Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Nick
Canada
TORONTO
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is unclear whether or not tokens in one's possession should be public or can be kept hidden. This makes a difference in how easy it is to decide whether or not to go after a specific Ware.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
True, though in my edition, they are rounded glass beads, not exactly easy to stack and not exactly concealed if you flip them over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Verdonck
Belgium
Edegem
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules don't specify whether the tokens should be public or kept hidden. Because the game doesn't come with anything to hide the tokens, I would assume that the intention is to keep them public.
Nevertheless, I believe you can just choose which way to go before you start playing.
I never played keeping the tokens hidden, but it has certainly has some advantages. For one, it solves the 'issue' of people grabbing a specific ware with lots of tokens left before you can get it with nothing left after lots of trading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Orleans
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, the Brettspielwelt implementation makes all gems public, so that's how I've played the face-to-face game. I think the game has little enough interaction as it is, so why not let people see what others are doing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Chump wrote:
It is unclear whether or not tokens in one's possession should be public or can be kept hidden. This makes a difference in how easy it is to decide whether or not to go after a specific Ware.

Public.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BSW is never a place to look to for answers concerning public information. They always make anything that is trackable public, since you could just look in the game log.

I never even considered that the coins would be hidden in this game. One thing of note is that Sackson's Acquire also doesn't mention hidden or open assets, however he has been quoted as saying he prefers them hidden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having actually played the game now, I wonder if hidden tokens would be better. I found myself looking around to see what tokens players had and which ware they were going for. In one instance it allowed me to realize that the person ahead of me in turn order was going to be able to buy a ware right before I would be able to, so I changed my plan and went for something else.

However, I think there is one particular thing that makes it fairly obvious that tokens are meant to be public: the ten token limit. Having the tokens public allows everyone to ensure no one is "cheating" (intentionally or accidentally).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david smith

Onsted
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because of the rule that no one can have more than 10 coins at the end of their turn , I would have to say that coins are not to be concealed - or at the very least any player can ask to see any other players coins to verify how many they actually have . I personally play with coins not being concealed .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.