Nathan Norton
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own this yet, but it's in my cross hairs to pick up relatively soon. For the purposes of leveling a party up, I was wondering if the rules allow for replaying Scenarios in the same Adventure Path. Does this break the the balance in the tougher adventure paths and scenarios if you over-level your party and just tear through the "tougher" scenarios?

Thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules allow you to replay scenarios, but you can only gain the scenario reward (the reward specially listed on the scenario card) 1 time. You can improve your deck by acquiring better boons from the actual play of the scenario. But yes, you will make the game easier by doing so. Replaying one or two hear or there because someone in your group missed is one thing, but replaying repeatedly to improve your deck will definitely make the game easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Norton
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
269Hawkmoon wrote:
The rules allow you to replay scenarios, but you can only gain the scenario reward (the reward specially listed on the scenario card) 1 time. You can improve your deck by acquiring better boons from the actual play of the scenario. But yes, you will make the game easier by doing so. Replaying one or two hear or there because someone in your group missed is one thing, but replaying repeatedly to improve your deck will definitely make the game easier.

That makes sense. I just worry that that initial 2 paths available in the base game and their scenarios would wear out a tad quickly. Odds are we wouldn't get it to the table enough times in a row to actually make future paths so easy that the game bends to the point of breaking.

While I have your attention...how does leveling up Characters actually work? Specifically, I mean increasing hand size and increasing deck component sizes and such? Where do those boons come into play and how exactly do you unlock them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, to clarify some terms: boons are cards. Specifically, they are the cards that are in your deck. Weapons, Spells, Armor, Items, Allies, and Blessings are all boons. The other type of cards are banes. Villain, henchmen, monsters and barriers are all banes. You try to acquire boons and defeat banes.

There are also feats. You have 3 types of feats: Skill feats, power feats, and card feats. You only earn those as the reward for scenarios (or adventures, which are a completed set of scenarios). We are rewarded with a feat you check off a box in the appropriate section. Hand size is a power feat. Those rewards are spaced out through the game.

Everyone starts with a 15 card deck, and it has to conform to the types of cards in your card list (maybe 3 weapon, 0 spell, 2 armor, 4 item, 2 ally, 4 blessings). And when you first start all the cards have to have the Basic trait on them. When you play a scenario, you will be encountering boons (the cards you put in your deck). If you manage to acquire the boon, it goes in your hand and is yours for the rest of the scenario. After the scenario is over, win or loose, you have to reconstruct your deck back to 15 cards again conforming to the card list for your character. But you can choose from any card in your possession when the scenario ends. Some scenarios also give you random rewards of certain cards (like each character draws a random weapon from the box).

So, you'll be replacing the cards you started with with better cards just by the actual game play. But you won't improve your skills or powers or be able to have more than 15 cards without the feat rewards. When you get rewarded with a card feat, maybe you'll check the box to go from 3 weapons to 4. When you get a power feat, you might choose to check the box to increase your hand size by 1.

There is also a reward after the 3rd adventure of a role card, which unlocks a whole new set of powers for your character to choose from when you get a power feat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, for the sake of clarifying, there are two separate games right now, and they are called adventure paths: Rise of the Runelords and Skull and Shackles. Each of those adventure paths is broken up into adventures. And each adventure is broken up into scenarios. Both of those 2 games have an introductory adventure, and then 6 adventure decks. For Rise of the Runelords, that is 33 scenarios (3 in the intro, 5 in each adventure deck). For Skull and Shackles it is 35 (5 in the intro, 5 in each adventure deck).

You do not take a character that completed Rise of the Runelords and play them in Skull and Shackles. You are supposed to start new characters when you start an adventure path.

Adventure path 3 will be out in May. But since all the games are separate, you don't have to buy all 3 to have a complete game. You can just buy the products for the adventure path you want to play.

The games are compatible in the sense that you can use cards from one with cards from the other if you want. So, if you wanted to take Harsk from Rise of the Runelords and try him in Skull and Shackles, you could. But you would be starting Harsk with a basic 15 card deck and no feats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Norton
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All very helpful toward understanding the game. Thank you. I definitely didn't realize boon was a specific piece of the nomenclature. I was just using it in the general use of the word.

Anyway, thank you! A huge help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are welcome. You might find this guide helpful:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/101370/guide-new-players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.