Subject: Does it matter which ship in Captain's phase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn Courington
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During the Captain's phase, if there are multiple empty ships, does it matter which one you choose to start shipping goods from, or MUST you choose the largest of the ships?

I can't find in the rules where it says, although I've seen it (somewhat ambiguously) in other tutorials. Maybe I'm just missing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
You can choose any shippable good to ship, and if it's not already on a ship, you can choose any open ship to use.

And yes, it matters a fair bit which open ship you choose, for a number of reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to note though, from the rules:

Quote:
If a player has a kind of good that can be loaded on several empty ships, he must choose the ship where he can load the most goods,leaving none behind, if possible.

If multiple ships allow you to ship all of the barrels, then you can choose which one.

So you can't pick a small boat that leaves you that 1 coffee to sell later, if there's a larger ship available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hindmarch
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The choice of which ship is an important scoring and/or blocking choice. Yes, it matters!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Courington
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should rephrase my question, as it's obvious that it matters. My question should have been,

MUST you always use the bigger ship when you have an option of two or more empty ships to ship goods?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
See Andy's answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C.
United States
Everett
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Batman2372 wrote:
MUST you always use the bigger ship when you have an option of two or more empty ships to ship goods?

Like Fraser said, Andy explains this pretty well.

To be clear, though, the "rule" is basically that you can't intentionally not load goods onto ships, if there's a way for you to load all (or more) of them. This is to prevent situations like Andy mentioned, where you could otherwise leave yourself with leftover goods to sell later (which would change the nature of the game dramatically).

Example:
If you have 4 Coffee and there are two ships with at least 4 open spaces, you get to choose which ship you put your Coffee on (since you're loading all of your Coffee, either way, it doesn't matter which ship you choose). If there's also a ship that has only 3 open spaces, however, you CANNOT choose that ship, load 3 Coffee and then hang onto that 4th Coffee for later--most likely with the intention to Trade it away for money--because you're FORCED to fit all 4 of your Coffee onto a boat, if you're able. This is why this rule exists.

Furthermore, just to be be extra-clear and helpful, bear in mind that, with this example, we're just looking at you loading a single type of good (Coffee). Ideally, what you want to be doing is "PROTECTING" your trade goods (typically Coffee and Tobacco) by also producing another (cheaper) good (i.e. Corn or Indigo). This is basic Puerto Rico strategy.

Example 2: (super-basic to make the point)
You have 4 Coffee and 3 Corn. There's a ship with 4 Open spots and another with 3 Open spots. You're the only one with goods to ship and someone else takes Captain because it has a lot of money on it. In this situation, you'd (generally) want to put your 3 Corn into the 4-Space boat and then put your 4 Coffee into the 3-Space boat. This will leave you with a single Coffee leftover, which will (hopefully) give you a strong Trade, in a later turn. If you didn't have this Corn, however, you would be FORCED to put your 4 Coffee onto the 4-open-spots ship, which would be (generally speaking) disastrous for you.

Note:
For the sake of just saying it, there are ABSOLUTELY reasons why, in that above Example 2, you'd actually want to load the 3 Corn into the 3-boat and the 4 Coffee into the 4-boat. Long story short, this would give you another Victory Point (from having shipped the Coffee), which could be relevant depending on a bunch of things. Also, it may be important that you empty both boats (by filling them both to capacity) so loading this way would accomplish that.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.