Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Mottainai» Forums » General

Subject: Mottainai Cost rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We're looking into options for larger, folded reference cards, and the box that would accommodate sleeved cards. Probably the MSRP of the game is going to wind up in the $14-15 range when all is said and done with all this. I want to make sure this game has top notch presentation and components, and still fits easily for travel. It's a game you should take everywhere, after all!
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For people interested in two sets, I know you had mentioned coming up with ways to differentiate the card decks. Would you be able to just leave the decks combined when playing with 2 or 3? For Star Realms some people just play with a giant stack of cards instead of separating the decks. Also, I'd assume they would, but are they definitely all going to come in separate boxes?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mpalframan wrote:
For people interested in two sets, I know you had mentioned coming up with ways to differentiate the card decks. Would you be able to just leave the decks combined when playing with 2 or 3? For Star Realms some people just play with a giant stack of cards instead of separating the decks. Also, I'd assume they would, but are they definitely all going to come in separate boxes?


You could leave the stacks shuffled, but take 54 cards away (to preserve the end game condition). It may result in unusual distribution of cards though. A game with no smiths!

There will be two options at least for the Kickstarter, a standard 2-3 player box, and a larger box with two decks in it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Huter
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume that's the MSRP for a single 54 card deck edition? If so, that seems in-line with normal industry prices, especially if it is likely to see "normal" on-line discounts. Basically, that should place it around $10 a pack and at that price I'd buy two so I could play 4-6 players. Unless I'm gaming with my son, I typically have at least 4 at a gaming session. If my out of pocket is going to be $15 per deck, I'm less likely to pick-up two packs and may not pick-up a single pack since I do so little 2-3 player gaming. I'll have to give it some thought since $30 is approaching big box game territory.

With all that said, any chance for a double deck edition? Tichu comes with a double deck at this price range, but I can appreciate that Tichu likely enjoys economies of scale that Mottainai is unlikely to enjoy.

A few advantages of a double deck release:
- Greater economies of scale (likely to print more cards)
- More easily justify a larger box, which means more room for the mats, especially without folding.
- I suspect a double deck edition should cost less to manufacture than two copies of single deck edition since there's a single box, single packing, single shipping, etc. Thus, possibly better margin.
- Also, it would allow you to place an icon on the face of one of the decks to ease separation of decks when going from 4-6 players back to 2-3 players

The main disadvantage I see for a double deck release is the higher entry point for the game assuming there will not be both single and double deck editions. I highly suspect having both single and double deck editions is unworkable from an economic standpoint.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am happy to pay more for a nicer version of this game
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jbhuter6041 wrote:
I assume that's the MSRP for a single 54 card deck edition? If so, that seems in-line with normal industry prices, especially if it is likely to see "normal" on-line discounts. Basically, that should place it around $10 a pack and at that price I'd buy two so I could play 4-6 players. Unless I'm gaming with my son, I typically have at least 4 at a gaming session. If my out of pocket is going to be $15 per deck, I'm less likely to pick-up two packs and may not pick-up a single pack since I do so little 2-3 player gaming. I'll have to give it some thought since $30 is approaching big box game territory.

With all that said, any chance for a double deck edition? Tichu comes with a double deck at this price range, but I can appreciate that Tichu likely enjoys economies of scale that Mottainai is unlikely to enjoy.

A few advantages of a double deck release:
- Greater economies of scale (likely to print more cards)
- More easily justify a larger box, which means more room for the mats, especially without folding.
- I suspect a double deck edition should cost less to manufacture than two copies of single deck edition since there's a single box, single packing, single shipping, etc. Thus, possibly better margin.
- Also, it would allow you to place an icon on the face of one of the decks to ease separation of decks when going from 4-6 players back to 2-3 players

The main disadvantage I see for a double deck release is the higher entry point for the game assuming there will not be both single and double deck editions. I highly suspect having both single and double deck editions is unworkable from an economic standpoint.


Yeah -- I want to have a doubledeck edition. It may be that the double-deck is only available directly from Asmadi, to avoid retail problems. I'm going to investigate with distribution how that sort of plays out.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Raue
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to hear you are considering larger player mats and a box to accommodate sleeved cards. I'm planning to sleeve my copy as it makes it easier to pick up cards, which you do a lot in this game. Will the cardstock be like red7 or Innovation?

I would pay $20-$30 for a double deck but I know it would sell a lot more as a single deck with a lower price point.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Card stock will be like Red7.

What it looks like right now is $15 for a single deck, $25 for a double deck. And those are MSRP, so I'm sure pretty much everywhere will sell them for $12 and $20. The imaginary prices game is fun!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it a big hassle to make the player boards as two cards? That's what I've done with my PnP.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever is in it, I'd like to see an Innovation / Impulse size box. It might fit in a smaller box, but I think if nothing else, it deserves to rank alongside those games, and they have a lovely box size. The player mats can then also be that same size. Could a single box across the board not work just fine, and just remove / refold the insert to fit a second deck? Don't see 108 *sleeved* cards fitting in that box though really.

Quote:
Is it a big hassle to make the player boards as two cards? That's what I've done with my PnP.
This sounds very portable, but very hard to manage. I'd rather the board was bigger than at present, not smaller / cut up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cut up really isn't a viable option. They'd slide everywhere and look bad on the table.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe invert it like the GtR:BB minicamp, to allow splayed piles rather than tucking.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Squidd wrote:
Maybe invert it like the GtR:BB minicamp, to allow splayed piles rather than tucking.


There is a small problem with this idea. In Mottanai works are placed in both sides of board and could be confused with assistans and sales
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it gets a little hard to read the board situation unfortunately.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rafal100 wrote:
There is a small problem with this idea. In Mottanai works are placed in both sides of board and could be confused with assistans and sales


I'm not sure why this would be a problem. Just leave a centimeter of white space between (e.g.) the word SALES and the edge of the player mat.

When you play your first sale card, overlap it with that whitespace on the player mat (and overlap any future sales with that first card, etc). When you play a work, don't overlap it with anything. See? Problem solved.

Having the default be to tuck cards is actually a constant (albeit, yes, minor) pain when playing Impulse and Innovation for me. Would be great to not face that!

Though actually... I guess one could switch to splayed cards with the current player mat design just by turning the cards upside down. This would further distinguish them from finished works! I might try that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, nobody's forcing you to tuck them under, you can do it mini-camp style if that's your preference. But in my experience it's easier to tuck them underneath for table space and clarity of board reading.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
rafal100 wrote:
There is a small problem with this idea. In Mottanai works are placed in both sides of board and could be confused with assistans and sales


I'm not sure why this would be a problem. Just leave a centimeter of white space between (e.g.) the word SALES and the edge of the player mat.

When you play your first sale card, overlap it with that whitespace on the player mat (and overlap any future sales with that first card, etc). When you play a work, don't overlap it with anything. See? Problem solved.

Having the default be to tuck cards is actually a constant (albeit, yes, minor) pain when playing Impulse and Innovation for me. Would be great to not face that!

Though actually... I guess one could switch to splayed cards with the current player mat design just by turning the cards upside down. This would further distinguish them from finished works! I might try that.


When I'm Scoring/Achieving/tucking/Mining , I'm usually glad, and not in pain
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.