Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does it cost 39$ to ship to Iceland but only 19$ to most other countries. I'm just not willing to pay double the shipping price someone from Finland or Latvia has to pay, I refuse to believe that it costs that much more to ship to Iceland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's either because of the white walkers and wildlings, or your volcanoes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okami31 wrote:
It's either because of the white walkers and wildlings, or your volcanoes.

The volcano is not erupting at the moment, and we got the Mountain to handle the other dangers.

Supposedly the fulfillment center sets these prices and as Iceland is not in the EU it's automatically set with shipping charges at the same level as Pitcairn Islands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ingolfur,

Shipping was based off of a quote we got from a fulfillment center, and they charge more for countries outside the EU. We are actually subsidizing all pledge levels for shipping a bit too, as this is the lowest price I have found for delivery (each KS I have ran previously charged much more actually, so we are getting better every time!).

I wish I could find a lower cost provider, but so far, I have not found one. We will continue to look for better prices, and will try to have the game for Essen so maybe this is a possibility down the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
onekccs wrote:
Hi Ingolfur,

Shipping was based off of a quote we got from a fulfillment center, and they charge more for countries outside the EU.

Which is a weird thing to do, I can't imaging actual shipping charges are based on political status vs. geographical location.

So Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein will have to pay 39$, same as Vanuatu, Pitcairn Islands and New Zealand, while Barrow Alaska pays 30$ less.

Stupid postal system, but I understand it's out of your hands.

I guess my wallet can handle skipping a few games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KronikAlkoholik wrote:
I can't imaging actual shipping charges are based on political status vs. geographical location.

You really can't imagine that? It definitely costs me less to send a package to Alaska than to a much closer destination in Mexico, for example. Shipping costs are often influenced by political considerations: the whole point of having something like the EU is that the members agree to favor other members with things like favorable shipping prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
KronikAlkoholik wrote:
I can't imaging actual shipping charges are based on political status vs. geographical location.

You really can't imagine that? It definitely costs me less to send a package to Alaska than to a much closer destination in Mexico, for example. Shipping costs are often influenced by political considerations: the whole point of having something like the EU is that the members agree to favor other members with things like favorable shipping prices.

Well I would understand there being no import taxes and all that, but in Iceland there are no extra fees on the sender.

I'm suggesting that sailing a ship or flying a plane to Iceland is not more expensive then to Finland, even though Finland is in the EU. A postal service being a privately run company would not be influence beyond regulations changes. I'm no expert though. Iceland is also a member of EFTA and EEA that allows free movement of goods between Iceland and all EU nations.

I live in Iceland and regularly order things of the internet and pay a lot less than 39$ for most things.

This is just a poor excuse of the fulfillment center to lump countries into broad categories to simplify things and they happen to use EU as their limit. If someone in the UK would go to the post office and try to mail a package to Iceland and Finland, I can almost promise you the Iceland package isn't going to cost twice the amount of the Icelandic one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hoefle
Germany
Ebersbach
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Ingólfur Valsson

will you be in Essen this or the next year? I could buy one game for you ( if they allow it ) and give it to you there

just shoot me a private mail

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
the things that bugs me the most is you have designers from europe making a game that will be send from within europe but still costs 19 dollars to send but usa backers only have to pay 9 dollars....

Besides 3 other company's who truely are european friendly, others are just happy that we don't have to pay import taxes but yet we pay more then double sending costs sometimes triple. Thx for no import taxes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xorron wrote:
@Ingólfur Valsson

will you be in Essen this or the next year? I could buy one game for you ( if they allow it ) and give it to you there

just shoot me a private mail

Tom

Thansk for the offer but no I will not.

Will be in Berlin in October.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The shipping is killing it for me - after conversion it works out at $50AUD. I know shipping is expensive to Australia, but the price of it and the fact that you cannot add on additional copies to offset the cost is also a killer, as I know there would be locals who would jump at this if that were the situation.

There are other Kickstarter projects that I have backed or considered that have worked to provide much better shipping rates than the one for Posthuman - Stonemaier works with Good Games here in Australia as a distribution point, Eagle-Gryphon Games is working with a local FLGS as a distribution point and their shipping for Tumblin' Dice is $10 less than Posthuman and that game is in a big box (18" by 16" by 6") and weighs about 6.5 lbs (3 kg).
Modiphius have worked hard through their Thunderbirds campaign to get better rates for single pledges, as well as for additional copies. So, I'm disappointed that it seems nothing can be done about shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kon Stavrinos
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Paul and Ingólfur.

