6 Posts

Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia» Forums » Variants

Subject: Euphoria variant for kids rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thaddeus Ryan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to play this with my kids but it's above their attention-span. They get Carcassone, they love Dragon's Hoard, my 5-year-old likes to teach Forbidden Island (even if her friends aren't interested in learning it). They beg for Castle Panic, but when I say no (because we've played it the last four nights) we play Stone Age.

So what could I do to introduce the mechanics of Euphoria to them? I like the additive aspect (you and I in the same spot together do better), the worker placement, the resource allocation. I think the markets and recruits would be too much for them, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, no.

Seriously, no.

Euphoria is towards the heavy end of games and requires capacity for parallel thinking to get the engine going. If you strip parts of the game out, why even play this game? Why not just get a simpler worker placement for playing with kids?

You want to jump from Carcassonne to Euphoria with kids and that's just...

Ugh.

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArrBeeDee Dial
United States
Lexington Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am working on overcoming my AP. Here is my 'to do' plan ...so far: 1).
mbmbmbmbmb
Are those the only choices?

Carcassone, Dragon's Hoard, Forbidden Island, Castle Panic, & Stone Age... Looking at your collection... no help.

Possibilities: Takenoko, Pandemic, Ticket to Ride...

Actually, if you can borrow Caverna - try it. Tell them to feed their families, farm, build mines, and later explain adventures (I can't get past calling them Viking Raids... anyone else?)

It will require some advanced planning. It might be too much but maybe not.

Edit: If they can learn that you will get another year and then teach them Euphoria. (and then buy the expansion with their allowance)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:

Euphoria is towards the heavy end of games

Really? I think Euphoria is relatively light game, medium-weight at most.

But I also agree that there probably isn't a viable way to make it light enough to be 5-year-old-friendly.
I can think of a few ways to simplify the game, such as taking away recruits' special abilities, but in a game this tight, they might break it.

I agree that you should just buy a different, even lighter game. Forbidden Desert is a slight step up form Forbidden Island, maybe you could try that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Ryan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the recommendation for Caverna. They actually already play Forbidden Desert but they like Forbidden Island more (they win it more often - we've never actually survived Forbidden Desert).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asking for Trobils. I actually added this after typing the rest but I'll leave it there. Asking for trobils is a worker placement with a bump mechanic like Euphoria. Much lighter game and a great time. It should be coming out any day now. It was a kickstarter from last summer that I made a PnP copy of. Can't wait to get mine. More engaging theme (alien hunting in space ships) too.

I'm trying to come up with a more positive reaction than some of the others. I have played multiple times with my children, both of them having severe adhd. However my youngest at time of playing was 7 and has played many games. You will have to make a judgement as to what they can handle since if you give them games that are too difficult, long or uninteresting to them you could discourage them from playing other games.

Euphoria can be adjusted easily for length and complexity for kids with the following things.

1. Extra resources. Give them a head start.
2. Fewer Influence tokens. Euphoria isn't a long game to start but dropping the influence tokens (stars) to 7 would speed the game up. I find length of game is a big influence on the enjoyment of younger kids.
3. Extra worker at the beginning of the game. Hey they'll probably loose it anyways but they will have to do more counting.

All in all I find euro's are great for kids because nobody get's kicked out of the game and there is minimal hidden information so you can give lots of advice. Good luck it's a great game.

I found caverna to be fine with kids for 2 player but it's a little heavy in the thinking. Rules are simple but the play is tough. 3 players increases the play time too much for kids in my opinion. Just describe the game as Minecraft the board game and you'll have them (mine) hooked. Euphoria went over better with them.

losh14 wrote:
I would like to play this with my kids but it's above their attention-span. They get Carcassone, they love Dragon's Hoard, my 5-year-old likes to teach Forbidden Island (even if her friends aren't interested in learning it). They beg for Castle Panic, but when I say no (because we've played it the last four nights) we play Stone Age.

So what could I do to introduce the mechanics of Euphoria to them? I like the additive aspect (you and I in the same spot together do better), the worker placement, the resource allocation. I think the markets and recruits would be too much for them, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.