Subject: Pure deathmatch or objectives/scenerios? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher James
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How it this setup? Part of the reason I never got into X-Wing was because it was just deathmatch while attack wing had cool scenerios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Officially every match used the objective cards and scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Just as he said. Every match will have an additional objective that modifies scoring, deployment, or ship stats. There are twelve initially.

Examples:
One objective allows a player to deploy a single ship and some fighters after the match has started. That ship is basically hyperspace jumping into the fight.

One amounts to king of the hill, where you get points for having the most guns trained on an objective without running it over.

One has each player pick an opponent's ship to count as double points if destroyed.

It also sounds like (but i cant confirm) that newer expansions will/could come with new objective cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Coleman
United Kingdom
Hampton
Middlesex
flag msg tools
I'm pretty sure the Wave 2 Mon Calamari Frigate comes with new objective cards. It certainly comes with new objective and victory tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotta say that this is probably one of my favorite things about Armada. I'm not particularly fond of scenario set-ups like those found in X-Wing (just my personal taste) and it never really clicked as a straight 'deathmatch' type game for me, but I love objectives and overarching rules that can shape how conflicts play out. The fact that it's part of the fleet building process is super cool as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be more specific, during fleet construction each player chooses three objectives. Before setup, players compare point purchase and the lower player wins choice to be first or second player. Ties are a coin flip.

First player has initiative for the game. Before setup they also choose one of the three objectives that the second player brought.

The second player generally gets an advantage from the objective (particularly if they were smart and designed their fleet with their three objectives in mind).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the objective system has the potential to be an absolutely huge feature that makes Armada stand out of the crowd (and away from X-Wing), and no doubt it's been thoroughly playtested internally by FFG. But it will take time for a community verdict to come out. I personally can't wait to try it out.

I am slightly concerned that a few objectives will end up being overused and others ignored, or that the objectives might end up constricting the meta. We'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ideally the objective system is balanced. But if they good, at least it has some built in resistance as the opponent picks 1 of 3 objectives you bring. So if everything is balanced except one, yes we do lose some objective space but we still get some variety as they still get to pick from the other two objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
They are supposed to be assymmetric and some favor one side or the other. But for each one that favors one side there is one to favor the other. That is the basic idea.

One of the aggresive objectives allows a single ship in each fleet to fire twice out of one arc as long as it is at two different hull zones or ships. That favors imperials who are more likely to run smaller numbers of powerful ships. The opposite objective is one that allows every ship shooting at a single target to gain an attack die. Thjs favors rebels as they are more likely to run a swarm.

The thing to remember is that as more ships come out the rebels may be able to use ships like home one or mon remonda to take advantage of an objective the previously favored imperials

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.