Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Wilson
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, I have a great admiration for the Tower of Babel game by Reiner Knizia. There are a lot of clever mechanics going on, so I recently ordered this and have played it twice this week since getting it in. However, on Saturday, I had my usual Saturday gameday at my house. Everyone seemed very receptive to this game, so Ramone, Shane, Kevin and I decided it deserved a go.

Everyone seemed to have their own strategy they were going for. Early on, I noticed that Kevin was really lagging behind in points. What I didn't notice is that he was focused on collecting the building tokens, so through-out the whole game, Kevin sat way back in points. Ramone was pretty well balanced, getting in lots of places and a decent assortment of tokens. Shane however was another story.

It seems that through-out the game, we never did what Shane wanted us to do with his offers. Whenever he wanted just a house in the mix, it didn't get accepted. Whenever he wanted to use his bonus card (the one for turning down an offer) towards the end of the game, we accepted his offers. It seems no matter what his plans were, they were foiled. However, next came final scoring.

Kevin finished in last place, but made a huge amount of points off his two sets of tokens, one for 20 and one for 10. It still wasn't enough as he didn't get in enough Wonders and didn't have enough points from turned down offers. I finished third, thanks to only gaining two (different) tokens and two turns wasted trying to complete Wonders and not getting enough offers. Shane finished second, even though we never did what he wanted, so this was kind of amazing. Ramone, however, came up with some bonus points for tiles from a bonus card that give him a 3 point win.

Shane called this game weird, and it kind of is. My wife doesn't care for this game either because sometimes you really can't control much in the game and you may just not have decent cards for what everyone else is doing. However, I'm big into the mechanics and the idea behind this game. To me, it's a very fun game. Not deeply strategic, but fun. I think it's a right mix of randomness and strategy. You can definitely play the right cards at the right time in this game (granted you have them) and things can fall into place. However, that being said, there is a case that in some games, no matter what you do, you'll be foiled. I think this is a very solid game that fits a niche other games don't. For that, I'll keep on playing until people start to hate it. Hopefully that won't happen anytime soon.

Mark Wilson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.