Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Starter Decks for new players (multiplayer) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Casey L
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
A few friends and I want to get into this game, we've picked up a few starter packs.

We'd like to combine some of the initial factions together, but aren't sure of good combos for beginner play. The rules don't give much advice when it comes to pre-built starter decks.

I'm looking for advice like:

Cthulu + Miskatonic + 2 neutrals is great for starters

Syndicate + Shub + 2 neutrals isn't so great.. etc, etc.

Would love your advice!

Edit: Looks like two of my friends went all out and purchased Terror in Venice,The Key and the Gate, and Secrets of Arkham too. So any suggestions with those would be much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how many Core sets you have ("a few starter packs"?), but I think you're going to be at the point where pretty much any faction combination should work OK.

Naturally, Yog will have an advantage of extra cards since you have their faction box. They're probably the only ones at this point that could run a single-faction deck.

And on the opposite end of the spectrum, Silver Twilight probably won't have enough cards yet to be more than a small splash into a deck since they don't have any cards in the Core or Secrets of Arkham. If you want to pair them with anyone, I'd recommend putting them with Yog and letting Yog occupy more of the deck.

I'll make you a deal though... If you can tell me how many Core sets you have and pick some faction pairs I'd be glad to make some sample decks for you. Alternately, if you'd prefer me to pick some faction pairs I can do that too (but I still would like to know how many Cores I have to work with).

If you want to make your own (now or in the future) the best thing to do is use the online deck builder at: http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/callofcthulhu/call-of-ct...

You can filter it to show just the expansions you own as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.