Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
I can still beat the Nemesis Beast!
badge
Solo Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy Star Realms as a Solo game, which is why I try to encourage others to play by creating the Challenges.

For a while I have been working on a new Solo Enemy:

REPLICATORS Updated 27 Mar

Thank you for all the feedback.
I have made a few more changes and added in some great suggestions to hopefully increase the difficulty. I am worried it may be a little too random but all feedback is appreciated.

I wanted something a little different to what was already available but not something that would require a lot of new rules.
As much as I would like to say that this is the final result ... there have been a few difficulties.
I have been trying out different rules and changing Authority totals, defense values and faction abilities.
Like any project there comes a time where you are just too close to it and not making good decisions anymore.

This is pretty close to what I have been working toward, however I would really like to get other players' opinions on the play ability of the Card.
In particular: Is it too easy/hard? Should the Authority of the Replicator mothership or Player be changed?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

As this may not be the final version, I suggest keeping it electronic, so do not print out the file.
You can use any type of counter or token to test it out. I decided to limit the Replicator tokens to 10 although you probably won't survive a battle with 6 or more. devil
Replicators.pdf

I hope I haven't made any typos or other errors. blush

EDIT: Updated Link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Taylor
Scotland
Kintore
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shaun,

This looks great and I'll definitely try it once I find some time to pull Star Realms out again. I'm probably missing the blindingly obvious, but I can't see in the instructions where you create a replicator token. Is this when they destroy a base or do they get one every turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Solo Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Trade Federation effect on the front of the card adds a Replicator Token. It is with the "Replicator gains 4 Authority" (which is why it is a little bit hard to find).

Also ... it is really easy to overlook things when play testing ... so if anyone comes up with a strategy to easily defeat the Replicators, please let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
North Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
Solo Gamers are NOT lonely!
badge
Together We Game Alone (1 Player Guild)
mbmbmbmbmb
I could be wrong, but I feel the "Yellow" and "Red" powers (sorry, can't recall the actual names at the moment) should be flipped. Red is more about attack while Yellow does a lot of opponent deck manipulation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Solo Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
shacky22 wrote:
I could be wrong, but I feel the "Yellow" and "Red" powers (sorry, can't recall the actual names at the moment) should be flipped. Red is more about attack while Yellow does a lot of opponent deck manipulation.
These two factions (Star Empire [Y] & Machine Cult [R]) feature Card manipulation, so it is a bit hard to know where that power should go.
I decided to go with Red as it concentrates on discards and defense, which seems to suit this action better.
I felt Yellow was discards and attack, however I am open to suggestions ...

What do other people think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavel Strybuk
Belarus
Gomel
Gomel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shacky22 wrote:
I feel the "Yellow" and "Red" powers (sorry, can't recall the actual names at the moment) should be flipped.
Vote for this suggestion. It looks logical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago Eximeno
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this new solo enemy! I'll try it soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My Back Still Aches
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles...
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be reading it wrong but it seems that the replicators don't attack you if the card drawn is red or blue.

Is that correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Solo Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
garyrbrooks wrote:
I may be reading it wrong but it seems that the replicators don't attack you if the card drawn is red or blue.
You are correct.
This does make it a bit random but it was very difficult if you make them attack at a faster rate.
Let me know how it goes?
There are other options I could try but this combination seemed a lot different to the other two Solo cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My Back Still Aches
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles...
mbmbmbmbmb
ShaunGamer wrote:
garyrbrooks wrote:
You are correct.
This does make it a bit random but it was very difficult if you make them attack at a faster rate.
Let me know how it goes?
There are other options I could try but this combination seemed a lot different to the other two Solo cards.

Also, can you attack the mothership if there are tokens in play or do they act like outposts? i.e you have to attack the tokens first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
garyrbrooks wrote:

Also, can you attack the mothership if there are tokens in play or do they act like outposts? i.e you have to attack the tokens first.

If you can't attack the mothership with Replicators in Play, Shaun, I suggest adding "Outpost" to the counters and a "5" on them might be good too.

