M Loebach
Canada
Crysler
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GBGers (Greetings Board Gamers)

goo

It was great to see a good group out last night.
It was especially great to see a couple new faces.
(I hope they'll post and let us know if they had a good time HINT HINT!)

A gentle reminder...
Ludo Gatineau is holding it's second get together this weekend.
David and Pascal have been solid suppporters of the Ottawa Game Group please make an effort to go out and have some fun.

a not so gentle reminder...
GET YOUR @$$ OUT TO LUDO GATINEAU!!! IT IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST "PURE" BOARD GAME EVENTS IN OTTAWA!!! ASIDE FROM A HUGE LIBRARY, A GREAT GROUP OF PEOPLE AND AN OPPORTUNITY TO TAKE PART IN A GAME PREMIERE, THERE ARE ALSO SOME GREAT DOOR PRIZES. CHECKOUT THE POST IN THIS OR THE QUEBEC FORUM FOR ALL THE DETAILS. I HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE.

Now onto the Games.

There were a LOT of games played.
I do want to draw attention to the new one Paul brought out...

GLORIA MUNDI
A Roman Gladiator Dressed in Leather with a metal helmet chases you and your "friends" through a roman countryside. All the while eating your food, breaking treaties, and stealing your gold OR ransacking your resources and cities.

It kind of reminded me of Age of Mythology (without the combat) crossed with Puerto Rico (maybe Caylus). The reading of the rules reminded me of Puerto Rico X Traders of Genoa in the sense you can read and reread the rules, but the best way is to read the complete section of rules for every step as it comes up until you can do it on your own.

On first play I would give this an 8 (BGG says 6.5 or so).
I would definitely like to try it again.

Oh, the General won this one.
(Leave it to him to figure out the "shaft the next guy" mechanic in two turns)

PUERTO RICO -- ALL EXPANSION
The general won this as well with the HOSTEL.

CRIBBAGE
Woo Hoo -- I won this one.

TRANSAMERICA
Angus and Bobby (happy retirement) taught this to Kuub and I.
Bobby was the big winner.
Kuub really liked this one (she said that about Pirateer, one of her all time favourite, so I'll probably end up getting this for her at some point)

There was also:

COLORETTO
PIRATEER
PENGUIN NUKE
TICHU (good animated group with this)
and a lot more small box / card based games.
(From what I saw there was about another 4-5 played)

I hope some of the winners will take the time to post their successes here in the Forum as well as rub it in the face of the losers gracefully thank the non-winners for their participation.

I look forward to seeing you on the 24th.

Take care,
goo
MrZoz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re: Wikki Wikki Wi Wi -- Gloria Mundi, PR, Trans &Tichu face
The really animated game of the evening was "Can't Stop".

Flaschenteufel / The Bottle Imp also made it to the table.

I won an abbreviated game of The Bottle Imp.

Then came a very close, tense, and giddy game of Can't Stop, which Sean won.

Then we sat down for some Tichu. Bill and I revisited our partnership from last meeting, against one familiar foe (Sean) and a new one (Mike). Tichu is a race to 1000 points. The first match Sean+Mike blazed out to a 540 to 60 lead after three hands, then we traded a few ~300 point hands (265-35 We, 300-0 They, 280-20 We) before Sean+Mike made a final strike (130-70) to win 1025 to 625.

So we played again.

This time we employed the traditional scoring method of subtracting Tichu-miss points from the missing side (in the first game we instead added tichu-miss points to the stopping side, somewhat accelerating the race to 1000). In this game things started out even more one-sided than the first game, with Sean+Mike outscoring Bill+I 575 to 25 in the first six hands. However, in the following six hands, things took an extreme turn in the opposite direction, with Bill+I outscoring Sean+Mike by a count of 1085 to -85 (leading to a final score of 1110 to 490).

There was some discussion about how the traditional scoring made the game drag on, but frankly that particular match had far more than the usual number of Tichu misses - 5 of the first 9 hands had a missed Tichu! (and the rate of missed tichus should go down with experience). Even with the accelerated scoring it would have been a longish 9-hand game rather than a 12-hand game.

I understand the preference to having the game scores always be increasing (putting an absolute boundary on the duration of the game - 20 hands as a theoretical maximum, minus 1 for each Tichu call and for each 1-2). With subtractive scoring, the game duration is unbounded (a hand with one missed Tichu is a zero-sum hand and two-missed-Tichu or missed-Grand actually moves total scores to the negative!). It does change the decision-making though - a team well in the lead has little to lose by calling a Tichu (they'll get no further from the finish line), while the trailing team is forced to be more conservative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Loebach
Canada
Crysler
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[qIt does change the decision-making though - a team well in the lead has little to lose by calling a Tichu (they'll get no further from the finish line), while the trailing team is forced to be more conservative.[/q]

Is this a rich-get-richer phenomenon for the alternate scoring variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's about right. The rules as-printed strongly deter the distant leaders from making dangerous Tichu calls (because failure actually moves them away from the goal score) and encourages the underdogs to do so (because it only increases the bap between leaders and trailers, and doesn't strictly make the leaders any more likely to win sooner). Which seems about right to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bekking
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I also like the negitive scoring since it means that the winner of the game won because they made their tichu calls and not because of their opponents missed tichu call. You can never lose the game by calling tichu, so it favours whichever team makes the most successful tichu calls.

It was a fun evening of game playing.

Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was there for the first time. A nice casual gaming group. I played mostly with Martin, Tony and Mark?
We started with a game of Letter to the Czar, which I won handily, delivering my letter well ahead of the others.
I also won a game of Hell Rails, which was a lot of fun - I'd like to try that again. We had a good discussion about some of the strategies you can use.
We played Coloretto, which I lost handily, and Unter Land??, a fun little game which I also did not win. I believe Martin won that one

And I finished off with a quick game of TransAmerica, in which I handily beat Bob and Angus. Until next time! cool

The Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J R
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrZoz wrote:
GBGers (Greetings Board Gamers)
Oh, the General won this one.
(Leave it to him to figure out the "shaft the next guy" mechanic in two turns)

Arrrh arrrh There is no better way to have a good evening than shafting thy neighbour

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.