Andy K.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Way-whu-nuh-now?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I read a number of session reports on BGG, and I've found that the ASL session reports are my favorite* and that when one pops up I click on it instantly. I can feel the tension, understand the tactics, and, most importantly, read a story.

I know I could jump in to ASLSK#2, but I worry about biting off a little more than I can chew. So hurry up MMP! Reprint that sucker!

Hope to see you on the field of battle.

ACK ACK

*Many BGG members are excellent writers and put together narrative or humorous session reports on all kinds of games. It's just that I find the ASL reports have consistently better narratives than the other game reports .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew,

You don't have to wait for the reprint (unless you want to), if I am not mistaken (I only own ASLSK 1) both ASLSK 2 and ASLSK 3 have "only infantry" scenarios (like the ones in ASLSK 1) so you could get ASLSK 3 and learn only the infantry rules (the ones in ASLSK 1) and play those scenarios, and afterwards "graduate" to ASLSK 2 and 3.

Obviously, playing through ASLSK 1 will give you a good knowledge of infantry rules and tactics so the rest will be easier, but you could achieve almost the same result playing a few times the infantry only scenarios of ASLSK 2 or 3.

My 2 cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
Andrew,

You don't have to wait for the reprint (unless you want to), if I am not mistaken (I only own ASLSK 1) both ASLSK 2 and ASLSK 3 have "only infantry" scenarios (like the ones in ASLSK 1) so you could get ASLSK 3 and learn only the infantry rules (the ones in ASLSK 1) and play those scenarios, and afterwards "graduate" to ASLSK 2 and 3.

Obviously, playing through ASLSK 1 will give you a good knowledge of infantry rules and tactics so the rest will be easier, but you could achieve almost the same result playing a few times the infantry only scenarios of ASLSK 2 or 3.

My 2 cents.

What he said. I started with ALSK#2 and everything went fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy K.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Way-whu-nuh-now?!
mbmbmbmbmb
You're chipping away at my resolve.

Part of my reason for waiting is that I've just started a new project for work which I should be spending a great deal of time on right now rather than puzzling over routing rules. (So why am I posting on BGG at midday? I wonder.) By the way, I've read through some of the rules restatements/clarifications here on the 'Geek. Big thanks for those.

Another reason is that I'm somewhat of a completist and I don't want to miss out on counters, maps, and scenarios. This isn't a great reason because I can always go back and pick up SK#1 later.

Oh no! My car keys and wallet are calling me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Certainly no reason not to get SK2 now, and 1 later when it's available. You'll have plenty of fun with #2 while you're biding your time.

Don't know whether you've seen this one or not...it's a great AAR of SK 1 scenario 2, "War of the Rats".

http://files.boardgamegeek.com/viewfile.php3?fileid=18856

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bucey
United States
Lancaster
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Part of my reason for waiting is that I've just started a new project for work which I should be spending a great deal of time on right now rather than puzzling over routing rules.

Think of it as Stress Relief.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
I would start with SK1 personally. There's a lot more to digest in SK2, even if you just play the infantry only scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy K.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Way-whu-nuh-now?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, okay, I'm convinced. ASLSK #2 it is.

Thanks for pushing me over the edge. If I get fired and have to make my living as an ASL-sharp, I'm blaming all of you.

A very kind user offered to walk me through a scenario on VASL once I've read through the rules. We'll start with infantry only. I don't know exactly when this will happen, but I'm looking forward to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris van Wyk
South Africa
Stellenridge, Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
I would start with SK1 personally. There's a lot more to digest in SK2, even if you just play the infantry only scenarios.

I would say that you should be OK if you start with SK2. The Gun rules in SK2 does not add that much extra complexity to the game. You should be able to get the infantry rules sorted with the infantry only scenarios in SK2. Fortunately the SK2 Gun rules shield you a lot from all the Case modifiers in full ASL.

You should however start thinking of getting some real play time. This will help to digest the rules is SK2. With VASL this is easy enough, even if you do not have a face to face partner. There are enough guys out there that will help if you ask. Also try to find an ASL/SK life partner, i.e. someone you can get a regular arrangement to play with.

IMHO SK3 will be a little bit tougher on someone that needs to get to grips with infantry rules, gun rules and vehicles. I am sure SK3 will shield you from the extra Case modifiers as with SK2, but getting everything on the board to function as one to complete the scenario objective(s) might be easier said than done.

Also, SK2 experience will help a lot as Armored Fighting Vehicles(AFV) are really only guns on wheels. OK, they are a bit more than that, they have armor, mounted machine guns, move different to infantry, are immune to small arms fire (except MGs) and allows for interesting Close Combat encounters.

I recall this one big scenario, spanning all 3 SK3 boards, set in late war with big toys for both sides ... it was awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.