For the Trade Federation text I suggest adding "and" between the two effects. And switching to "Replicators gain "5" and add a Replicator token"
Just sounds better and you get the familiar effect first and then the special.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My Back Still Aches
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles...
mbmbmbmbmb
3 games. 3 wins.

Final stats:

11 turns. My authority: 25. Replicator: -17. 3 replicator tokens (never more than 1 in play though).

11 turns. My authority: 38. Replicator: 0. No replicator tokens.

11 turns. My authority: 30. Replicator: 0. No replicator tokens.

Initial thoughts:

The Replicator didn't hit me enough or hard enough to make me feel threatened. In the last game I drew 5 or 6 Machine Cult cards for the Replicator so that meant 5 or 6 turns where I took no damage and no tokens came out.

In two of the games I didn't draw any replicator tokens (not a single trade fed card drawn) and in the other one I destroyed them the turn after they appeared.

I also felt the Machine Cult ability was too weak. The two cards should be random if put back on the deck. Choosing is fine if they have to be discarded.

So I would make sure the Replicator can hit more often and/or harder.

Replicator tokens need to come out more often (maybe 2 of the factions bring them in to play), possibly be a bit tougher (6 authority maybe) and maybe act like outposts.

Make the Machine cult ability tougher, especially if the Replicator doesn't attack when it is triggered.

There is definitely a good solo game here though. Something that builds on the current solo variants.

It's not as swingy as the Pirates or as unrelenting as the Beast. It felt quite balanced but just needs the difficulty upped a bit.

Thanks for spending time on this Shaun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
Pugs are like little people in fur coats.
badge
If it's not a Pug, it's just a dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
ShaunGamer wrote:
I hope I haven't made any typos or other errors. blush
Last line on the rules: "within" is one word.

Looks like a fun solo experience, thanks for sharing this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed this out(What's a little ink), and hearing my son scream: "Daddy, a spaceship came out of the thing!" was worth it.

2 games, 2 wins.
I played the Replicator tokens as Outposts.

Game 1: Around ten turns or fewer. Not sure as I didn't keep count.
Win 46 against -2. 1 Replicator in play, gone again first chance.
The Replicator didn't attack enough, and I think the highest attack in a turn for him was 8.
Blob cards was only 1 and 2, so those didn't hurt at all.
I got some Trade Fed cards to build authority and that took care of what the Replicator could do attackwise.

Game 2: A Replicator came out on the first runs and since I played it as Outpost, I could attack untill the fourth turn. Getting some bases, some good Trade Fed cards and some Yellow took care of Authority, attack and deck cycling, so I did damage, and built my authority. The Replicator brought out 4 Tokens this game, but all but the first one was dealt with swiftly and brutal.
The Replicator managed to do 16 damage on a turn, with a 8 Blob card, but overall the Replicator isn't threatening.
My Trade Fed cards and cycling cards gave me a total of 85 authority and the Replicator ended on -5.
THis game took 12 turns.

As Gary I echo the comment about not feeling threatening enough. As it stands now it's more a highscore game.

More damage, more often and a rougher effects for those turns the Repliczators doens't attack.
Game 2 the Replicztor did 5 damage to me over the first five turns.

The Replicators is a good idea, but I feel some things are needed to up the challenge a bit.
Maybe give Replicators higher starting authority. This would make for a longer game, but not sure it would make it that much more challenging, as I think after a certain number of turns, the player deck can handle almost anything the Replicator will throw at the player.

And I think you need to insert a "Destroy enemy bases" effect here somewhere. Getting 3 bases in play meant I felt very safe.

Maybe Replicator tokens in play can block bases from being played?
Maybe give the Replicator tokens different Authority and have them drawn at random? Some with 5, some with 6, some with 7 or 8?

But I want to thank you for taking the time to make this. Both this and the challenges have given me and others alot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Taylor
Scotland
Kintore
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShaunGamer wrote:
The Trade Federation effect on the front of the card adds a Replicator Token. It is with the "Replicator gains 4 Authority" (which is why it is a little bit hard to find).

Also ... it is really easy to overlook things when play testing ... so if anyone comes up with a strategy to easily defeat the Replicators, please let me know!

