then this is a great, fun game to have and we appreciate your support!

As to the misprint: Sadly, things do get missed in proof reading and this one is especially unfortunate and my apologies to Paul for that. It is correct in the rules and here on BGG.

Best
Ralph
For Eagle-Gryphon Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonCat wrote:
I fell in love with the game and there was enough work and energy that Paul put into his version that we wanted to give him credit and royalties for the right to use it.

In the rules I were taught 30+ years ago, the only change, with the "new" version, is moving 31 from being second highes to lowest. This has absolutely zero impact on gameplay. If that is enough to give designer credit to a public domain game, there are a lot of unknown game designers out there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Jefferies
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
My name is Oobydoob Scooby-dooby Banooby. I have the silliest name in the galaxy. (Thumb Wars)
mbmbmbmbmb
dbc- wrote:
DragonCat wrote:
I fell in love with the game and there was enough work and energy that Paul put into his version that we wanted to give him credit and royalties for the right to use it.

In the rules I were taught 30+ years ago, the only change, with the "new" version, is moving 31 from being second highes to lowest. This has absolutely zero impact on gameplay. If that is enough to give designer credit to a public domain game, there are a lot of unknown game designers out there...

Guess I don't see the issue here. Dozens of 'old' games have been given a face lift, repackaged and sold under a designers name...it's not like it's a new concept. If you look up Gang of Four, The Great Dalmuti, and Career Poker here on BGG...you'll see different designers names...but it's the same game with a different theme! And that game was taken from a very old Chinese card game (see: Big Two on Wikipedia) which most people here call Crazy Eights. I was fully aware that this was an old drinking game, but giving it a twist or two and a theme was enough, I thought, to put my name on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oobydoob wrote:
I was fully aware that this was an old drinking game, but giving it a twist or two and a theme was enough, I thought, to put my name on it.

I would agree if there were any twists. As far as I can see, the only things added to the age-old game is a cheat sheet and score markers. I wouldn't call those twists. I'd call them bling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i love it, and am more than happy to pay the perfectly reasonable price for it. The rules are slightly different to any I knew already (higher number always first, the Dead Man amount - both new to me), I get two really lovely black dice with skull and crossbones in place of 1s, and the wooden box is not only great storage but the perfect, easily handled shaker/concealer/revealer for places like the pub (sliding the lid open and then back with a quick thumb move and giving the players a knowing glance of bluffery is brilliant).

Thanks Paul and Eagle Gryphon : )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ian! Glad you are enjoying it!

Now if I could only come visit your pub to play!

Ralph
For Eagle-Gryphon Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.