Terra Mystica» Forums » Variants

Subject: Idea for a new faction - The Vagabonds rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Silly Words
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Again, an attempt to tweak some part of the game engine to create a new faction. This time I decided to focus on goal to build towns. May I introduce you to …….. the vagabonds.

This will be the last suggestion for a while.

VERSION 1

[b]=== Vagabond Faction ===

Character Description.

Vagabonds are highly mobile characters, that live on the outside of towns. They never form towns themselves, just profit from the proximity to towns. When opponents towns are made, vagabonds are always there as part of the celebrations, scrounging for gifts.

Abilities.

1) At the end of the game, Vagabonds receive 1vp per building level per neighbor for their buildings which adjoin an opponent’s town.
2) Every time an opponent completes an adjoining town, the vagabond scrounges and can choose between 1c or 2pw per town.

Stronghold

The stronghold has an income of 4w per turn and a one-time shipping upgrade and a single town key.

Other details

SH costs 4/6. The SA costs 4/8 and in addition to an income of 1p, there is a one-time shipping upgrade. All other costs and incomes are standard. There is a base worker. The eighth dwelling produces a worker. Power is 3/9. As with the variable factions, the home colour has to be chosen from available colours. Regarding the vp ability, a single vagabond building can receive vp’s from multiple towns, for example, a SH adjoining two towns is worth 6vp (building level 3 * 2 neighbours). Regarding the scrounging ability, the vagabond can only scrounge from towns being complete. They cannot scrounge anything from an existing town. Should the vagabonds form a town by chance, they receive no town bonus. Factions start 0/1/1/0. The initial (pre first income) resource counts are standard.

Expectation

This would be a very tactical faction and thus, probably good for strong players to play. With correct reading and placement, I would expect the total vp’s earned from the factional ability to at least match the vps earned from two normal towns. With a well-placed SA or SH, it is possible to obtain many vps. Without towns, the vagabonds lose out on the resource boost they get, but if they are quick enough to spread around, they can scrounge even more resources in total, than what they would’ve earned with towns. Clearly mobility in the phase before towns are built, should be a strategy goal of the vagabonds. The shipping upgrade on the SA is intended to help this mobility. Similar to cultists, the more opponents there are, the more successful this faction is likely to be. I personally think this would be a fun faction to play and probably good for beginners.

Any opinions from the experts? Does it sound viable/interesting/strong/weak? Are there places that you want to tweak, whilst keeping the original premise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Washington
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So at the end of the game, you look at each of your buildings, see if they are adjacent to an opponents building that is part of a town, and score x points for it, where x equals the level of the building.

You know this means a single dwelling placed in a location to offer an opponent 6 power will earn 6 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silly Words
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
croloris wrote:
So at the end of the game, you look at each of your buildings, see if they are adjacent to an opponents building that is part of a town, and score x points for it, where x equals the level of the building.

You know this means a single dwelling placed in a location to offer an opponent 6 power will earn 6 points.

No, you misunderstood. The single dwelling (or any building) will earn points dependent on

a) it's building level (which is 1 for a dwelling, two for TE/TP, three for SA/SH)
b) the number of adjacent towns.

So a dwelling is likely to most likely to earn 1vp and maybe 2vp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sprockitz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Another neat idea. It is hard for me to tell right away how strong this one will be.

With all these ideas seems like you are ready to create a full alternate set of factions. If you get to 7 of these 'variable' type factions you could assign each a specific color and play with only the alternates or play with everything and give players 3 faction choices per color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silly Words
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
gmg159 wrote:
Another neat idea. It is hard for me to tell right away how strong this one will be.

With all these ideas seems like you are ready to create a full alternate set of factions. If you get to 7 of these 'variable' type factions you could assign each a specific color and play with only the alternates or play with everything and give players 3 faction choices per color.

I'm actually coming to the conclusion I'm wasting my life contributing to other people's games instead of finishing my own "in perpetual development" game ideas. Still a leopard can't change his spots and I am as I am.

Oh and I like the idea of seven new factions. Then you can just use the existing colours and players get to choose between one of three factions per colour

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like this race might be very dependant on the number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.