Australians paid $16 for postage on the Vituculture/Tuscany campaign.

Companies like Stonemaier Games and a few others go out of their way to make games and in particular postage for Aussies, affordable.

While others (no names mentioned, but you know who I mean) couldn't care less.

All it takes is a little investment in time, just watch Jamey Stegmaier's wonderful kickstarter lessons on the Stonemair games website, in particular the blog on shipping to Australia/NZ.

http://stonemaiergames.com/3-shipping-partners-for-australia...

So whoever says it can't be done cheaply , obviously hasn't tried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
batcut wrote:
The shipping is killing it for me - after conversion it works out at $50AUD.

Which brings the cost of the game up to about $117 in AUD - its just too high to consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
batcut wrote:
The shipping is killing it for me - after conversion it works out at $50AUD.

Which brings the cost of the game up to about $117 in AUD - its just too high to consider.

More than likely I will cancel my pledge as there seems to be no way the shipping will reduce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Medvinskiy
United States
Folcroft
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
KronikAlkoholik wrote:

Which is a weird thing to do, I can't imaging actual shipping charges are based on political status vs. geographical location.

So Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein will have to pay 39$, same as Vanuatu, Pitcairn Islands and New Zealand, while Barrow Alaska pays 30$ less.

Look at Russia shipping costs, man, and be happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hickname wrote:
KronikAlkoholik wrote:

Look at Russia shipping costs, man, and be happy.

It's $39 like most of the countries listed.

Unless, you're talking about shipping in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Medvinskiy
United States
Folcroft
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
batcut wrote:

No, i'm talking about this particular KS. Last time i checked it was $200.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hickname wrote:
batcut wrote:

No, i'm talking about this particular KS. Last time i checked it was $200.

Were you logged into Kickstarter when you checked? I've noticed anomalies in shipping costs when I'm not, which is strange.

Just checked in the dropdown and it shows $39 if I try and change the shipping to country. But the project page states that they don't ship to Russia, Brazil or South Africa. Weird.

I'm just not convinced by the management of the KS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wolverine1977 wrote:
the things that bugs me the most is you have designers from europe making a game that will be send from within europe but still costs 19 dollars to send but usa backers only have to pay 9 dollars....

Besides 3 other company's who truely are european friendly, others are just happy that we don't have to pay import taxes but yet we pay more then double sending costs sometimes triple. Thx for no import taxes...

Yes, sadly this is standard. Eu board game companies charge twice to ship to europe than the U.S., which somewhat begs the question: why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
Life goes on...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
Yes, sadly this is standard. Eu board game companies charge twice to ship to europe than the U.S., which somewhat begs the question: why?

Really? An obvious answer would be VAT and other taxes they cover.
But I know what you mean. It is shame that most KS projects are heavily geared towerds US market with EU and RoW being an afterthought, particulary regarding shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Medvinskiy
United States
Folcroft
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
batcut wrote:

Were you logged into Kickstarter when you checked? I've noticed anomalies in shipping costs when I'm not, which is strange.

Just checked in the dropdown and it shows $39 if I try and change the shipping to country. But the project page states that they don't ship to Russia, Brazil or South Africa. Weird.

I'm just not convinced by the management of the KS.

I was logged it. You can exclude countries from shipping list, so either it is a KS bug, or project creator just put very high shipping cost instead of excluding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could probably hand deliver it for about $2000 USD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scubadawg1 wrote:
I could probably hand deliver it for about $2000 USD.

Fine offer, but if my calculations are correct (and they rarely are) 2000$ is more than 39$. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hybry wrote:
MrMT wrote:

Really? An obvious answer would be VAT and other taxes they cover.
But I know what you mean. It is shame that most KS projects are heavily geared towerds US market with EU and RoW being an afterthought, particulary regarding shipping.

I think it has very much to do with the reality that it seems that you can't officially start a Kickstarter from within the EU.

So this means I guess they have to legally treat it as produced in USA or outside of the EU and have to pay import-taxes to the EU even if they produced it in the EU. But that's just a guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:
I think it has very much to do with the reality that it seems that you can't officially start a Kickstarter from within the EU.

Sure you can. You just have to have a US (or UK) company, this doesn't mean you have to be physically there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.