Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I would like to ask about one thing folks

How do you handle such situations:

your mage is nature mage, it mostly target living creatures, you opponent is necromancer, fighting with non living creatures. How to deal with that?

Or

your mage is fire mage, opponent use nature cards which are vulnerable to fire, how your opponent deal with this?

I am asking as we are going to start building our mage decks. How should be choose mages? draft? If I choose necro and my wife druid I will have huge handicap... i think

Can someone share his/her thoughts on that topic?

I will be glad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some strategies are vulnerable to other strategies, like plants vs fire. There is no perfect strategy that is always going to be great in every situation. The solution is to build back up plans into your book. Try to think of what would be good against your Plan A, and then build a Plan B to counter that. So, if the Druid is afraid of Flame, she should pack some spells to put out Burns and include one or two creatures which are not vulnerable to Flame.

I would also recommend that you don't discuss your books with your wife until after you've finished building them, because otherwise you'll both be trying to make books specifically to counter each other. Keep information as limited as you can until you actually play. Then after you play, you can discuss the books, what worked and what didn't, and then you should go and modify the books in secret once again (which may include building a whole new book with a new mage).

Druid vs Necromancer is not a bad match up though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Spence
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always play Mage Wars not knowing what type of mage I will be going up against. I think it's more fun that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nature Mage vs nonliving

You don't really need to target the nonliving creatures with anything that can't target them so I don't really see the issue. Nature enchantments and healing incantations target your creatures, and most of the curses you might be interested in running to interfere with enemy creatures can target nonliving creatures.

Kralathor is a strong option against undead.

If your main plan relies on Dire Wolves, make sure to run an alternative plan, as Dire Wolves are absolutely awful against nonliving creatures.

Don't fight an attrition battle with zombies or Iron Golems.

Consider running Etherian Lifetree and playing it if your opponent relies on nonliving creatures. It will make your creatures harder to kill and give them very little benefit.

Druid vs fire

Consider running at least 2 animals or other non-plant creatures. Steelclaw Grizzly, Galador, Protector of Straywood, and Guardian Angel are solid options for the Druid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great answer

Thank you both of you

SO basically, we set up a strategy but need to have a plan B in case that, like in example above, Dire Wolves would not work and thats all ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.