flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the original article on my blog here:

http://ratdorg.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/fantasy-quest-cards-ne...

So, I've been tinkering with the card designs for Fantasy Quest, based heavily on my work on 1066, Tears to Many Mothers. What do you think of this as an option??

NEW:

OLD:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nafmi Sanichar - van Herwijnen
Netherlands
Weesp
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it a lot, if you manage to incorporated the "Demon Handle" a bit better in the overall scrollish look it would be perfect. Maybe try making it look burned in? Also the symbols of the pouch and the "shield" with the 4 in it, look a bit added in. You could try giving the entire scroll and text the same texturing as the pouch? That might work really well.

Anyway, really interested to see where you go with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the new look. But then I love 1066, Tears To Many Mothers, so I'm possibly a little biased. I think it looks a little cleaner and easier to read at a glance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Definitely easier to read!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the new look is much cleaner. thumbsup

For more user friendliness, I'd make all the stats the larger size -- same as on the pouch and red shield. And for design balance, move the red shield straight over, in line with the pouch, and move the word "Race" to the left side of the scroll.

My two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something I like to do on my cards to save space and still look nice for displaying keywords:
Instead of
Demon
Male

Do:
Demon • Male

And I like to use 'small caps' as well. Makes the keywords distinctly stand out from the normal text.

That's just what I do. I really like the "new" design (nothing wrong with cannibalizing your previous work! ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not as colorful, but it IS easier to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

I like the old one significantly better in a number of ways. The new one says pirate, not demon to me. The old one's red and spikes say demon, or at least evil inclined. New has tiny numbers that are harder to see, versus the older one's bigger numbers. Having the stat symbol next to the number in the new one, I find distracting as it is visually equally impressive as the number itself. I prefer the old color shape backgrounds. In the old design, all of the numbers are in a column, but in thew new they are in 3 places. To the sides of the scroll, the new card is uninteresting with no contrast, and with that color choice you might as well stretch it completely from side to side. If you keep shields, it should look like the other symbology.

I could take or leave the scroll, or whether the number are on the right or left. Shields vs hearts, I probably don't care.

Sorry. You game may remain the same, and this card redesign probably won't kill it, and I'm sure some people (self selected bias) will like it, but for me it is a strong step backwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
The new one says pirate, not demon to me. The old one's red and spikes say demon, or at least evil inclined.

He's mentioned before, the old cards used borrowed artwork. He can't use it. The new artwork is likely commissioned and paid for already, so it's probably getting used one way or another.
Quote:
New has tiny numbers that are harder to see, versus the older one's bigger numbers. Having the stat symbol next to the number in the new one, I find distracting as it is visually equally impressive as the number itself. I prefer the old color shape backgrounds.

Not really sure how it's distracting having a number and an icon next to it. In the previous version, the numbers did not always contrast enough with the icon and can be hard to read. The new makes the numbers very easy to see and read. The font could be a little bigger, yes. Maybe increase the numbers' font size, overlap them slightly with the icon, and make the numbers white with a thin black stroke. The numbers now pop from the icon and are very clear and readable.
Quote:
In the old design, all of the numbers are in a column, but in thew new they are in 3 places. To the sides of the scroll, the new card is uninteresting with no contrast, and with that color choice you might as well stretch it completely from side to side. If you keep shields, it should look like the other symbology.

I actually think having a huge list of numbers strung together gets confusing and visually... aggressive? It feels like your eyes are being assaulted with information with no visual way of distinguishing important values from less important ones. Not every stat is equally important, and not all of them are in use at the same time. It makes sense to break them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the comments people, seriously. I'm really happy with the design for 1066 as it is, but don't feel it works as well for Fantasy Quest. Tbh I'm not 100% happy with either layout/version I've posted here so I genuinely appreciate all the feedback. I really need to raise the funds and hire a proper artist/graphic designer to do this bit!
Just need to find my Necklace of Wealth first...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I really like the new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Thanks for all the comments people, seriously. I'm really happy with the design for 1066 as it is, but don't feel it works as well for Fantasy Quest. Tbh I'm not 100% happy with either layout/version I've posted here so I genuinely appreciate all the feedback. I really need to raise the funds and hire a proper artist/graphic designer to do this bit!

