BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Need Expansion Advice! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got $20 free credit to spend on Amazon, and I keep going back and forth on what expansion or smaller game I'll get the most enjoyment and/or mileage out of. Thought I might ask the geek's wealth of experience what seemed best. I'm willing to spend an extra ten dollars or so to get something a bit more expensive if it gets me that much more enjoyment.

Here are my options and their current prices:

Pandemic: In the Lab, $30.59
Nothing Personal: Young Turks, $15
Ticket to Ride Europa 1912, $14.71
Monikers, $25
Forbidden Desert, $17.49
Suburbia Inc., $22.01
Lords of Waterdeep: Scoundrels of Skullport, $31
Medina, $46
One of the three Survive: Escape from Atlantis expansions, about $10
(as an aside, it sucks that they didn't include at least the dive dice in the base game).

I'd also take recommends out of the blue or based on my BGG collection or the paragraph below. Anyone have an opinion of Hive: Carbon?

A little about my preferences:
My most frequent gaming happens with my girlfriend (2 player) about two nights a week, but I also like to have games on hand for 5+ gamers during the weekend. I tend to like cooperative games, while she likes beating me. Rules-heavy games tend to not get played. Kemet, Robinson Crusoe, and Eldritch Horror really have to be pushed by me in order to get my typically non-gamer friends invested or interested. But maybe that is just my perception because I'm very self-conscious about everyone having a good time. The last four things to the table were Pandemic (twice), Ticket to Ride Europe, and Nothing Personal. I will be putting together an order from coolstuff in the next couple months, if that matters to anyone as far as getting better pricing.
Questions? Thanks in advance for any help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Held
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This shark, swallow you whole.
badge
I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish.
mbmbmbmbmb
As owner of Forbidden Desert and Pandemic, I'll speak on behalf of those two games only.

I enjoy Forbidden Desert, but the play mechanics are very similar to Pandemic. Also, if you're likely to be only playing with your wife, you may not find it as enjoyable, as I found the optimum gaming experience to be with 3-4 people. It's relatively simple but enjoyable.

If I were you,and I'm not, I'd opt instead for the In the Lab expansion for Pandemic. It adds a layer of depth/strategy to the game that, in my opinion, increases the replay value. It introduces a new game mechanic of curing diseases that you have to take into account when making decisions, which adds complexity to the game itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moray Grant
United Kingdom
Dyce
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can personally recommend Skullport and Suburbia Inc.

Skullport adds some more meat to the bones of Waterdeep and is effectively two expansions in one. Undermountain is about bigger is better while Skullport is about advantage now and pay later with the corruption mechanic. I would say do not include both expansions at once above four players as the game will go long. The expansions though are great and if you enjoy Waterdeep and finding it growing a little stale this box really re-invigorates the game.

Suburbia Incs big thing are the borders which are fun in them selves and increases the spatial puzzle element of Suburbia and offers a new option for purchase. What I think is better though are the new city tiles. These open up new strategies including a green heavy income method.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LoW expansion will likely be the expansion to give the biggest boost to the base game. Teaching it boils down to showing what the new lords are and the corruption mechanic. Everything else is rather straight forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd tots get a new game over an expansion.

You play mostly with your girl and you both enjoy coops. I noticed that you're missing one of my favorite coops, which happens to be very challenging but light on rules. Also the art work is so good, it will enchant your non gamers to beg to play it. Ghost Stories Its actually only $33 right now on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Asmodee-5511826-Ghost-Stories/dp/B001J...

But if you need an expansion, my vote based on limited experience would be for Suburbia Inc because it adds a lot to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, I've settled on Suburbia Inc., because the amazon price so closely matches the CSI price and therefore I'm not missing much "deal value." The rest of your suggestions will likely make it into my upcoming CSI free shipping order.

If anyone else wants to chime in, I'm still considering more games for that order!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon has good prices on Cash$Guns and Wits and Wagers, both of which are great with 5+.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.