33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Requesting games that are solo-able rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Wong
msg tools
Hi guys, hope this is not a common question but I would like to ask if there are any recommended games that are solo-able?

I have Pandemic with on the brink expansion and I did enjoy it both with my friends and solo. However, now I'm looking for another game.

Well, most of the time I'm either alone but sometimes I did play with a friend or two(its kinda hard to gather for more than 5 players unless special occasions). If possible, I want a game with high replay value too where its hard to play two rounds that are similar. So, any games that you guys suggest? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon's Ransom will be available in a short couple of months!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Head here: https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/1303

You will find a large list of lists
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seung-Bin Bae
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/182648/2014-peoples-choic...

Also consider join 1 Player Guild: https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/1303
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Steely
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another good list to check out.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/11710/always-alone-definit...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Cormode
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite a few Uwe Rosenberg games are solo-able like:

Agricola
At the Gates of Loyang
Glass Road
Caverna: The Cave Farmers
Fields of Arle

Some quite good replayability in those games, IMHO.

I quite like Yggdrasil solo. You can definitely ratchet up the difficulty level if it gets too easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You might be describing Mage Knight Board Game. Some people consider it best solo but it plays up to 4. Mage Knight has a reputation for being heavy and sometimes fiddly. But once you've mastered the rules it can provide a rich and challenging adventure with a lot of replay value in the box and expansions when you're ready. You could check out its rule book http://wizkidsgames.com/wp-content/uploads/mage/MK_rulebook_... and see if its something you'd like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most everything printed by Victory Point Games is designed for solo play.

Victory Point Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Stewart
Scotland
ELGIN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another good one for Solo Play is the D&D Legend of Drizzt, Catles Ravenloft Board games.

Much better dungeon crawlers out there but for 1 player its great fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Wong
msg tools
Thanks for the suggestion guys Appreciate them.

Dragon's Ransom looks promising, probably getting it once its released in my area. I look through some agriculture-type game like Agricola but I'm a little unsure whether I'll like it, I'll note them down for future use. Thanks laugh

IS Yggdrasil similar to Ghost Stories? They seem almost alike but I did not research in depth about it.

I found two games that I'm sorta interested at, its called Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords and Android: Netrunner. How are these two?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Zdan
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder is pretty simple, or at least not that challenging, but I still have a lot of fun leveling my characters up. I've enjoyed it solo, but play with others more often. You'll want to either play it with the same group of people or solo, it's hard to keep switching the game between multiple play groups. Also, a lot of people find the scenarios to be too similar, which you mentioned not wanting. You could try the skull and shackles base set instead, which is more varied.

Android: Netrunner can't be soloed, but if that interests you, you should check out The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, which is a solo-able LCG.

Mage Knight Board Game is the best solo game out there, but it's pretty difficult to learn. You should watch some videos on it to see if it's a good fit for you.

Sentinels of the Multiverse is a simpler co-op you can play solo that has an incredible amount of replay-ability, and you'll never play a similar game twice if you don't want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Builder
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fenynx wrote:
IS Yggdrasil similar to Ghost Stories? They seem almost alike but I did not research in depth about it.

They are both solo able, both co-op, and both have the same artist, so they do look the same. But they are otherwise different games with different mechanics.

fenynx wrote:
I found two games that I'm sorta interested at, its called Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords and Android: Netrunner. How are these two?

Netrunner is not designed to be played solo, as Warren said. There are unofficial solo variants but I have no idea how well these work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Elder Sign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Wong
msg tools
I took a first look at the gameplay of Pathfinder and its kind of interesting but as you said, many of them said that the scenarios are almost similar and its almost a must to get the Adventure Packs to maximize the excitement of the game. Guess I'll give it a hold for now since its quite costly to get all of them.

I think what probably intrigues me now are card-based games like the mentioned pathfinder. I did look up on Sentinels of the Multiverse(since it also has tons of cards) and indeed, a lot of the reviews said it has tons of replay value using different combination of heroes against a villain in an environment. Is it really fun?

I shall look into The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game and Yggdrasil later on too, thanks.

Tried Elder Sign and me and my friends loved it. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Wong
msg tools
Hey guys! I'm tied with 4 games now that I'm interested at

1. Sentinels of the Multiverse
2. Pathfinder Adventure Card Game (Probably getting the Skull & Shackles version as mentioned)
3. The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
4. Mice and Mystics

I want a game with
1. High replay value
2. Can be very fun and won't miss out a lot even if I didn't get all the expansions (as I heard in PACG, I might missed out a lot if I didn't get the Adventure Packs)
3. Any difficultly but not too easy. It's alright if its too hard.
4. If possible, not a must, building up a character (I know SotM missed out this as they have fixed character deck).
5. Can be fun with more players.

