Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a PC game that fits these requirements:

1. Fun with lot's of strategy.

2. Cheap-or even free-but cheap is fine.

3. I have a slower system so I don't need lot's of fancy graphics.

Any type of game is fine, although I'm not a fan of first-person-shooters or real action-heavy games. I also didn't like Civilization III all that much (if that helps).

I'm asking because boardgamers because I haven't had much luck with recommendations from people who play a lot of PC games.

Thanks a lot BGG, never let's me down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Logging plays since 2004
badge
Oh, so you actually think about what you are saying?
mbmbmbmbmb
My number one recommendation is Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic edition. It's been out long enough that it should be cheap. It is a turn-based strategy fantasy-themed game. The single player aspect is not that great, but it really shines with play by email against human opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Have you taken a look at this website before?

www.gamerankings.com

I use it to find out info about console and PC games much like I use BGG for boardgames.

If you click on "The Rankings"... it takes you to a search tool where you can filter games by rating/year/category etc.

For example... The top rated PC Strategy games from the year 2000, 2001, 2002 etc. These should be relatively inexpensive by now as well as being relatively easy on the processor as they are somewhat simpler than newer releases.

I have found out a lot of info about interesting computer/console games on that site and I'm sure it can help in your search.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
x-com, ufo defense

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
Stars!

http://www.starsfaq.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
goo I've always enjoyed the real-time-strategy games. Starcraft and Age of Empires II (age of Kings) are two favorites...oldies, but goodies. Recently I've been playing Sudden Strike, a type of WWII real-time game (but without the production element of most RTS games). Don't know what your comp's specs are, but even if it's older, it should be able to handle the first two with no problem. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OpenTTD - the Open Source reverse-engineering effort centred around Transport Tycoon Deluxe. Many hours of strategic transport planning await you here:

http://www.openttd.org

The only caveat is that you need the original TTD data files for the graphics, sounds, etc. They aren't provided by OpenTTD due to copyright restrictions, but they aren't impossible to find...

The project aims to eventually detach itself from these files and use its own resource files.

EDIT: I'd also agree with the recommendation for Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic. Definitely worth playing, if you like turn-based strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.wesnoth.org/ seems to get a lot of recommendations. I've grabbed it - it's a free download - but have yet to do much than have a quick poke around with it. Seems quite a similar style to Warlords, if you're familiar with the line on the PC. Looks to be more tactical than strategic, but so are most of the PC games with 'strategy' anywhere in the description devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly strategic, and has some action, but I would recommend Star Control 2 at http://sc2.sourceforge.net/. This space-exploration game is one the greatest games of all time, and is now available for free for all platforms.

You didn't like Civ 3, but I would still have to recommend Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. I hated Civ 3 myself, yet SMAC remains one of my all-time favourites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwandke wrote:
x-com, ufo defense

This is an oldschool classic and one of the best PC games ever made, in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen
United States
Ferndale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steel Panthers? It meets all three of your requirements.

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/SPCamo/wSPMBT/1.htm
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/SPCamo/wSPWW2/1.htm
http://www.steelpanthersonline.com/main.asp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
real time strategy: age of empires 2, starcraft, warcraft 3

adventure (puzzle solving with a storyline): monkey island 3 & 4, full throttle, grim fandango

free turn based shooting: gunbound
www.gunbound.net

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I wish I could leave my bones and my skin and float over the tired, tired sea, so that I could see you again
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
I still believe that X-Com UFO Defense has really never been topped as far as game play. It's way old and certainly cheap.

In the same category of old/cheap/runs on slow system, I would list: Railroad Tycoon (strangely addictive), Fallout (great science fiction roleplaying and adventure, turn-based combat), Steel Panthers (highly recommended, great explosion sounds!) and if you like puzzles I love, love, love the Lemmings and Incredible Machine games. All of these should be dirt cheap by now.

I liked Grim Fandango, too, but I got stuck at a certain point and could never get past it. Vampire: The Masquerade was pretty cool, too. Possibly American McGee's Alice (in Wonderland), a shooter but surreal, bizarre, trippy and just flat out weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galactic Civilizations-Ultimate Edition is cool. They have a Gal Civ 2 out now, but this earlier version is fine by itself. It's about $30 if you have a high bandwith connection for download, or $35 shipped from Stardock. It uses 1024x768x16-bit graphics. You need about 700 MB on your hard drive. They say the minimum processor speed should be 600 MHz P3, but they also say that as long as you avoid "gigantic" galaxies you could get by with 300 MHz. You could probably get by with even less if you turn off certain options. Strange how even the weirdest looking aliens are basically humanoid...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I really recommend the Lucas Arts adventure games because they are a one time deal and don't create any addictions. When you are done you are done and feel great (a sense of accomplishment?), instead of the urge to keep playing and playing it again.

Plus they have great storylines and humour. If you get stuck on the puzzles you can google for the solutions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.