I'm not professional, but I'm cheap and available laugh. Should I send you some samples, or will your wife get this one too? (j/k)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:

I'm not professional, but I'm cheap and available laugh. Should I send you some samples, or will your wife get this one too? (j/k)

By all means send me some samples!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The art is cool although I've fallen for the old layout and character designs, but I understand the previously mentioned restrictions with said art. Overall, the format doesn't ward me away, but I like the older statistic layout with the colors in that it makes it easier to quickly reference stats for me i.e. green or the eye=sneak rather than basically looking at a table with no distinction between the stats outside of a symbol, but that's just how my brain works so opinions may vary lol.

Just keep your foot on the throttle and the wonderful community backing this game will supply the gas (or petrol as you brits may call it ^_^) and we'll drive this gem of a game to store shelves worldwide.

For the future of Kilforth, adventurers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm torn. I really like the format and design of the "1066" version. Generally improved clarity and easier to read (well certainly on the computer screen). My slight concern is how well this works in real life, particularly the top left icon set (4 in the case of Demon). I just wonder how easy those will be to identify and number crunch during the game. This is where the "colour" icons have proved helpful in the betas. Quick to identify, sort or whatever a player needs to do.

I haven't got my 1066 cards to hand but I'll have a look at these, multiple cards in hand/on table, and see if this is workable in a FQ set up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to assume the art is a fluctuating thing atm anyway so will focus comments on the card.

Whilst I do like the revised format I found that having the icons down one side in the original layout allowed me slip cards beneath each other to determine what my total was. Whilst this potentially doesn't change I don't know if it is still possible having not seen your layout ideas for Items, Followers etc.

I don't mind losing the colours although I personally didn't have a problem reading the numbers against the background but the new is less "busy".

The font for Demon seems a little bland on the newer card which is a minor thing.

Not a fan of the coin bag icon although conversely do like the health icon. As an aside do any race/hero combinations start with more than 1 gold in the revised format? (I'd check but am at work and throwing a quick post up at lunch!) If not and everyone has one to start do you need the gold reminder (although as I write this I think to myself not everyone will have played before so best to cover all basis of game experience)

I guess like Boom04 I'm torn a bit as well, the original looks fresh the new looks professional. Either way it's your baby and we're along for the ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultimately, everyone has different tastes. Some like more, brighter colors, others prefer stark, higher contrast colors. Some like cool fonts and icons, others like plain font, flat icons.

The most important aspects are (IMO): Can you find the information you need at a glance? Can the text and numbers be read without squinting? Are icons distinct and not easily confused with one another? After all of that, does it still feel thematic and look interesting?

And if you can do all of that and still have plenty of room for cool artwork, then good job. There are definitely a lot of small ways to further improve the design, but I still feel this is a step forward from the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again everyone - I obviously can't incorporate every single suggested change, but here's some more tinkering for your amusement:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't like my sample designs, but took my advice anyway; I see how it is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
On the original card the words Race and Demon link together in an obvious way but not so much on the new ones...is there really any need for the word "Race" at all on the new card design?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:

I greatly value your advice sir, as I value and have taken advice from everyone else here too. cool
I never said I don't like your designs, I just agreed with you that our designs are similar. As I said to you privately, I hope you don't take it personally that I'm looking for a professional graphic designer instead - I just feel this little FQ community of ours deserves it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leighbob wrote:
On the original card the words Race and Demon link together in an obvious way but not so much on the new ones...is there really any need for the word "Race" at all on the new card design?

Perhaps not - what do people think?
It's mainly for sorting cards (the card type would appear in that position) but I could potentially use an icon as a card type identifier instead...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering what "Race" was there for. Card type; got it.

If it helps in the necessary sorting, by all means, keep it.
However, it does need to be centered on the scroll. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Montag451 wrote:

I greatly value your advice sir, as I value and have taken advice from everyone else here too. cool
I never said I don't like your designs, I just agreed with you that our designs are similar. As I said to you privately, I hope you don't take it personally that I'm looking for a professional graphic designer instead - I just feel this little FQ community of ours deserves it.

I'm only teasing. I didn't really expect a job anyway. Story of my life, "We like your work, but no thanks" . Best of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.