Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tom alphin
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While excitement over election results has occupied most of my day, I also wanted to see if anyone had dug-up details on the games quarterly 12 tile carcassonne add-on. I remember reading that Noveber 8th (today) was the release date.

cheers,
---tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Olympics time!!!
mbmbmb
I called my FLGS in Aurora and they do not have it yet and can't find anything about it online either yet. (except pre-order on Funagain)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Tinkham
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got an email on Saturday (sent to people registered at the National Games Week site, perhaps? It was sent to the address I used there, at least) that stated the issue had shipped. My subscription copy hasn't arrived yet -- maybe tomorrow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cherry
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
Obligitory Smart-Ass Comment Here
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
All the Games Quarterly sites says is that it is:

"...twelve brand new tiles for the basic game. Brand new, never before seen configurations..."

Sounds to me like since they are for the basic game, they are just 12 new city/field/road configurations. I hope I am wrong though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this from The Source in St. Paul, MN today. Indeed, this is an expansion for the BASE GAME.

6 of the tiles are identical to tiles from the other expansions minus the resources, dragons, tower bases, or shields.

2 of them are mirror images of tiles from the expansions, minus the special icons. In fact, the mirror images don't change the "edge configurations", just how the road and city works out inside the tile.

1 of them is a field space with no other features.

1 of them is a cloister with 4 roads coming off.

1 is a river piece identical to one from the original river expansion.

1 is a new start tile for the river with a road section.

If you have the other expansions, this will just make the game longer without adding anything. If you don't have the other expansions, this probably fills out those configurations that can lock up certain spaces.

I don't think I'll add the tiles to my game, which has all of the other expansions already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom alphin
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thats a bit anti-climatic. I was excited to think that the new tiles *might* just introduce a new rule or two?

do these new tiles have a small grey icon on them to indicate that they aren't part of the basic game? They began doing this as part of the "big box" that just came out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm comparing them right now, and as far as I can tell, once they are mixed in - I would have no idea how to separate them again. No icons that I'm noticing on either side. They color match very well also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom alphin
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did they have a name for this batch of new tiles that we can call an "add-on" pack or is it really just described as "12 tiles for the basic game". Since there are no new tiles I assume it adds no new rules either.

Just seems a little weird that they didn't do something a little more... interesting? I may try to track it down, but we'll see. The weird tiles hardly improve on the game for me... I like the basic game, it's fairly predictable and you can sometimes box your opponent in knowing that the piece they need desn't exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlike the issue with the Settlers expansion, I can find no reference to this expansion in the magazine, except on the cover it says "12 New Carcassonne Game Tile Inside". They apparently did not name this expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom alphin
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks Brian. I guess it's up to us as a BGG community to decide if this is really an add-on or just "some tiles".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why y'all are making such a big fuss. They practically told you exactly what it would be (i.e. "twelve new tiles for the base game with never-before-seen combinations"). The description above is pretty much what I was expecting, and I'll be pleased enough with it. With this and the recent Tanga deal (dude... how many crazy conspiracy theories were cracked up for that one before you all got hit with the reality behind the deal?), it just seems that people here aren't very well-versed in the English language or something. Nobody at Tanga ripped anyone off... everyone got their three mystery games for four dollars. Similarly, nobody at Games Quarterly deceived anyone or gave anyone any reason to hope for something more than "twelve new tiles for the base game with never-before-seen combinations." If you were hoping for a great mix of three entirely separate games from the Tanga deal or hoping for a mini-expansion along the lines of the Count or the River from this expansion, you just seem to have selective hearing or something... because both deals were pretty well-described, with no reason for the disappointment that has been voiced in response to both / either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Olympics time!!!
mbmbmb
Popebrain can you post a pic of the tiles included? (curiosity)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Out of the country right now. Hell, there were about 30 copies of the mag at The Source when I was there. Somebody else on BGG must have gotten one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Olympics time!!!
mbmbmb
thanks anyway. I am waiting for my FLGS to have them come in to pick up a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Found this pic from an eBay seller's listing:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the new river-source tile... we've always been confused whether the farm was supposed to "wrap around" the source of the river. With this new tile, they'll be no confusion whatsoever in that regard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Olympics time!!!
mbmbmb
Thanks for finding the picture. I called my FLGS and they said that they should have it by mid-week. I plan on getting because it looks fun and I have all the other expansions and not this one. Also, some of the tiles are ones that I have not even seen in unofficial expansions (I have made quite a few).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my copy in the mail today. Tile quality is excellent. On the back all the colors are the same except for the 2 river tiles. Those have the different backing to show that it's a part of the River expansion.

Other than that things look pretty basic. There is one tile that looks like you could use it for Farmers expansion though...

~V

ps. Now if only my GQ#10 would show up so I can get my Settlers expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just scanned a my 12 tiles and submitted it to the 'geek for reference for everyone

(Hopefully it'll get approved).

~V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yep, I'm getting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony D.
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Nothing like family, friends and games...and music and beer...and pizza and bean dip...and actually having time to play games...
mbmbmbmbmb
Valien wrote:
There is one tile that looks like you could use it for Farmers expansion though...

I'm guessing you're referring to the tile that's mostly green space. I saw the tile and immediately assumed that it was a "pig farm" tile, like the one from the River II expansion. I'll have to look at it again and compare the two, but I'm pretty sure that's what it's supposed to be, and probably how we will use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Olympics time!!!
mbmbmb
Good eyes spotting the pig farm. I have not gotten the tiles yet and had just seen the picture from ebay. That pig farm does change things up a bit. Also, thanks for uploading the pic. I am really looking forward to getting this now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wingard

La Mirada
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where to buy?
I've looked and called and looked some more, but can't find any retailer that sells this crazy magazine. I even googled to try to find a list of GQ retailers - supposedly including Bed Bath and Beyond, of all places. But alas, not in my area.

Are there any stores in California (either NoCal or SoCal) that carry this? This seems like a great value for $5, but double that to include shipping and I'm not so sure...

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Czech Mate
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked my local Comic book store today. They carry Games Quarterly, but
the issue they had on the stands was for this week. It includes some
tiles for Settlers. They no longer had copies of last week's mag
that had the Carc tiles. cry

mikey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbrna wrote:
I checked my local Comic book store today. They carry Games Quarterly, but
the issue they had on the stands was for this week. It includes some
tiles for Settlers. They no longer had copies of last week's mag
that had the Carc tiles. cry

Games Quarterly isn't a weekly magazine. It's...well...quarterly. The issue with the Settlers expansion came out in Aug/Sept. The next issue won't come out until Spring.

If your shop only has the Settlers issue, it's likely they just haven't gotten the new ish in yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.