Paul Blake
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've recently obtained a copy of Up Front, and after many an evening attempting to muddle through the rules, I've reached a "eureka!" moment.

Relative range is given as an abstract concept which causes all dependent factors to be somewhat confusing. I've come up with what I think is a functionally identical method of showing RR which also makes a lot of other concepts in the game more intuitive:

Picture the groups on a 7xN group, where N is the number of groups, like so:

[A1][B1][C1][D1]
[XX][XX][XX][XX]
[XX][XX][XX][XX]
[XX][XX][XX][XX]
[XX][XX][XX][XX]
[XX][XX][XX][XX]
[A2][B2][C2][D2]

Point-blank (directly adjacent) is RR 5. Subtract 1 for each empty space between the two groups. Diagonal counts as adjacent. Only count the distance between the groups' rows, not their columns. Subtract 1 for non-adjacent columns, regardless of distance.

Now things like flanking become much clearer, as it becomes far more obvious when a group is surrounded, or has multiple groups which can fire upon it. Natural flanking becomes obvious.

As for implementation, I'm printing this board out in the form of 1x7 space strips. Thoughts are welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Blake
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I was initially confused regarding this, but after thinking about it, I think I've got it worked out. The way I had it:

[A1][B1]
[A2][XX]
[XX][XX]

B1 is currently at RR5 to A2. B1 advances - and is still at RR5. B1 advances again and is still at RR5. You are correct, it should be a 6-space strip per group, not 7, and diagonal should not be RR5. Same-row-and-same-or-adjacent-column should be RR5. This might confuse some people though, because same-row adjacency is RR5, whereas same-column adjacency is RR4.

I feel such a fool for not noticing that someone had already posted not only messages, but also helping files regarding this.

So... When can we see MMP's Up Front UpDate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.