Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first three games of this today. Awesome game. I didn't think I liked Euros or beat your own score games, but since acquiring At the Gates of Loyang and Fields of Arle it has become clear that I actually really enjoy them.

Set up for my first game:

Second edition came with player minis instead of generic pawns, a pleasant surprise for me:

The first game was almost endless fog, so I ended up pushing my surveyor all the way up the mountain:

Final scoring:

Scores:

Game 1 - 95

Game 2 - 142

Game 3 - 125

After the first game I realized how important it is to make sure you keep the cube bag full enough to limit events.

thumbsup Lots of replayability with randomized weather, board setup, contract cards and trains. Plus an expansion in the box and more to buy.
thumbsup Fun game with interesting randomization between weather and contracts.
thumbsup Lots of elegant mechanisms: multiple use cards, AI player present even in multiplayer
thumbsdownthumbsup Beat your high score, no victory conditions, YMMV
thumbsdown Cards are a bit too tall for the deck boxes I use for most of my other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played Fields of Arle but Loyang and Snowdonia in particular are Amazing games.
The replayability of Snowdonia is Staggering.

Bummer about those tuck boxes, bastard when that happens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the Snowdonia Week: A Collective Solo Experiment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:

Thanks! Great idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game! When I reported my first session Tony Boydell replied "Manage...the...bag!"

I've played solo quite a few times now. On Thursday, after we'd finished a play of Lewis & Clark members of my semi-regular gaming meetup saw it in my bag, so I'll get to try teaching it on Wednesday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.