United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this was cool. Sunglasses that allow people who are colorblind to see colors properly for the first time. This is part of an ad campaign for a paint company but the glasses are real and available from a company called EnChroma.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand, do the glasses add cones into their eyes somehow?

I'm sensing a scam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
The lenses filter certain colours, reducing confusion. There is little doubt that they help for some of the common red/green colourblind conditions (there are more than one). But there are unanswered questions.

Chiefly - do the lenses assist with colour recognition and matching, or do they amplify our ability to distinguish colours without being able to assign them?
(Explanation: I generally can't tell brown from red. These lenses would apparently allow me to tell them apart - but would they also allow me to know which one is red and which one is brown?)

Also - they are very expensive and the company is silent about the glasses effectiveness under artificial light. Fluorescent lamps usually tend to be green/blue, and all the testimonials discuss daylight.

Most importantly however, no one imports them to Australia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I bought a pair of these a while back. They were offering a money-back guarantee, and I figured if they did work, they'd be a life-changing experience, and if they didn't, I would just ship them back and just be out the cost of shipping.

They did make greens brighter, to the point where I could actually see the green in traffic lights (they usually just look white), but not so much that I was having the existential moments like other people reported. I didn't get a chance to view a rainbow while I had them, though.

The glasses do work, surprisingly enough. But given that colorblindness is different among colorblind people, how well they work depends on the kind of colorblindness people have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Get back to us when you make glasses that reveal octarine.

Heck, I'd be happy with nectarine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Heck, I'd be happy with nectarine

Well orange you glad you discovered these glasses, then?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
When they let me see that some people are actually aliens, bring me some bubblegum and wait for me to run out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wondering this since meeting some people that are colorblind... what's it like? There are a bunch of links on this page that demonstrate the effect. Very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Forget octarine, how 'bout these!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to make a thread for this for all those color-blind gamers.

But I don't know if they would notice it:
http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/watch-colorbli...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
I don't understand, do the glasses add cones into their eyes somehow?

I'm sensing a scam.
Seem like they don't need to add cones because they are already there.

It's just that they pick up a bit too much of the spectrum possibly or something so things kinda look the same when they aren't.

The glasses seem to filter out the frequencies of light which is in-between colors and let the more distinct ones carry through instead separating the colors better so they don't melt together as much.

.. or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://enchroma.com/test/instructions/

I guess the brain may be capable to interpret the colors (could it maybe be even more intense for them because they are not usually noticing the difference that much?)

Obvious disadvantage being it of course do block out light and hence make everything darker.

As for being expensive. Meh? Seem to about equal to a normal retail pair of glass lenses here in Sweden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.