1 , 2  Next »   | 

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Convince me to buy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared M
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been on the fence about this game for awhile. Lord of the Rings is my favorite book, and I play a lot of the LCG.

Concerned this won't get enough play since it's such a long game. Convince me to buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
If the only concern you have is the length, then the question is who you are planning to play it with, how long your gaming sessions will be, and whether there will be an option to leave it out between sessions.

We can go on about how fantastic it is all you like - I'm happy to do so.

But if you really think it won't get played then that's an outright deal breaker. There are some options to shorten the game but it's still a good 3 hours or more for most players, I think.

If you are particularly fast players (or set a soft timer to make sure people don't think for too long if you are 'thinkers') you can probably get the time down to 2h or so once you know the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ender82 wrote:
Concerned this won't get enough play since it's such a long game. Convince me to buy it.

If you're worried about lack of play, I'll let you know there is a java client and many people who play online. Once you get the rules down you should be able to play a game online in under 2 hours. I think my average game length is around 1.5 hours.

I see you really like Twilight Struggle. I've never played it, but I know it shares a lot of similarities to WotR (~3 hours, 2 player, asymmetric). If you love TS and you love LotR, I can pretty much guarantee you will love WotR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kergen ramirez
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game, one of the best thematic experiences to be had. But I would suggest The Battle of Five Armies as a superior shorter experience in my honest opinion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game depends so much on your gaming group or partner. I love it as 2 player, but I actually prefer it as 4 player 2vs2. But I don't play it with the default game rules. Both players have their own sets of cards and take turns one after another, but can control everything on the board (none of that split faction stuff).

Anyways, it depends on your group. If you fear your group or partner might not like it, then they likely won't. This is the heaviest game in my collection and it shows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
ender82 wrote:
I've been on the fence about this game for awhile. Lord of the Rings is my favorite book, and I play a lot of the LCG.

Convince me your game table is worthy of it. This is War of the Ring, Bob.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn von Knorring
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
The picture is a swedish cartoon-figure Herman Hedning. English info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Hedning
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote in another thread;
"War of the ring is a master-piece and, IMHO, a must-buy for any Tolkien-gamer."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix, Rome, N.Y., 1777
mbmbmbmbmb
BUY THE GAME
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Marvosh
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ender82 wrote:

Ok. Buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Kester
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhand wrote:
BUY THE GAME
SOLD!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hockin
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
If your big issue is its length, then no. Don't buy it. Nothing we can say that will make it shorter. It is a really long game.

That said, you totally should buy it because it is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like LOTR, then you'll love this one
yes, it's a longer game, but it is soo awesome to play
my son and I have only played a few times, but each time is such an experience all its own
Like watching the movie for the first time!
(or reading the book)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn von Knorring
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
The picture is a swedish cartoon-figure Herman Hedning. English info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Hedning
mbmbmbmbmb
scout13 wrote:
Like watching the movie for the first time!
(or reading the book)

I always feel like every game would make an awesome book-trilogy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you made time for the books, you will find a way to make time for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
You must be trolling us, but I'll play along anyway.

If you play it only once in your entire life, it will be worth the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game lastet just 8 hours all in all. It was a blast. Buy it !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is one of the best games I've ever played. The theme, the mechanics, the components, the layers of strategy.... It has it all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Wauthoz
Belgium
Ath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Lord of the Rings is your favorite book, you owe to yourself to own and play this game, no matter the length.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And ultimately, if it disappoints, you can do what I did, sell it off (got pretty much full return of purchase price for it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yep. It's time consuming. We play it once a year. But I wouldn't miss it for the world. With the possible exception of LARP, it's the best way to immerse yourself in Middle-earth. It has something that LARP and the movies lack: unbelievable tension and crushing desperation. The best games leave you totally exhausted.

By the way: I had to ask:

Jared M
msg tools
mbmbmb

THE Bob Ross?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Horne
United States
Whitehall
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mr. Axle can do all for you.
badge
Apologize again!
mbmbmbmbmb
Your first game will take 4+ hours. That time will shorten each time you play, until it flattens out at about 1.5 hours. Individual games can go longer or shorter, depending on how fast Frodo runs.

The biggest mitigation to game length is that WotR only needs two players. Surely you have at least one nerd in your life willing to spend 4 hours of it with you?

War of the Ring is a masterpiece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AxleKerrigan wrote:
That time will shorten each time you play, until it flattens out at about 1.5 hours.

I really hope this will never happen to us. I prefer much longer fun with a single WotR event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ender82 wrote:

I have played so many games and own many and this is still my favorite after playing it a dozen times. The balance and theme is nearly perfectly done and I have had a blast even when I lose which is not always the case :S

If you love LOTR, there is no way you will be disappointed unless you have so much ADD you can't sit at a table for more than an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared M
msg tools
mbmbmb
Just saw all these replies. Wow! You guys love this game.

One last question and it's settled. Is there a good solitaire variant?

I have two friends with the attention span for this game, but it would be nice to have a solitaire option available. That's one of the things I enjoy about the LCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared M
msg tools
mbmbmb
Jan Tuijp wrote:

By the way: I had to ask:

Jared M
msg tools
mbmbmb

THE Bob Ross?

You never know.... #happytrees
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.