Popular Tags: [View All]
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Nephew

Seven going on eight. He's a sharp seven year old though. I know every uncle thinks that about their nephew, but he slightly terrifies me at times. He watches The Hunger Games related videos on YouTube and has the plot of his first novel already sketched out.

I introduced him properly to gaming at Christmas, via the means of The Classic Dungeon and he absolutely loved it. He picked it up very quickly and was just about ok with totaling his gold pieces himself. After the first game he asked to move straight to the advanced rules, which was somewhat quicker than I'd expected! Obviously, I'm wanting to capitalise on his new found love of gaming. I'm thinking of The Sorcerer's Cave and maybe Talisman, but was wondering what other games people would recommend.

Essentials

A setting he'll enjoy. On this, he likes a lot of what you might expect a stereotypical seven year old boy to be into. He likes wizards & dragons, pirates, dinosaurs and football.

A setting his parents won't mind. They're pretty laidback, but they're rather hippyish. What this means in practise is nothing with a modern war theme; something with knights would be fine. As a rule of thumb, if guns are more developed than flintlocks, it's probably too recent.

A competitive game. He's quite competitive and isn't likely to enjoy co-ops as much.

A significant amount of randomness. He likes this, because he prefers being able to blame bad luck when things go horribly wrong.

Desirables

Direct PvP. Possibly not as the only focus of the game, but he finds attacking other players hilarious. (I've already had to tell him that trash talking his grandmother is not a good idea if he wants a decent birthday present). Apparently, his father is blaming me for that part. Outrageous, I'm sure you'll agree.

Variable player numbers. Ideally, it should play fine with both 2 and 4-6 players. We can often rope in his aunt and one of his two parents. (Advantages of being a gaming family). And sometimes the other uncle or some of my friends. (He was very proud of getting to play games with my gaming buddies last time). But sometimes it may just be just me and him.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuliyan Kalaydzhiev
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like fun time you are having with your nephew!

Claustrophobia minus: two player only
Dungeons & Dragons: Attack Wing minus: can be a money sink
Pirate's Cove
Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie minus: will be a money sink
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Stewart
Scotland
ELGIN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the Dice Masters Genre thye seem to be doing really well and great with kids due to the Marvel theme and D&D theme avaiable.....not to mentiont he soon to be DC Theme (excited much)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe King of Tokyo (monsters, attacking each other, dice randomness, winner-take-all, easy for everyone to learn and join in), or if he can handle the extra rules in it King of New York (one problem might be that KoNY has modern weaponry in it, but it's used against monsters and not humans, so maybe it would be okay?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooo, Pirate's Cove looks like it might be right up his street, thank you. (The only pirate game I currently own is Blackbeard. Which is both too complex and contains material like the fact l'Olonnais was into ripping the still beating hearts from his victim).

And giant monsters fighting the army should be fine. It's more modern warfare his parents would prefer I avoid. In the same way as they're fine with him playing with water pistols, but aren't keen on highly realistic looking toy guns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think many of the recommendations made already are good options to consider.

I would also suggest watching the "Watch it Played" series with Rodney Smith and his son Luke. When the series first started I think Luke was around the same age as your nephew. I was always amazed at how well Luke seemed to pick up strategies in complex games (and win a lot of them). It might give you some ideas for game options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Jamaica? It checks the boxes for pirates, competitiveness, random elements, 2-6 players and looks lovely.

You've not listed superheroes in your menu but, for what it's worth, my videogame-loving eight year old nephew loves playing Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game with me when he visits (and then he wants to go on the Xbox). It's a co-op but there is an opportunity to beat the game and be the most Legendary hero, it was great to see him fist-pump a Legendary win with a powered-up Cyclops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuliyan Kalaydzhiev
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
Ooo, Pirate's Cove looks like it might be right up his street, thank you. (The only pirate game I currently own is Blackbeard. Which is both too complex and contains material like the fact l'Olonnais was into ripping the still beating hearts from his victim).

And giant monsters fighting the army should be fine. It's more modern warfare his parents would prefer I avoid. In the same way as they're fine with him playing with water pistols, but aren't keen on highly realistic looking toy guns.

