WildLife» Forums » General

Subject: Your experience with 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fxer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most all my games are played 2 player, how has playing Wildlife with that many worked out for other people?

From posts here, it seems that 6 players is optimal, with 3 players being almost as good. 4 players is pretty good, and 5 will always be heavily imbalanced, once species will basically get a free ride. Does that assessment seem accurate, where would 2 players fit in the ideal player # flow chart?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it kinda sucked with only three, but was pretty wicked with 6. I would think that 2 would be pretty bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Six is definitely optimal, and three is playable with a bit of careful setup - see my session report here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/121389

I imagine with two players you might want to control two (or perhaps even three?) species each. I'm not sure what complications this would introduce. If you only have one species each I imagine you could end up completely avoiding each other, which would be very boring. You might want to restrict the island size, or make one or two terrains completely impassable?

If you play two-player, please write a session report and tell us how it goes! :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve+Jackie McKeogh
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We find Wildlife to be an extremely good 2 player game. Just play it according to the rules - there is no need for a 2nd species each. There is plenty of conflict and no chance of anyone getting a free ride! We've had the game since it came out in 2002, and it has stayed in our top 5 games since then - always played it as 2 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildlife with 2 works okay. We reduce the ability cards to 1 of each type, and reduce the number of terrain cards, otherwise it comes down to luck of the draw (draw jokers and arrows and you'll win).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the more the better. 2 player I didn't care for and 3 isn't as good as 4, 5, or 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tvrtko Mrkonjić
Croatia
Zagreb
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every boardgame always looks worse with 2 players than with more. However, I'd say that gap with this game is much tighter: meaning it is playable.

Only real spoiler is that both players are always fighting for aggresion card, because it is strongest card in 2-player setup (by my opinion)

Game is played shorter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.