Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't it be great to create a Cthulhu Wars application for iOS ?
Wouldn't you love playing CW in your bed, in a bus, etc... ?

That dream could become reality: as said earlier Sandy doesn't want to develop that app by himself but he is fully willing to make a deal with someone to make it happen !

So if you know someone in your network, there is an opportunity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd buy it for sure, I'd love to play Cthulhu Wars on my iPad Mini.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd definitely be interested in the app. A good developer is key though. Maybe they can work something out with Playdek who has done Agricola, Summoner Wars, Lords of Waterdeep, Ascension, or BigDaddyCreations who did Caylus, Eclipse, Neuroshima Hex, ect. I'm sure there are some other worthy developers too like the guys who made Titan HD, but certainly the wrong developer can kill a game on IOS like Cyclades which is a good board that plays best with 4-5 players and the app only supports 2 players, with no AI for single player games.

I'm sure all the developers on this list of 25 highest rated IOS board games 2014 could also do a great job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll let Sandy share his view but maybe his target is to lend his CW IP to a developer, have him build the app and share the profit generated (4.99$ for the app, 0.99$ per additional Faction and map)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kryzch
United States
La Crosse
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would love it too! Only on Android though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He already tried that and sadly it didn't fund on Kickster. The link is https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1816687860/cthulhu-worl...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Afrofrycook wrote:
He already tried that and sadly it didn't fund on Kickster. The link is https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1816687860/cthulhu-worl...

Yes, that's why he said he didn't wanted to do it anymore by himself but is willing to make a deal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kickstarting a game app is a tough thing to do, especially for a game that no one has played before. There is no built in fan base, no obvious game forum to advertise in and draw interest. I never even knew there was a kickstarter for an app until just recently and obviously way too late. So I don't know that the kickstarter's failure means anything for a Cthulhu Wars app's future success or failure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose you've all seen Southparks "Fremium isn't Free" episode, right?

Away, a lot of mobile game developers focus on how many potential paying customers they can get per unit of development work done. This is why you might see a mobile developer do a celebrity game with microtransactions vs. making a fantasy game. The cost to lure away players from other existing fantasy titles is too high from a development perspective relative to the celebrity who has a lot of Twitter followers, and might be able to sway a minority of those customers to play and pay-for the celebrity themed game.

It's a tricky balancing act creating games that pay the bills and games that you want to make as a game developer. Ideally, they'd be one and the same, but the realities of running a studio is that you often have to juggle multiple projects with limited resources, and some of those projects you're only doing to keep the lights on long enought to give you the opportunity to make the game you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed the app, but yeah, it didn't make it. However, that was a different situation than now when so many more people know about Cthulhu Wars and its sterling reputation. I don't think it would be nearly as difficult to get backers now compared to then.

Plus, the old campaign was made when Sandy was less experienced with Kickstarter and it didn't really have the right sort of appeal with exclusives/upgrades/stretch goals. It could be run a lot better now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:

It's a tricky balancing act creating games that pay the bills and games that you want to make as a game developer. Ideally, they'd be one and the same, but the realities of running a studio is that you often have to juggle multiple projects with limited resources, and some of those projects you're only doing to keep the lights on long enought to give you the opportunity to make the game you want.

This is very true. When Sandy worked at Ensemble (for more than 10 years), he was there for every game the company ever made, and worked on every title they ever did (in some capacity or other), until the company was foolishly dissolved by Microsoft. He was lead designer on all 3 Age ex-packs.

However, as his son in High school, and then college during much of those years, my memory and perception is that at least half of all the work he did at Ensemble Studios was as lead designer on various (at least a dozen) projects that ended up being cancelled, never released. Some of these were going to be super excellent games (if you ever meet him in person, ask him about "Sorcerer" or "Nemesis" or "Bam" - those are my 3 favorite never released games). Some were far along, some quite far along, almost to Beta (or perhaps actually to Beta, I don't know).

In any case, the powers that be made the studio be stuck in a (very financially successful) rut of producing exclusively RTS games.

Now that Sandy's solidly in the board game world, we will never get his Adventure VGs and his RPG VGs. All we have are his shooters and RTS games. Alas cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention Titan, and Monster Colosseum, two other cancelled titles I did a lot of work on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:
Not to mention Titan, and Monster Colosseum, two other cancelled titles I did a lot of work on.

Titan would have likely been the first MMO I would have played.

Monster Colosseum - now THAT could be awesomely translated into a board game! hint...goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is not bringing closer my dream CW iPad app !!!
Maybe a Vassal module ? or a BGA one ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The great thing is that the biggest problem isn't programming the app. It's getting the app published on app store since apple tries really hard to keep your apps away from there by having vague rules and nazi like regulations.
I hate apple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another problem is that some of the spellbooks don't translate that well to digital. Example should Cthulhu be prompted after every action to ask if he wants to devolve?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unsolvable Riddle
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the game enough already to have a card that reads "port game mechanics to test AI (JS/React/Prolog?!)" in my mid-term TODO list. Alas it's
a) Unlikely to happen
b) Only for AI testing/personal use

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valandor wrote:
Another problem is that some of the spellbooks don't translate that well to digital. Example should Cthulhu be prompted after every action to ask if he wants to devolve?

