Popular Tags: [View All]
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 9 year old son Xavy and I are playing through the campaign adventures included with the expansions. Counting the two adventures from the starters, we stand at 3 and 2, with our XP at 4 for me, 2 for Xavy. The second starter adventure gives the Galederos player (me) a chance at 2xp, so I'm slightly more ahead than our record suggests.

I let Xavy choose which side he wants to play after reviewing the adventure. Big Game Hunting showcases the Frost Giant expansion, and pits Jarl Horn against a mix of non-unique creatures in a hunting adventure set against a windy, dangerous mountain range. Xavy chooses to play the hunted, so I get to kit out the Jarl.

We build our lists in secret, although Xavy knows I'm limited to just the Jarl. There's a couple of ways to build up Jarl, but knowing that I'll be facing larger numbers, I want to make sure I take Blackguard's Mail. Not only does it increase his Armor to 2, but it can reduce a Crit down to a normal hit, giving me more time to score trophies for the Jarl's mantle.
[url]
http://build.dndaw.com/link/MzAxOjMwODoxOTA2OjMwMzozMDQ6MTIw...[/url]

I give Jarl his Frost Battle Axe, and some Rock Catching...never know if a ballista is going to show up. I complete his upgrades with Blade Barrier. Healing Prayer was another option, but I wanted to kill things quickly.

Xavy is limited by the adventure to non-unique creatures only. He won the OP1 Fellowship prize and as been itching to use it against me. It's not Arviaturace, but an ancient white dragon is nothing to sneeze at. It's accompanied by a dragon cultist...his OP2 draw.

http://build.dndaw.com/link/OTAyOjkwMzo5MDUsMTMwMjoxMzAzOjEz...

He's packing cold breath and tail sweep...going to be useless, but so is my Rock Catching...on his dragon, and Minor Acid Breath and Hazirawn on his cultist. He's making the most of his bonus XP points, although he can't fill that bonus arcane slot without giving something up.

We set up the mountain peaks, review the special rules about them, and off we go!

I've got Jarl set up slightly on my right flank, with his creatures dead center in his start zone. Opening turn, Jarl advances slightly to the right, trying to get outside the dragon's attack arc with plans to single out the cultist, take it out, and then finish off the dragon. Xavy banks both his creatures left...making a bee line for the Jarl.

Turn two, the cultist slogs forward, taking a dodge, while the ancient white shows off his speed with a 5 forward. Xavy realizes that he's likely overshot the Jarl, so he stays flying, and away from a charge/axe attack. The Jarl pulls a 2 Turn, going head to head with the cultist, and readies Blade Barrier. I could have charged, and probably should have, but I wanted to get the Barrier up for the extra, undefendable attack.

The Jarl's cultist dodges the Jarl's axe attack, and then gets ready to make his counter, but takes 2 damage from the Blade Barrier first. Xavy rolls well...but Blackguard's Mail, 2 Armor, and a Dodge result means no damage against the giant.

Turn 3, and I'm starting to worry about that dragon. Frost Breath could really deliver some damage, even with my automatic dodge result from being a Frost giant. While the dragon tries to come about...not an easy thing to do...and the Cultist slowly advances, I move the Jarl up 1 and take a target I've also put myself in the dragon's tail arc...Blackgaurd's Mail is really going to be tested this turn!

Even with the target token, I don't roll very well against the cultist, and only manage one more hit. Or rather, I rolled 2 hits and a crit, but with a dodge token and a rolled dodge result, Xavy manages to keep the cultist alive for another turn. But he won't be rolling any more defense dice until he can clear the Crit I score on him. His return attack is again deflected by Blackguard's Mail. Likewise, the dragon's tail attack (and it's at this point that we realize that Tail Sweep isn't going to do anything for him) is deflected by the armor. Which Xavy is quickly starting to dislike.

The next turn presents a challenge...do I try to keep avoiding the dragon, and risk losing the cultist? Can I even predict what Xavy is going to do with the cultist so I can finish it off? While the dragon completes its turn...flying a little too close to a mountain peak, and getting forced to take an Exhaustion token...the cultist attempts to bank right, trying to evade the Jarl. But I've decided to Pivot, so I can keep him in my front arc. Jarl finishes off the cultist with a solid blow from the Frost Axe.