Yup, knew it would be blindingly obvious.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Solo Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I have uploaded new versions of the card.

@garyrbrooks
I wanted to avoid making the replicator tokens like Outposts. Otherwise you would have to destroy them to get to the mothership, so there would never be more than one or two in play. I wanted you to feel like you could ignore them and do damage to the mothership instead.

@ad79 See above
Fixed the text. Thank you! thumbsup

@Murr
Fixed the "within" Thank you! thumbsup

It seems like the difficulty is the problem, so I have changed the Red effect to Discard the cards and also added the gain Replicator effect.
This actually returns to a previous version that I found very hard ... however, maybe I just had poor card draws??
Anyhow we can try that for starters.

I would like to avoid having the Replicators Attack every turn, as then it feels a bit like the Nemesis Beast. That is also the reason why there is no destroy base effect.

I do like the suggestion of giving the Replicator Tokens different Defense values.
That is something I didn't think of and yet it is a great idea!
Perhaps:
4x 5 Defense
2x 6 Defense
2x 7 Defense
2x 8 Defense

Poll
Should the Red (Machine Cult) and Yellow (Star Empire) effects be swapped?
Yes
No
Doesn't worry me.
      24 answers
Poll created by ShaunGamer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
So far the replicators and the other solo options have fairly similar-to-multiplayer effects.

What if they did something different? Maybe the machine cult effect is "replicator cloaking device" so you can't attack that round, or "replicator infiltration" so you have a traitor in your midst and you just discard your hand and it's the replicator's turn again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb

This was my deck at the end.

Got two Blob Tade Pod's and a Blob Fighter on my first turn. Aquired another Blob Trade Pod on the second turn. These three cards gave me a lot of reqruiting power and lots of Blob cards showed up so 10 Blob cards in the end.

Played with Replicators showing up on Red, but put the two cards on top of the deck instead of discarding. Also pplayed Tokens as Outposts, but with the Blob army I had, I annihalated all 5 Replicator tokens that came out.

11 turns. Me 39, Replicator -2. 5 Replicator tokens in play.(4 red/1 blue)

I think my reqruiting power actually hurt me in the end, as I got too many cards in the deck. Had a few good cards each turn, but the 10 Scout/Vipers was still there and clogged up the deck.

Replicator got me down to 35 fairly fast tahnks to a Battlecruiser Yellow, but after that it didn't do much and the pair of Cutters brought me back up to 39 in the end.

My Blob army was unstoppable once it got rolling. The second to last turn I didn't reqruit as I didn't want more cards. Missile Bot's was the last i reqruited but they didn't got into play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My Back Still Aches
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles...
mbmbmbmbmb
davekuhns wrote:
So far the replicators and the other solo options have fairly similar-to-multiplayer effects.

What if they did something different? Maybe the machine cult effect is "replicator cloaking device" so you can't attack that round, or "replicator infiltration" so you have a traitor in your midst and you just discard your hand and it's the replicator's turn again.

Interesting stuff here. Would change things up nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Solo Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
davekuhns wrote:

This sounds more suitable to a different enemy again ... Shadows anyone?
devil

When I first started playing with the idea of the Replicators, the main mechanic was the tokens. They appeared automatically every turn but I felt that mechanic was too similar to the Nemesis Beast. Somehow I have lost the tokens uniqueness through the development process and ended up with something similar to the existing cards anyway.
soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't much you can do differently with a game that has such few mechanics. You may just have to start introducing more.

I think the replicators should be permanent ships instead of bases. Then it becomes a bit harder to eliminate them as all those destroy base effects become useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Lloyd
United Kingdom
Holmes Chapel
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this is obvious but, when you destroy a replcator, does it get returned to the pool so it could potentially be drawn again or is it removed from the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My Back Still Aches
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the consensus is to discard them until the pool runs out and then put all discarded ones back in the pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
garyrbrooks wrote:
I think the consensus is to discard them until the pool runs out and then put all discarded ones back in the pool.

This is the correct answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Android app on Google Play store for this is really good, and you don't have to print out the cards or tokens

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gmail.josi...

This is a really good solo card! Thanks for making it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |