Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I was sitting here brainstorming and a thought popped in my head. What exactly is the difference between Board Games and CCG's/TCG's? My conclusion was not a whole hell of a lot.

The analysis:
Board Gamers
Collecting: (hardcore board gamers) Need to buy games to put in their collections so that they have an abundance of games to play when a group gets together.

CCG/TCG players:
Collecting: Need to continue to buy cards so that they can continue to create better decks than their opponent, or trying to find that rare card worth a bazillion dollars.

Board Games:
Replayability: If you find that sweet game, and there are a lot out there the replay value is no problem your group will want to play this game often.

CCG/TCG:
Replayability: So many damn cards for deck building, which for the CCG player is a really big part of playing the game, you cannot help but have fun playing CCG's - because everyone knows while playing your opponent will play that one card you have never seen before that just kicks your butt - which is a sweet aspect of CCG's.

Board Games:
Expensive: Designer games run from $30 - $80. Which can take a toll on your pocket book as they are consistently coming out with great new games.

CCG/TCG:
Expensive: If the CCG is a good one to last the test of time (MtG), then they continually come out with new decks, starter packs for you to buy which also takes a toll on your pocket book.

The reason for this analysis as I have see posts slamming CCG's (and I by no means am a big CCG player), but what really is the differance? Not much as far as I can see if this is your hobby and your money, you buy what you like. Both ends of the spectrum are always coming out with new versions of a game or new games, which all lead to one thing making its followers broke!!! maybe it should be cry

Is this why we are here because we are GEEKS. So settle down with the down grading of one gamer for his likes of one genre of game (hate the game not the player where did I here that before). Obviously we all have a love for this hobby, which consists of components that we can touch and not veg out in front of a TV pushing buttons to make some Thug kill people (although that is fun on occasion too), wait let me get back to my point, we are all under the same umbrella - Can't we all just get along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Anderson
United States
Gloucester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One point where they differ:

Board Game: only one person needs to buy a copy for several people to enjoy playing. While most geeks find it necessary to buy a copy for themselves, even when their friends have one; it is still true that to have a complete game experience, only one copy is required.

CCG's: Each player needs to buy some cards. Deckbuilding/Collecting is a part of every CCG/TCG. It is something that can be worked around through drafting and preconstructed decks, but this leaves out one aspect of CCG's that board games do not offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Spatulaguy wrote:
One point where they differ:

Board Game: only one person needs to buy a copy for several people to enjoy playing. While most geeks find it necessary to buy a copy for themselves, even when their friends have one; it is still true that to have a complete game experience, only one copy is required.

CCG's: Each player needs to buy some cards. Deckbuilding/Collecting is a part of every CCG/TCG. It is something that can be worked around through drafting and preconstructed decks, but this leaves out one aspect of CCG's that board games do not offer.

I agree, but lets say a starter deck costs $10 and the typical Board game costs $50. The CCG player COULD by 5 starters thus can now play with 5 people sent the same $50 and still can take his cards home at the end of the day for Deck Building/Collecting.

See another similarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CCGs - Intentionally use a card distribution scheme which makes you buy far more "packs" than necessary to get a full set of cards. Such that you buy 2,000 cards to get the 500 you care about. Creates intentionally unbalanced rare, uncommon, common system that requires you to have access to full selection of cards to be truly competitive, so that you can not just purchase the equivalent price of a board game and play competitively.

Board Game - Does the equivalent of just giving you the damn 500 cards in the box you buy. Both sides are intentionally placed on even ground in terms of play balance. One player does not have the ability to go out and buy another box of the board game to get a competitive advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember the average boardgamer isn't necessarly on BGG. Most Boardgamers I know don't make themselves broke with boardgames, although the most visible people on BGG often do.

Most CCGers I know spend much more money, and most of them on aren't on BGG either.

So I wouldn't put them on even ground as far as the money thing goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.