Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Roy
United States
Montclair
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Folks,

Just received Bootleggers. Bought it based on theme and good reviews. However, wow does it look hard to learn. My question to you all is -- how do i go about learning it and teaching it to others. The folks i play games with generally do not like complicated stuff.

Is there anywhere on line i can play it to get a feel for the game. Is there anyone out there willing to be a tutor?

Thanks,

Barry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds & looks like a lot to learn.
I handled it by walking through each step myself by putting things on the board and acting out each step. Things get a lot clearer once you do that.
Next, teach it to 2 other people, play a game or two. They'll pick up quick. Next play with all 6 players, having your prior pupils hold the hands of the newbies.

You'll be sailing through a game in 45 minutes

Also, if you are stuck, post a question here on the geek. The designer haunts this place and quickly answers questions. Look through the questions already here & see if it clears things up.
Bootleggers is a great game.
Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Neff
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got mine a few months ago.

I sat down by myself and played a simulated 3 player game to get a feel for how things ran.

By the 3rd round I was pretty comfortable with things.

After introducing it to different friends, they all caught on by the 3rd round, and wanted to immediately play it again when we had finished. I don't think I'll have any trouble getting them to play it again, and many of my non gaming friends want to try it simply based on the theme (who wouldn't want to run shine?).

Enjoy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cook
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it sounds strange, but the best way to teach others is NOT to explain it and just play. The way I do it is just give them their pieces and immediately start the game. I explain each step as we play. By 3 or 4 rounds, the other players will have it down and start playing on their own.

I tried to explain the game BEFORE playing and its just too overwhelming for most. I found just jumping in and showing them how to play along the way is the best method.

Plus, give them good advice on their play. Point out strategies or "Maybe I'll do this because this will do this for me." Don't go out to stomp them their first game. They'll never play again.

It might be better to play a shorter game as opposed to the regular length game to avoid burn-out the first game.

As for learning the game yourself. Play a mock game by yourself or someone else who has read the rules. Stumble through the game or two before showing others. You’ll be much better off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found it best to explain the rules by starting with showing the most important moment first - i set up some open bars (whatever they're called), had some truck drive by, some improvements added, and showed how the payout works. once they see what is it they should try to achive all the rest of the rules is just explaining how the different parts of the final picture get added...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Campbell
United States
Excelsior
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Come over to my house on Saturday. I'll teach you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Beyer
United States
Northville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
The designer haunts this place and quickly answers questions.

Boo

I have an RSS feed setup for the game though it didn't pick up this post, Hmmm...

Use the family still as a guide but be careful on taking the extra influence only on rounds 4 and 8 (the description on the stills seems to trip up some). Give a shout if you have any questions, though I sometimes have to go look up the answers...

Enjoy.

Don

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely worth the effort to learn this amazingly fun game! I occasionaly play boardgames with my poker buddies who would be categorized as extremely casual gamers and they loved it!

Still one of my favorites!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Greisz
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a 4 player game over the weekend and had a blast. Both times we've played now we've had someone hit 100k early, on the 8th & 9th turn. We'll need to learn to gang up on the leader better. Played the soundtracks to Chicago and the Godfather for mood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.