Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's about time we had a new thread to play with, so I thought I would quickly jot down three things that I like about Star Trek Attack Wing.

The first, though not necessarily most important, thing I like about Star Trek is that it is (or at least can be) a tactical game. I am almost (but not) inclined to use the metaphor of a "satisfying game of chess" to flesh out the notion I am getting at - but where chess is very tactical, it is also very rigid - which means that it lacks the sort of creativity that makes the kind of tactical game I am talking about possible. I like to pit my wits against another like minded player, on a map where the terrain and objective are not necessarily the same as they were the last time I played. I like having to think on my feet, and I like thinking through my opponent's options, and making my best guess as to what he or she will do, so that I can make the move that will thwart their choice - I like being surprised by a tactic, I like losing a good tactical game as much as I like winning one.

The second thing I like about STAW is that it is Star Trek themed; meaning that I like that I can recreate various scenarios from my favorite episodes using the ships and crews from those episodes. I like pitting one faction/era against another, and I like the challenge of trying to win with a favorite faction against all comers. This lends itself to a more faction/penalty pure style of gaming, which though my preference, is only one facet of this game. I like that when I don't feel like indulging myself in thematic play, I can mix and match ships and upgrades to produce a competitive fleet that utterly ignores (insults?) the integrity of the Star Trek canon - that is, I like that I can use the game pieces as though they weren't Star Trek Themed at all - and just make my own hodge-podge fleet to pit against someone else's hodge-podge fleet.

The third thing I like, and I would say this is the biggest: I like the people I play with regularly. They make the game fun, and one of the reasons I hope this game succeeds is because I would like to keep on playing with these people - and the game gives us a ready excuse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry DeStefano
United States
Bloomingburg
New York
flag msg tools
3 Things

1) The Theme. Loved ST since the early 70's. Bought almost any Star Trek game on star ship combat I could get. STAW fits that niche extremely well.

2) The inherent flexibilty of the design. You can really mix/match any combo you can think of.

3) The possibilites that we can have in future STAW releases and how the same system can be ported to other genres and era's.

That's my 3. LLAP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to start by saying: great thread!

If I had to pick my top three, it would be:

1) Trying to think up clever builds.
2) Trying to out-wit my opponent in the maneuver game.
3) Star Trek theme.

And if I'm permitted to add a very close 4th, it would be the scenarios that come with the ships: there's some really good ones in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Fun thread that is probably needed in the STAW community every now and then.

My three things are:

1) Fleet Building. Space Dock is by far the most used app on my iPhone, especially during late nights when our 1 year old is up at 3am. I've come up with my past two OP builds in the middle of the night.

2) Competing in OPs with friends. My first ever "competitive game", but it's fun because my two closest friends play as well.

3) Star Trek theme. My 7 year old daughter catches a few TNG eps with me every now and then, and I hope that interest translates into playing STAW with me when she is older.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moppi Wurm
Germany
flag msg tools
1) Star Trek Theme and by that I don't mean just the fact, that it is branded with the name, but also the detail the developers have shown every now and then when bringing up the scenarios and cards. For example, just after I had bought the Kraxon expansion I watched the DS9 episode "Defiant" again and realized, that they took many details out of that episode and translated them into cards and the scenario.

2) Connection of wargame and cardgame. I've been playing "Lord of the Rings Tabletop-game" for 10 years or longer now and Attack Wing is something totally different and refreshing.

3) The variety of the game. It's great that you can play that many different factions, though I must admit I'm not a fan of nonsense combos like Picard and Phlox on a Borg Sphere with romulan cloaking device and cardassian disruptors or what not, those things let my Trekki-heart bleed However, you are able to fight Romulans with Vulcans, Hirogen with Klingons or whatever you like. And that's great .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Danvan wrote:
It's about time we had a new thread to play with, so I thought I would quickly jot down three things that I like about Star Trek Attack Wing.

Great thread!

Quote:
I like to pit my wits against another like minded player, on a map where the terrain and objective are not necessarily the same as they were the last time I played. I like having to think on my feet, and I like thinking through my opponent's options, and making my best guess as to what he or she will do, so that I can make the move that will thwart their choice - I like being surprised by a tactic, I like losing a good tactical game as much as I like winning one.

This. So this. I will also add that the past whining about "deck building/ killer combos" falls on deaf ears for me because I don't play any deck building games (ie Magic). The deck building aspect of STAW is awesome because it extends the game into strategic territory as well as tactical. Fleet building and following the meta are another chance to match wits with my opponent.