Hope I'm not asking too much but I'm at lost now. Thanks again everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
The only two games i can play solo that i don't find totally boring:

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game
Gears of War: The Board Game (get it right now because it's going to cost a pretty penny in a few months).

Played Agricola solo once: snore
Ditto Thunderstone: snore

Might check Onirim (second edition). I presonally don't like the game, but apparently many people do. It's designed first as a solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Smith
United States
New Albany
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never been interested in games with solo play available. Although I appreciate the variety that's offered - I've just never done it. Board games to me should be enjoyed with groups. BUT - I've been checking out Robinson Crusoe. arrrh

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/121921/robinson-crusoe-ad...

I have to say I'm very interested in this game. It has a single player mode that sounds both brutal and challenging. I'm watching a YouTube series right now where a guy plays through a solo play. Very interesting stuff. It's a pretty hardcore game, but very satisfying if you win. I would definitely look into it!

Bacon of Approval. bacon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Decide how many & which roles you want to use, and line them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lap Ho Cheung
United States
Aiea
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed those game both solo and with 2 players
Mage Knight Board Game
Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game
Sentinels of the Multiverse (With at least 1 expansion, suggest to get Sentinels of the Multiverse: Rook City & Infernal Relics Expansion)
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island
Friday

Also Ricky is working on a solo variant for Doomtown: Reloaded, you can check out his video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb2oW_HmkT8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
fenynx wrote:
Hey guys! I'm tied with 4 games now that I'm interested at

1. Sentinels of the Multiverse
2. Pathfinder Adventure Card Game (Probably getting the Skull & Shackles version as mentioned)
4. Mice and Mystics

I want a game with
1. High replay value
2. Can be very fun and won't miss out a lot even if I didn't get all the expansions (as I heard in PACG, I might missed out a lot if I didn't get the Adventure Packs)
3. Any difficultly but not too easy. It's alright if its too hard.
4. If possible, not a must, building up a character (I know SotM missed out this as they have fixed character deck).
5. Can be fun with more players.

Hope I'm not asking too much but I'm at lost now. Thanks again everyone!

Lord of the Rings you will miss a lot without buying expansions. Sentinels of the Multiverse is great solo!

You should consider checking out the Geeklist Solitaire Games on Your Table. Hundreds of reports every month of people's plays of solitaire games. The write ups are very informative and will help you choose.

Solitaire Games on Your Table - March 2015

I would also advise you to post this in the one-player guild mentioned in a few posts here. The folks there are dedicated solo gamers and love to give advice, very friendly.

1 Player guild

Personally my favourite and most played solitaire suitable card game is Race for the Galaxy. You need Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm to get the solo variant but it is an incredible game and worth the fairly low cost. I have played this game over 20 times in the last two months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Butler
United States
Eastport
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hostage Negotiator looks like it's gonna be an awesome solo game, however, it's not available yet....I think it comes out the end of April, so you may wanna keep your eyes peeled for that one soon....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Benson
United States
Dublin
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Desert
Forbidden Island

Desert is more advanced than Island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fenynx wrote:

I want a game with
2. Can be very fun and won't miss out a lot even if I didn't get all the expansions

Based on player comments the Saga expansions are the best content to focus on so that's what I'm working on. The Nightmare stuff can be avoided until you want to up your challenge if you ever feel the need. The other stuff is merely there to help tweak your decks and add in more content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
1- 2- 3- 4!- A- A- 5!
badge
110% Rally
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Sentinels of the Multiverse.
High replay. Doesn't need Expansions. Complex as you must play with at least 3 Heroes. No campaign or character progress. Is fun with all player numbers
High replay. Needs 1 or 2 Expansions at least but you will probably want all. Difficulty scales well although the emphasis changes with the number of Heroes. A great campaign and character progress. Is fun with all player numbers
Medium replay. Doesn't need Expansions although getting a few will increase replayability a lot. Difficulty depends on the scenario. No campaign. Is fun with all player numbers
4. Mice and Mystics
Medium replay as it is a story. Doesn't need Expansions but they do add a lot. Simple repetitive mechanics can get boring and you must play with four Heroes. Campaign is good but character progress is poor. Is fun with all player numbers. Would probably say more fun with children.

There are a lot of solo-able games that would fit your requirements. I definitely suggest joining the 1 Player guild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShaunGamer wrote:
3. The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. No campaign.

The expansions related to the trilogy does. So yes, if a character dies during the campaign, you can't use them anymore and thus need to construct a deck around that fact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.