Vampire: Prince of the City» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is it worth to be a Regent (first player)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pavel Antokolsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Hi all!
Wile playing the game, one question did bother me all the time. Is it really worth to became a regent during the game to be "the first" plater next turn? The reason, that in several occasions I would really want to be as last as possible. For example during movement phase, often you really don't want to move first, because you wont be able to choose whom to attack, or go away from potential threat. What do you think of it? What are the benefits/disadvantage of such system?

Personally, I was thinking of small alternation to rules, allowing the Regent to choose the first player in round, then continuing as normal. How do you think this will affect game balance?

Thanks,
Zigmar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The purpose of the person in the lead being Regent I feel is to handicap the person for the next round, preventing a runaway leader that ruins the game for everyone (except the one-n-only Regent).

Hence, the game becomes a need to bide your time out of first place for the majority of the game, then do the coup for the Prince on the final round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Yeo
Singapore
flag msg tools
the few games i've played, the guy who ends up as regent in the first few rounds of the game seldom finishes the game as the Prince of the City. in fact, the guy who starts first almost never won.

perhaps you are right that the way the mechanics works is for balance the honour out to avoid runaway leaders. but i feel given the low number of rounds (ie. less time and options to exercise) the possible potential of the using the strategies that working a regent into the game provides is severely narrowed. but that's just my point of view, i'm sure many groups have found a sweet spot working the regent around and getting maximum pleasure from the game.

i guess the final answer to the thread's question is : it totally depends on the way your geek group plays given their individual personalities and play styles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Placek
Poland
Kraków
Małopolska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zigmar wrote:
Hi all!
Wile playing the game, one question did bother me all the time. Is it really worth to became a regent during the game to be "the first" plater next turn? The reason, that in several occasions I would really want to be as last as possible. For example during movement phase, often you really don't want to move first, because you wont be able to choose whom to attack, or go away from potential threat. What do you think of it? What are the benefits/disadvantage of such system?

Personally, I was thinking of small alternation to rules, allowing the Regent to choose the first player in round, then continuing as normal. How do you think this will affect game balance?

Thanks,
Zigmar

Well it's best to be just 1 or 3 points behind the regent. Just yesterday my friend became a regent in turn two and he spent nearly whole of the game in elysium. He played well and did manage to win the game! I think that your alteration to the rules would not do well. Regency is the balancing system of the game. It let's you do the events before any one else (getting lots of city prestige) but it sets you up in a position to be robbed, skullraped and killed. I think that's pretty fair

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.