Jordan Upham
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The magic missile action is as follows
Deal 2 Damage to a character or player
** Deal extra damage to a character equal to the level of your highest level adventurer in the field.

Say I have a level 2 adventurer fielded and I roll the ** version of magic missile. Can you split the damage (2 the player and the 2 extra to a character) or do you have to choose between 2 damage to the player or 4 damage to a character?

Another general question, can any of this damage be blocked by assigning blockers or does it just goto whatever the attacker chooses?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanouil Karakostas
Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jupham wrote:

Another general question, can any of this damage be blocked by assigning blockers or does it just goto whatever the attacker chooses?

This damage cannot be blocked.
It is not an attack, just an ability damage.
Only prevented with some other way if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good question. It was ruled that the global on Human Torch - Flame On must apply the extra damage to a target of the original damage, but it is also worded a little differently than this is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jupham wrote:
** Deal extra damage to a character equal to the level of your highest level adventurer in the field.

Say I have a level 2 adventurer fielded and I roll the ** version of magic missile. Can you split the damage (2 the player and the 2 extra to a character) or do you have to choose between 2 damage to the player or 4 damage to a character?

Until Wizkids tells me different, I would treat it as:

Magic Missile:
Deal 2 damage to a character or a player
** If a character was chosen as the target for Magic Missile, deal extra damage to that character equal to the level of your highest level adventurer in the field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Upham
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
jupham wrote:

Until Wizkids tells me different, I would treat it as:

Magic Missile:
Deal 2 damage to a character or a player
** If a character was chosen as the target for Magic Missile, deal extra damage to that character equal to the level of your highest level adventurer in the field.

This was our first game and how we played it. I like to check what others say after the fact for future games though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't read it the same way.

The card says "Deal 2 damage to a character or player"

If you pick the "or player" piece, does that mean you lose the effect of the "**"?? I don't think so. I think the "extra" damage would be dealt separately to a character that meets the "equal to the level of your highest level adventurer in the field" restriction.
So, in essence, you get a special effect out of the "**" result (as is very common in many other cards from all the sets).

Of course, Wizkidz gets the final say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
rmair62 wrote:

If you pick the "or player" piece, does that mean you lose the effect of the "**"?? I don't think so. I think the "extra" damage would be dealt separately to a character that meets the "equal to the level of your highest level adventurer in the field" restriction.
So, in essence, you get a special effect out of the "**" result (as is very common in many other cards from all the sets).

I am with you on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am only drawing on Wizkids' precedent. Extra damage can only go to something that has been damaged.

If you chose a player, you can't assign a character "extra", because it didn't get any in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:
rmair62 wrote:

I am with you on this.

I concur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MadLad Designs
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
Check out DoomGloom Dungeon!
badge
YouTube/MadLadDesigns
mbmbmbmbmb
I read it like this:

** Choose a opposing character that is in the field, look at the highest character you have in the field (3A for example) and deal that damage (3) to the opposing character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nickydude wrote:
I read it like this:

** Choose a opposing character that is in the field, look at the highest character you have in the field (3A for example) and deal that damage (3) to the opposing character.

Do you mean you do additional damage, to an opposing character, that is equal to the highest attack value of your fielded characters?

If so, I think it is definitely not that.

"Level" is, well, level, not attack value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Tomilowitz
msg tools
Highest level adventurer. Not character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Upham
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
robert62 wrote:

Well, now that we have the adventurer part of the card figured out. Any consensus on the actual question? I tried to post at the wizkids dice masters forums but it never showed up. Not sure if the moderators didn't like the question or it just takes more time for them to review the questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Bolt was already one of the few basic action cards that already saw play. Magic Missile took it, then ramped it up by giving it a kick ass global ability.

Now, to give it the ability to target 2 things? I don't see Wizkids ramping the power that much on an already very playable card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
jupham wrote:
robert62 wrote:

Well, now that we have the adventurer part of the card figured out. Any consensus on the actual question? I tried to post at the wizkids dice masters forums but it never showed up. Not sure if the moderators didn't like the question or it just takes more time for them to review the questions.

WizKids does not post questions until the review team has looked at it and responded. I had a question post 5-6 weeks after I submitted it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
Power Bolt was already one of the few basic action cards that already saw play. Magic Missile took it, then ramped it up by giving it a kick ass global ability.

Now, to give it the ability to target 2 things? I don't see Wizkids ramping the power that much on an already very playable card.

It is just a 1 in 6 chance of going off with the stipulation you have an adventurer in play.

I think of it less as power ramp and more a reward for playing with the them/set. Its just the same as power bolt dropped into Marvel or YuGiOh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:
crambaza wrote:

It is just a 1 in 6 chance of going off with the stipulation you have an adventurer in play.

