Sovereignty of Dust» Forums » Reviews

Subject: An unfortunate dud rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Schaer
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
GREETINGS, PROFESSOR FALKEN. SHALL WE PLAY A GAME?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I Kickstarted Sovereignty of Dust after watching the gameplay video and seeing the subject matter - I'm a huge fan of the post-apocalyptic and / or dystopian genres.

My usual gaming buddy and I sat down for a play through and were initially met with the atrocious "rule book." Why the quotes? The rules are one double sided 8.5x11 piece of paper - not necessarily a bad thing, except when they fail to adequately explain the rules of the game. We were repeatedly confronted with card actions which weren't expounded upon anywhere, forcing us to make table side rulings. Even the setup was unnecessarily difficult - where do resource and Intel cards come from? (they're mixed in with the item deck, but you'd never know because the rules don't say anything about them).
The rules refer you to a 7 minute YouTube video for setup and gameplay instructions - the same video that was posted with the kickstarter campaign.

The more glaring problem with this game is a lack of interesting decisions. Each player has three units per turn which can take one of two actions - "scout" or attack. Scouting lets you roll two dice and, based on the results, draw a card from one of several decks - missions, items, resources, and Intel. Intel and resources are all. Exactly. The. Same. Resources prevent two damage to one of your units, while Intel forces the other player to reroll their dice. Missions give VPs if completed based on die rolls, and items modify attack rolls.

We found each other merely attacking with our more powerful units and scouting with the lesser ones. Rinse and repeat. There's no hand management involved and no real strategy. I can't see myself ever playing this again, even if the rules are clarified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Brownridge
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And yet, when I played with 4 players with my at-work gaming group they loved the game so much they plan to buy their own copies.

If you are looking for deep strategic play, I agree, this isn't the game for you.

However, for a light card and dice game with some thematic elements and interesting art style, this is a good game.

I guess it's all perception and expectation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schaer
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
GREETINGS, PROFESSOR FALKEN. SHALL WE PLAY A GAME?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kbrownridge wrote:
And yet, when I played with 4 players with my at-work gaming group they loved the game so much they plan to buy their own copies.

If you are looking for deep strategic play, I agree, this isn't the game for you.

However, for a light card and dice game with some thematic elements and interesting art style, this is a good game.

We did comment that perhaps it's a better game when played with more than two... But I think the rules left such a bad taste that this will never make it back to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Brownridge
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's too bad.

I do agree the rules are the weakest part of the game. But then, when have you ever seen good rules for any game?

Very rare indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope the author will update the rules if they are bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Lankert
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I do plan on releasing a revised digital copy of the rules out to all of my backers. And I completely understand the frustration with them as they currently stand. I also am compiling a FAQ to post on BGG.

Thank you for the review, Jonathan. Every point of view makes me a better designer.
I would love to hear your impressions after playing a larger game. Though the game can accommodate 2 players, it really is best with 4-5. Table politics, negotiation and such. Things that you just won't find in a 1v1.

-Patrick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
After receiving the game today (Germany), I think the rules make much more sense alongside the great tutorial video, without them they are a bit hard to grasp.

js619 wrote:
kbrownridge wrote:

We did comment that perhaps it's a better game when played with more than two... But I think the rules left such a bad taste that this will never make it back to the table.

Try watching the video.
I do not disregard your criticism of the game (haven't played, can't say and dislike the "positive-only"-social-police here on BGG).
After getting the game and reading them I have to say, hard to get! After watching the video again: https://boardgamegeek.com/video/50797/sovereignty-dust/sover... ... the rules where pretty clear.
Last but not least IF the game is good with 4 and 5 and bad with 2... maybe it should say 3-5 on the box .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Lankert
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I don't think it is -bad- with two players, I just think it is a different experience.
A two player game is a fast-paced slugfest that is over in 5-10 minutes. A lot of the subtleties are thrown out the window.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played it with 2 players today I have to say:
- 2 players is good for introducing the game
... but beyond that... hm.

We could see how interaction with more players makes the game tense, it is probably a much better title with 3-5. 2 player wasn't any good, more an activity, but yes we saw the potential of a light game that can be taught very fast with stunning artwork and potentially great 3+ player interaction (if I damage that unit... but I gotta try it is so much VP,... so he collected already XY, and it is only 2 turns, and I am going to draw and the 3rd dude already had his high hitters... etc).

Looking forward to any 3-5 player setup. Won't repeat playing with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Played with 4.
Much better, nice game.
Sleeved it .

Good 3-5 player game!

Edit: Final Verdict: Play with 3-5, watch the video ahead!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
PatrickMLan wrote:
I do plan on releasing a revised digital copy of the rules out to all of my backers. And I completely understand the frustration with them as they currently stand. I also am compiling a FAQ to post on BGG.

WHEN?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.