Unfortunately, I forgot to mention that it is a 3+ player game!

Some other alternatives would be:
Jamaica
Pirates of the Spanish Main
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Campbell
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
My 8 year old really likes Talisman (Revised 4th Edition). If your nephew loves Dungeon, I would think Talisman would be a winner. We house rule that you can level up with 4 points worth of trophies, instead of 7, to keep the game length down.

Zombicide is another of my son's favorites, but there is no pvp in the base game. I believe Zombicide Season 3: Rue Morgue has pvp, but I don't know how well it works.

Have you considered Arcadia Quest? PvPvE in a dungeon setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jacobson

Omaha
Nebraska - NE
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would second or third Jamaica. Absolutely beautiful racing game with more than just racing, i.e. winning the race doesn't necessarily win you the game. In addition, Marvel Dice Masters is great. I play with my 5 year old, and though he wants to constantly attack and needs some reminders on special abilities, he does just fine with it. Your nephew at his age should pick it up rather quickly - especially if you do as was suggested and watch the Watch It Played videos with him. Marvel Dice Masters offers the most replay value - plus the booster packs are only 99 cents so your nephew might enjoy picking up a few with you. I know my son found it fun just guessing at what might be inside. Just don't get him hooked on collectible card games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ivanhoe (plays 2 to 5; an old classic that might fit the bill)
Love Letter (plays 2 to 4; the Hobbit or Batman re-theme versions might go over better with him)
Cutthroat Caverns (doesn't play with 2 though; plays 3 to 6)
Kung Fu Fighting (plays 2 to 6; would probably fit the bill if you can find a copy, I think it's OOP)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CM Amidon
United States
Hancock
Michigan
flag msg tools
Isle Royale NP
badge
GO CRAWL IN A CAVE! When not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Mice and Mystics or Castle Panic. Fits all of your essentials, but does miss on PvP. If he likes either, they both have good expansions.

For PVP but only 2 player, what about Star Realms. I've heard it's pretty good for kids of that age to pickup quickly and play

For something a little differet:
Hey That's My Fish might also work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jacobson

Omaha
Nebraska - NE
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics is totally amazing to play with a young child. I would totally recommend it. But it is co-op and you mentioned he doesn't go for those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
for PVP id recommend Nexus Ops, its pretty much the ultimate boy game. its got cool alien minis and its all about going directly for the other players throats and blowing everything up at all times. hopefully the sci fi theme will not upset the parents.

edit: also it plays very well with 2, 3 or 4. and its quick for that kind of game (60-90 min, depending on player count).

edit edit: forgot to mention theres a lot of luck also. the better player will probably win, but dice factor heavily into the outcomes. also there are card draws and tile flips that add more luck into the proceedings.

man now i just made myself want to play nexus ops today more than anything
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started getting my nephew into games when he was around that age. I started him off with Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie, and he has been a gamer ever since. If you can find a set for a decent price, I say go for it. There is no better game for a young male gamer who wants to fight stuff. As far as guns go, there is one squad of WWII era paratroopers and Matrix-looking agents in the master set, and there are some 18th century yanks and brits with muskets in expansions. Some of the weird aliens and robots have guns too, but they're still pretty fantastical. There are also elves, vikings, dragons, samurai, and orcs-riding-dinosaurs. This game has it all! The only downside I can name is the setup and teardown time. But if he like minecraft or legos, setting up the game is half the fun.

Other games he has enjoyed:

Summoner Wars
King of Tokyo
Pokémon Trading Card Game We actually play the game!
The Resistance: Avalon (He's 12 now. This might be tougher for a 7 year old and it requires 5 players).

You'll notice that I have micro badges for some of these games... they're among my favorites too. If you're excited about it, it'll help him get excited about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabi Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We started age 6 with our youngest playing Catan (the kids-version was not even thought of then)and it has worked out fine: she (age 18 now) is still the one winning most Catan games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to start with Jamaica and look at King of Tokyo after that. They both look like games I think he'd like.

The comic based games are for some time in the future. He's still on the Beano at the moment, but superhero comics are one of my definite plans for something to introduce him to. (Probably on his birthday).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.