I think of it less as power ramp and more a reward for playing with the them/set. Its just the same as power bolt dropped into Marvel or YuGiOh
Well, if we are going to be accurate, with a reroll, it's 11/36 or just over 30%. That's a pretty big boost over an already good card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.J.
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if you have no adventurers in the field? The stipulation makes it much weaker, it seems to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perrytom wrote:
What if you have no adventurers in the field? The stipulation makes it much weaker, it seems to me.
?

It's the same cost to buy as Power Bolt, and it deals 2 damage to any target, like Power Bolt.

In addition, it has a kick ass global, while Power Bolt has no global.

Finally, it has a 30% chance to deal more damage to a character, while Power Bolt will only ever deal 2.

It's better in every way compared to Power Bolt.

If you add to that the ability for an additional target, I feel that's too much.

Of course, only Wizkids can tell us for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.J.
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't comparing it to Power Bolt, which I understand is weaker. I'm just saying, its added damage is not so super strong as it might be seem because it depends on having a specific kind of character already fielded. If you don't have an adventurer in your team, or if none of them are fielded at the time you roll that burst symbol - you don't get anything in addition to the original damage.

And the fact it has a kick ass global is, as with all globals, a double edged sword - because your opponent can use it too. It seems like their general philosophy regarding globals is that they don't need to do much to balance them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Tomilowitz
msg tools
Obviously, Wizkids needs to rule on this. But absent qualifying or conditional language in the burst text, I would say it can be a different character target than the one the above card ability was applied.

Reference in the each of the following card texts, the burst ability must be applied to the same target as stated in the above card ability:

Take That Villain
Deal 3 damage to a Villain.
** Deal an extra 1 damage to that Villain.

Selective Shield
Choose an energy type. Characters of that type cannot attack until your next turn.
** Also choose one character of that type. That character cannot block until your next turn.

Inner Rage
Two of your target characters get +1A and +1D (until the end of the turn).
*/** Those characters get an additional +1A and +1D.

If Magic Missile's burst was written as "...deal extra damage to that character...", or "the target character...," or such similar words, then I would agree that the burst is only applicable to the character target selected in the above ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robert62 wrote:
Obviously, Wizkids needs to rule on this. But absent qualifying or conditional language in the burst text, I would say it can be a different character target than the one the above card ability was applied.

Reference in the each of the following card texts, the burst ability must be applied to the same target as stated in the above card ability:

Take That Villain
Deal 3 damage to a Villain.
** Deal an extra 1 damage to that Villain.

Selective Shield
Choose an energy type. Characters of that type cannot attack until your next turn.
** Also choose one character of that type. That character cannot block until your next turn.

Inner Rage
Two of your target characters get +1A and +1D (until the end of the turn).
*/** Those characters get an additional +1A and +1D.

If Magic Missile's burst was written as "...deal extra damage to that character...", or "the target character...," or such similar words, then I would agree that the burst is only applicable to the character target selected in the above ability.

But if you choose the player for the target, it would open up the same number of threads for the same question, or worse, asking if the extra damage could go to the player.

To add to your list above:

Mjolnir: Forged by Odin
Deal 5 damage to target character.
* Deal an extra 1 damage.
** Deal an extra 3 damage.

This does show an interesting pattern though. Using the word "extra" in the past has always meant to deal more to something that has already gotten some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But in all of those other examples the "extra" obviously referred to doing extra damage. In the case of MM it is more specific by saying you deal extra damage to something else and that something is identified in the text.
In this case I would read "extra" as an extra target, not a extra damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Tomilowitz
msg tools
I thought about if the initial target was player vice character, but I had no confusion because the burst ability specifically states dealing extra damage to a character.

I do agree that the use of the word extra meant more to the same target, as in the Mjolnir example, but the majority of the word's application has to do with drawing extra dice, not extra damage.

However, there is one global that is consistent with the opinion that "extra damage" denotes a separate target:

Human Torch's - "Flame On!" global:
Pay one bolt energy when you deal damage with an action die or global ability to deal one extra damage to one target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robert62 wrote:
I thought about if the initial target was player vice character, but I had no confusion because the burst ability specifically states dealing extra damage to a character.

I do agree that the use of the word extra meant more to the same target, as in the Mjolnir example, but the majority of the word's application has to do with drawing extra dice, not extra damage.

However, there is one global that is consistent with the opinion that "extra damage" denotes a separate target:

Human Torch's - "Flame On!" global:
Pay one bolt energy when you deal damage with an action die or global ability to deal one extra damage to one target.
Actually, Human Torch's global ability damage must go to one of the targets that has already received damage from the original source, according to Wizkids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.