Quote:

The second thing I like about STAW is that it is Star Trek themed; meaning that I like that I can recreate various scenarios from my favorite episodes using the ships and crews from those episodes. .... I like that I can use the game pieces as though they weren't Star Trek Themed at all - and just make my own hodge-podge fleet to pit against someone else's hodge-podge fleet.

Yep, both. Love the Star Trek cannon, factions, potential for pure and mixing, eras, potential for crazy mirror universe/wormhole/singularity/temporal rift scenarios...BUT also could see using STAW rules for a generic, universal, customizable, miniatures spaceship battle game holy grail.

Quote:

The third thing I like, and I would say this is the biggest: I like the people I play with regularly. They make the game fun, and one of the reasons I hope this game succeeds is because I would like to keep on playing with these people - and the game gives us a ready excuse.

Moved to a new city/state right before STAW came out... All of my current FLGS gaming connections have come through this game. So yeah. Agree 100%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
msg tools
mb
Three things I love about Star Trek: Attack Wing
1.) The simple rule set. This makes the game easy to pick up for first-time players and keeps gameplay relatively straightforward. I really appreciate that the rulebook includes a method for resolving gameplay/rule disputes (both players roll 5 dice, the one with the most battle stations wins the argument). This has resolved disputes on several occasions during my games (especially too-close-to-call range and firing arc rulings), which makes the game less argumentative than other table top games like Warhammer 40K.

2.) The Customizability of fleets. Although the quality of various cards has differed, with some factions seemingly getting better upgrades than others, I have to say that overall I've been happy with the level of diversity in cards. It makes it so that each game plays out differently, that each ship's offensive/defensive capacities varies depending on the assigned upgrades and a player's preference. Certainly some ships are better than others; not every ship is suppose to be equal. But for the most part each faction has its own unique arsenal and it's fun to play around with different scenarios. I find playing faction / era pure there really isn't too big an issue with one faction being more powerful than the other (the Borg being the exception of course, but let's not rehash that old argument).

3.) The game is Star Trek themed. I really got into Star Trek after watching Deep Space Nine and the Dominion War arc really had me wanting to play out the various battles depicted in the show. I'm really glad that Attack Wing came out and has enabled me to play out those epic battles seen in the show.

My only real complaint about the game is that with so many tokens and pieces, start-up and clean-up takes a while. But this is the case of pretty much every table-top game, so Star Trek: Attack Wing is not unique in this respect. Also, would have preferred if the ships were scaled accurately, but then for scale-crazy fans like me there's the option of getting stand-in models. Contrary to the doom and gloom I often read on these forums, Star Trek: Attack Wing is a really fun game to play. Now if only I had more people to play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thot Prad wrote:
Now if only I had more people to play with.

Hey Matt. I seem to remember that you're in the GTA, right?

If so and you're interested in OPs, there is 401 Games which runs OPs, and you usually don't see any overly crazy combos. There's even a guy who runs Cardassian pure every single OP. Matter of Honor is this coming Monday (Mar 30) starting at 6:00pm. Comic Pile is hoping to get OP's started again soon (haven't had any since November when they moved to a smaller location). Feel free to PM me if you want any details re: either venue, and I'll pass along what info I have.

Also, once May rolls around and I no longer live at work (gotta love tax season), shoot me a PM and I'll be sure to send you an invite the next time I'm planning to play some STAW with a few friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
msg tools
mb
dprcooke wrote:
Thot Prad wrote:
Now if only I had more people to play with.

Hey Matt. I seem to remember that you're in the GTA, right?

If so and you're interested in OPs, there is 401 Games which runs OPs, and you usually don't see any overly crazy combos. There's even a guy who runs Cardassian pure every single OP. Matter of Honor is this coming Monday (Mar 30) starting at 6:00pm. Comic Pile is hoping to get OP's started again soon (haven't had any since November when they moved to a smaller location). Feel free to PM me if you want any details re: either venue, and I'll pass along what info I have.

Also, once May rolls around and I know longer live at work (gotta love tax season), shoot me a PM and I'll be sure to send you an invite the next time I'm planning to play some STAW with a few friends.

Yeah, I'm in Oshawa though so to get to 401 Games it's quite a commute. That's why I've been generally reluctant to come out to Toronto for game events, but I might start it now, especially since I have no classes on Mondays or Tuesdays. Or, since it's so close to U of T I may bring my fleet with me and head over there (assuming they have game nights on Wednesdays or Thursdays). Also, The Comic Pile isn't doing OPs anymore since their new location is too small (FYI, they're selling their Attack Wing sets at 50% off right now to clear out their stock). I know Comic Book Addiction in Whitby also has Attack Wing nights every third Tuesday of the month, so I should start going to that.