Unfortunately, this leaves Jarl square in the attack arc of the dragon, who has a frost breath attack primed and ready to go. It's boosted to 6 dice because of my pivot, but I'm getting a bonus Dodge result because it's a cold attack. But Blackguard's Mail will be of no help here.

Lucky for me, Xavy doesn't roll any Crits. But he does roll 3 hits, reduced to 2 through damage Type. I have to find a way to finish off a 2 armor, 6 hit dragon before he can get me in his Cold Breath sights again.

We're going head to head now, but Xavy's not very maneuverable. He starts to slowly come around, but he's getting very close to the table edge. He does drop his exhaustion token, and swoops in an effort to tail attack me.

I manage to guess where he'd be again, and take a pivot to face him. I opt not to use the Frost Axe. Without the bonus Charge dice, it just means that I can either roll a 4 dice rock attack, or a 5 dice axe attack that will have one guaranteed cancelled dice. I toss a rock, which bounces off his armor harmlessly.

Facing the edge of the map, Xavy pulls another short bank, and lands his dragon. I've finally got him! I pull a 1 forward, and Charge. I'm again in his flank, so he won't be attacking. this time, my axe bites deep, and even with the free cancel, I score 3 hits. he's half dead! Compare to my 40% dead! It's very close.

Next turn, Xavy has to pivot to turn away from the map edge, and takes flight again. I turn off to Jarl's left, so no attacks this turn.

Xavy advances with a 3 bank his next turn, and I complete the Jarl's turn. The dragon is swooping, and i've got a clear shot at his tail, so I charge.

My attack this time is less effective, scoring only a single hit. Xavy's tail is more effective, rolling 4 hits on 5 dice. Jarl's armor absorbs 2 more, but he's down to his last hit, while the dragon has 2 left.

Xavy can't come about, so he continues to keep me in his tail arc, while i get another chance to Charge attack. There's a very real chance that we'll defeat each other, which would result in a win for me as Jarl is the higher level creature.

But his axe attack fails to score the 2 hits he needs. With a single life left, the dragon swipes at Jarl...and finishes him off!

When he recovers, Jarl can retrieve the cultist...at least he's got SOME trophy to show for his efforts, but the ancient white dragon has eluded his mantle for now. Somehow, I get the feeling this isn't the first time the Jarl has attempted to bag this particular beast.

The adventure story reveals that the titanic battle revealed a giant statue, the guardian for the Primoridal Graveyard. In winning, Xavy scores another XP, giving him 3 to my 4...and access to the Scale of the White Worm, and again ties us up in wins, now 3-3.

I was very impressed with Blackguard's mail, but equally impressed with the ancient white. Even with a very basic upgrade set...even one that was useless...it's very hard creature to kill.

I continue to be less impressed with the dragon cultist. I do think Xavy should have used his Minor Acid Breath at least once. With a Target token to provide re-rolls, it presented a better chance to get through the Jarl's Armor of 2 than Hazirawn did.

Looking ahead, we've finally reached Calamity's mission. Xavy of course picks to play Calamity ("Calamity is awesome," he says. "I'm going to crush you!") I'll be getting Balagos and his minions, which should give me a chance to try out the Hobgoblins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report, Bobb!

A quick note about the Frost Axe: since the text includes the word "may," you may always opt to ignore it, which means you can make a normal melee attack without the +1 attack die (and consequently without giving a cold critter the free dodge result).

Looking forward to your next report!

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did realize it was optional...although I opted in those instances where it mattered to throw a rock. I'm not very good on doing dice maths...I know, not really a good trait for a game like this...so I sometimes have a hard time deciding between 6 dice with one miss, or 5 dice straight up. My limited dice math skill tells me the non-axe + charge attack is better than rolling 6 and dropping one strike result off the bat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
kingbobb wrote:
I did realize it was optional...although I opted in those instances where it mattered to throw a rock. I'm not very good on doing dice maths...I know, not really a good trait for a game like this...so I sometimes have a hard time deciding between 6 dice with one miss, or 5 dice straight up. My limited dice math skill tells me the non-axe + charge attack is better than rolling 6 and dropping one strike result off the bat.

Actually, I think you may be better off using the axe with a Target action.
Assuming you don't need the charge to get into melee range, that is.
Great report, as always.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.