Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Engler
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
@cengler42 on Instagram
badge
Don't get caught watching the paint dry.
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend and I played Arkham Horror tonight and, as usual, we lost. I've only played it a total of five times and haven't won yet. I was just wondering what other people's win percentage is with the game?

I think it's a great game and we always have fun but we just haven't been able to beat the Ancient One yet! Anyone have any winning strategies?

Thanks!
~Chris AKA kapnkrunch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to tell you the winning strategy since it takes a lot of fun out of the game.

The simplest advice is to seal gates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
played twice and won both with little effort, actually we we kind of upset that it was so easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Read up on some of the threads complaining that the game is too easy. You'll learn the ropes right quick.

Although, you say, "a friend and I", you're NOT playing with just two players are you? You'll lose EVERY time that way! (Unless you play the "each player gets two characters" variant, which is nice)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher KrackerJack
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
JVKhoury wrote:

Although, you say, "a friend and I", you're NOT playing with just two players are you? You'll lose EVERY time that way! (Unless you play the "each player gets two characters" variant, which is nice)

I disagree. Two player is the way to go. My wife and I play 2-player games regularly and have about a 50% win ratio (with the Dark Pharaoh expansion, about 67% with base rules). The game does get easier, and slower, with more players. I think 2-3 is the sweet spot for this one, but I have played some fun 5 player games as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately our win ratio is 100% so far. The game is too easy overall and unfortunately to make it harder it tends to require more overhead and upkeep to pay attention to each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex

Québec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only lost once, I think. (So about 95%) shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is harder, and MUCH MORE FUN with FEWER players... I've played several 2 player games (and some solo, two character games), lost most of the time, but had a total blast playing it.

It is a shame that adding players breaks the game, but it's because there is only 1 mythos action per N player actions and as N increases, the balance shifts in favour of the players... I hate to say this but Shadows Over Camelot worked a little better in this respect, with 1 Shadow action per player.. so increasing players increases the Shadow actions!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basic Game
Winning % with 1 player: 0%
Winning % with 2 players: 100% (one game only).
Winning % with 3 or more players: 100%
Winning % with 3 or more players using the designer housrules: about 80%

Basic + Dark Pharao, visiting style
Winning % with 1 player: 0%
Winning % with 2 players: about 40% (wins mostly due to 'nice' GOOs like Aza).
Winning % with 3 or more players: 0% (1 game only)

Bottom line: 1 player is insanely hard and can only be won with a good deal of luck.
2 player is challenging.
3+ players is next to impossible to loose once you figure out the strategies.

Cure of the Dark Pharao visiting style OTOH is extremely hard as you practically start with the doom track at 6 for few players and 4 for many players.

As far as tips go - there are mostly 2 things to look for:
*Frequency of Gate openings; not all places are equally active. A Witch house is much more dangerous then the science building
*Don't close too many gates without sealing. You help the GOO to awaken that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
With two characters (total, not per player) we win about 40-45%.
With three characters we win about 80%.
With four characters, we've probably won every single game except for one (or maybe two).

Two characters is my favorite way to play because it's the most rewarding when you win, and it's in character (Lovecraftian) when you lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably about 80% with three players. We deliberately took Hastur last game and lost though, 8 clue tokens is rough. We play with the expansion in the mix. Looking forward to Dunwitch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob McMurray
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played 9 times and won 7 ~ 78%. We usually play with 4 players but generally 3-5. We have the CofDP expansion but haven't played it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
I've played twice, both 2-player, both with only one character each. We won both games. The first game the GOO awakend and we beat him (though it cost me my sanity). The second game, we sealed all the gates.

I've read that it's too easy and that it's too hard. Of course, the GOO you are going against makes a difference. I found in both games that we were right on the edge of losing. It came down to the very end and we won by the hair of our chinny-chin-chins.

Then again, I've only played twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cook
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play with 2 characters each. But I find that its too easy. So now she plays with 2 characters and I play with 1. I use the house rules the designer uses to make it more challenging (from the FFG website). Even with 3, we almost always win, but it is certainly more interesting and tense.

I remember when we first got AH, we played with 1 character each and we got our butt kicked every time. It wasn't long before we switched to 2 characters each. Now that we know the strategies, I would love to go back to 1 character each.

Hopefully Santa will bring us some expansions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.