Thanks for the invite, I'll have some free time in May as well so I may just take you up on that offer. I should meet the Cardassian puritan at 401 Games, I've got a bunch of extra "Cardassian faction" cards I made that I could give him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. As so many have said before me, the Star Trek Theme. I too have bought every tactical game Star Trek themed, even the bad ones, that I have found. And this game's cards do give play a Star Trek feel, depending on what upgrades you are using. If they are mostly faction consistent, you can envision yourself in the shoes of famous captains from the show.

2. That at it's core it's a relatively simple game, though rules interactions can be a trial.

3. The multi-part strategy the game has including building and playing. It encourages a lot more thought and captures much more of my attention than say the Leviathan game, which is pretty, but fairly shallow in terms of possibilities.

I waited a long time between Star Trek tactical games and I'm glad this one came along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thot Prad wrote:
Yeah, I'm in Oshawa though so to get to 401 Games it's quite a commute. That's why I've been generally reluctant to come out to Toronto for game events, but I might start it now, especially since I have no classes on Mondays or Tuesdays. Or, since it's so close to U of T I may bring my fleet with me and head over there (assuming they have game nights on Wednesdays or Thursdays). Also, The Comic Pile isn't doing OPs anymore since their new location is too small (FYI, they're selling their Attack Wing sets at 50% off right now to clear out their stock). I know Comic Book Addiction in Whitby also has Attack Wing nights every third Tuesday of the month, so I should start going to that.

Thanks for the invite, I'll have some free time in May as well so I may just take you up on that offer. I should meet the Cardassian puritan at 401 Games, I've got a bunch of extra "Cardassian faction" cards I made that I could give him.

Unfortunately, as far as I know the only STAW you'll see at 401 Games is on the OP nights, normally the last Monday of every month. One any given evening, 401 tends to have 4-6 different events (Magic, Yugio, My Little Pony, RPG's, etc.) going on, so while there are always games, I'd be surprised if you saw any STAW on a Wednesday or Thursday. For Comic Pile, as of about a month ago, I know Dale was considering starting OPs back up on a limited basis (max 6 players due to space), but I don't know what's happening with that. Of course, if he's clearing out the stock, if may be that he's decided not to
I haven't been to Whitby yet myself, since for me it's a commute in the other direction (going the same way as rush hour traffic!). There also at least used to be a store somewhere in Markham (Woodbine and something I think) that hosted non-OP AW nights, but I never made it up there and don't know if they're still doing them.

--------

So as to keep this conversation at least marginally on-topic, I'll add another thing I love about this game: the great people I've gotten to meet playing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikey
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
1. Building non-canonical ships/fleets just to mess with my friends. "No no no, you can't have Captain Weyoun on the NX-01 with Kazon crew. You're mixing your quadrants and time-frames again." Hehe. devil

2. The ship missions. I think they have the right balance of fluff and game mechanics.

3. It's a tactical tabletop miniature wargame that doesn't require painting! Sure, many do repaint the ships - but after decades of playing 40k, I'm happy that it doesn't require painting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thot Prad wrote:

My only real complaint about the game is that with so many tokens and pieces, start-up and clean-up takes a while. But this is the case of pretty much every table-top game, so Star Trek: Attack Wing is not unique in this respect. Also, would have preferred if the ships were scaled accurately, but then for scale-crazy fans like me there's the option of getting stand-in models. Contrary to the doom and gloom I often read on these forums, Star Trek: Attack Wing is a really fun game to play. Now if only I had more people to play with.

OP events are almost faster than get casual games on this point - since if I know what the scenario is, I tend to do all the setup work at home, then come with only those items I will need to play that scenario, and set up and clean up can be done quickly.

But really, I've only brushed off the "clean up" till when I get home, after which I have to pull everything out, sort it all back proper, then put it away - which often takes an hour or more.

When I play causally, I bring everything, and we typically spend time picking a scenario, then we can spend half an hour to an hour fretting over the build, then when that game is over we do it again for another scenario etc.

Part of the problem for me is, that I have a large fleet, and I want to consider every ship when I play - so it takes a lot of time, and I have everything in little boxes, and packed into as small a footprint as possible, which makes getting something, or putting something away, a bit of a puzzle.

But that is the nature of the beast, yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.