The solution is to only offer the ability to perform interrupts when they're relevant. For Devolve, this is on your turn, or whenever your cultist and and enemy unit newly occupy the same region, such as by them moving into your region or your cultist being pained into their region. For Dragon Ascending, this is on your turn, or whenever another player gains power or you lose power.

Oh, and I am an app developer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
Santiago wrote:
The solution is to only offer the ability to perform interrupts when they're relevant. For Devolve, this is on your turn, or whenever your cultist and and enemy unit newly occupy the same region, such as by them moving into your region or your cultist being pained into their region.

The option to Devolve is not relevant only in those circumstances. You would need to be offered it after every action, including unlimited actions. The only circumstance where I think it is not necessary to offer is where GC has no deep ones (this can happen easily) or no cultists (can't imagine this happening) on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Rieder
msg tools
As an app developer (and a Cthulhu Wars backer), I've actually thought about these situations in sketching out ideas for a CW port - you'd need an easily accessible "ignore my devolve ability" option that could be turned off quickly as you approach a situation where you'd use it, a simple button to "agree" to every action advance, or an "interrupt / veto" button (within a few seconds of an action) to assert your desire to devolve (which is similar to real life game-play, as you have to jump in with a "I'm devolving" interrupt). There could even be a house rule option that allowed you to roll back a (non-battle) related action to get in a devolve where you were a bit slow in hitting the button.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wrieder66 wrote:
As an app developer (and a Cthulhu Wars backer), I've actually thought about these situations in sketching out ideas for a CW port - you'd need an easily accessible "ignore my devolve ability" option that could be turned off quickly as you approach a situation where you'd use it, a simple button to "agree" to every action advance, or an "interrupt / veto" button (within a few seconds of an action) to assert your desire to devolve (which is similar to real life game-play, as you have to jump in with a "I'm devolving" interrupt). There could even be a house rule option that allowed you to roll back a (non-battle) related action to get in a devolve where you were a bit slow in hitting the button.

This would assume you are playing the entire game in one sitting, most app based games give you the option to play games like this over a long period of time. Which makes managing this devolve option a pain. A better option would most likely be a couple of tickboxes with situations in like: "When a opponents monster enters an area with a undefended cultist"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Rieder
msg tools
Valandor wrote:
This would assume you are playing the entire game in one sitting, most app based games give you the option to play games like this over a long period of time. Which makes managing this devolve option a pain. A better option would most likely be a couple of tickboxes with situations in like: "When a opponents monster enters an area with a undefended cultist"

Though I don't think it needs to be a "play entirely in one sitting" game (dropped connection or too long a response should pause the game until all players are reconnected), it does feel like a "play together at the same time" game. I suppose that could also be an option - Play By Forum style vs. Play Together style, with PBF making devolve and the like a bit less accurate (through use of your turn-based tickbox interrupter).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hivemind wrote:
Santiago wrote:
The solution is to only offer the ability to perform interrupts when they're relevant. For Devolve, this is on your turn, or whenever your cultist and an enemy unit newly occupy the same region, such as by them moving into your region or your cultist being pained into their region.

The option to Devolve is not relevant only in those circumstances. You would need to be offered it after every action, including unlimited actions. The only circumstance where I think it is not necessary to offer is where GC has no deep ones (this can happen easily) or no cultists (can't imagine this happening) on the board.

Yes, that doesn't cover every opportunity to Devolve that exists in the board game, but it does guarantee that you have at least one opportunity to do so between any move that you would want to Devolve in response to and your opponent having an opportunity to make a subsequent move. (Well, barring weird corner cases like someone attacking Black Goat and paining some Mi-Go around thereby making it more attractive to Ghroth on Black Goat's next turn, and Cthulhu somehow wanting to Devolve all his cultists off the map in response.) Thus, it may force you to Devolve slightly earlier than you otherwise would in order to speed up the gameplay when forcing the game into a strict turn-based order as is necessary to get asynchronous play working (unless you want to allow after-the-fact interrupts and rollbacks, which is far messier in my opinion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And on a second note when we get to the expansions.

How would we ever do the High Priest sacrificing in a multi session game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'd have a settings profile for High Priest stuff. Something like the following:
- Prompt before next turn?
- Prompt when Player A is out of power?
- Prompt when all players are out of power?
- Prompt if High Priest could be Captured?
etc

You could also add timers to each of those, so the more common things will default to "No" if you're not responding in an appropriately timely manner. In that way, the prompt for impending Capture gives you 24 hours to respond, whereas the prompt for it being your turn gives you 30 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.