Popular Tags: [View All]
John David Galt
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would follow the same principles as in Chess: If you have more material (more and better pieces) than your opponent, then you want to fight even at slightly less than even odds (that is, even if you expect to lose slightly more in material than he will lose).

Conversely, if you are behind on material, you want to avoid fights unless you can be sure he will lose a lot more material than you.

In other words, after that bad start, run away and try to recruit while avoiding fights until you catch up in total strength. (While if it's the other guy who had the bad start, rush in and fight him before he can recover!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's basically 4 ways to win a 2-player Titan game if you're behind:

- find the enemy titan and kill it
- focus on one or two of your legions and get lucky so they get very strong
- split aggressively and regain some board control
- win some battles where you might not be favored and score points

Often, you can only pursue one of these; which one is better depends on the position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the second and third of David's options, all else being equal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just thought of this, so it has not been tried, but I think it will work pretty good for everyone.

Free-floating re-rolls tokens:
In a two-player Titan game, both players start with two free-floating re-rolls tokens (used for movement only). When you roll a die for movement, you may give your opponent one of your re-roll tokens and roll the die again. If you roll the exact same number again, just keep rolling until a new number appears.

A player is not allowed to have more than two re-roll tokens at any one time. They must discard a token given to them if they already have two re-roll tokens.

Example of how free-floating re-rolls work:
Adam and Eve both start with two re-roll tokens. On turn two, Adam rolls a "3" for movement, but decides to give Eve one of his re-roll tokens so he can re-roll the die again. Eve has to discard the token since a player can only have two re-roll tokens at any one time. Adam now re-rolls the die. He rolls another "3". He gets to re-roll again until he gets a new number. On his next attempt, he rolls a "5", so it sticks. Had he rolled yet another "3", he gets to re-roll again.

Now Adam and Eve have three re-roll tokens between them. Adam has one and Eve has two.

On turn five, Adam rolls a "2" for movement, but decides to give Eve his last re-roll token so he can re-roll the movement die again, but Even still has two tokens, so much discard it.

Now Adam and Eve have two re-roll tokens between them. Adam has none while Even still has two.

On turn eight, Eve rolls a "4" for movement, but decides to give Adam one of her re-roll tokens so she can re-roll the movement die again.

Adam and Eve still have two re-roll tokens between them. Adam has one and Eve has one.

On turn ten, Adam rolls a "1" for movement, but decides to give Eve his only re-roll token so he can re-roll the movement die again.

Now Eve once again has two re-roll token while Adam has none.

As it turned out, for the rest of the game Eve did not need to use any of her re-roll tokens. This means Adam was not able to re-roll the movement die for the rest of the game because he had no re-roll tokens to use.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
And if things are truly hopeless, you can always pull your pieces and do something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
RayGuns wrote:
I just thought of this, so it has not been tried, but I think it will work pretty good for everyone.

Free-floating re-rolls tokens:

All you are doing is replacing one type of luck with diplomacy. Convincing other players to give you the tokens becomes critical. Two players could make a deal to pass each other their tokens. Its horrible. Lets keep Titan diplomacy free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This rule variant was only suggested for two-player Titan, so there's no diplomacy issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The adding-subtracting idea works best when rolls get incrementally better or worse when numbers are added or subtracted. Movement rolls in Titan don't work that way. I would just use straight re-roll tokens, if I had to use tokens (I'm not a fan of the whole idea in the first place).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe just give one reroll token to the second player, in a 2-player game, and make it expire after 5 turns or so rather than letting them hang onto it forever. Or a token that lets them roll 2 and pick 1. The second player is definitely at a disadvantage, this would help balance that while reducing the frequency of an especially bad start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.