Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always enjoyed this game. However, I've always had a terrible time understanding the limits and the procedures applied when attacking from the ocean. There appears to be card limits when attacking but not when defending, as well as other significant differences between an assault from the ocean and any other attack. Can anyone provide a concise easy to understand summary of this aspect of the Blue vs. Gray?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You about have it, really.

Only the Union may make sea assaults, and may only make one per turn. The assaulting force must come from the Eastern Theater, and must have a naval squadron in the Eastern Theater as well. The target port may be along the Atlantic or Gulf coasts, however.

The attacking force may consist of one leaderless corps, or one leader and at most two corps. (You couldn't transport too many men back then.) Cavalry may not be transported. Indeed, the CSA defender is not limited to how many divisions it can defend with.

Otherwise, attacks are handled like a normal land attack. If you're attacking with one leaderless corps, Generals' and Soldiers' battles results are treated like stalemates.

Hope that helps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank for your reply. That helps alot. So if the Union's size is limited and the Confederate's are not limited in size, then why would the Union ever want to try an ocean attack unless the Confederate force was completely disrupted? It would just seem to me that the Union would better serve itself to utilize a strong force inland and avoid ocean attacks altogether.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, you're most of the way there. There weren't too many seaborne invasions durng the real war, remember. (At this scale. New Bern is, if I recall correctly, handled by which map card comes up.)

One reason you might want to do it is if you can coordinate a pair of attacks against a CSA player with either one command or one strong and one weak command in a theater. You send a strong force overland, which is contested by the big CSA command, and then the seaborne invasion which is either uncontested or contested by a very weak command, which sets up a new front.

It's not something you'll do very often, but the threat is sometimes stronger than the execution. It can help keep the CSA forces separated.

It also helps with the blockade, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.