Hide
14 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: What is the best scum and villainy best list??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jeff mitcham
msg tools
Store tournament this weekend and I want to play something new. I have 1 of each thing from scum and villainy and 2 of the ig-2000. I'm looking for opinions on the best list currently being played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
Load up igs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an awfully broad request. There's no "best" list, and the most competitive lists my still be in the Rebel and Imperial factions. Plus, no matter how good a list is, you still have to practice with it.

So, playing along, if you want to fly Scum, here's what I'd try. This happens to be something I'm tinkering with already.

IG-88B and IG-88C, both with the following upgrades:
mangler cannon
fire-control system
autothrusters
proximity mines
hot shot blaster

There are lots of different ways to kit out the IGs. Push the limit is pretty popular. I've also seen heavy laser cannons.

Flying tips: If you have FCS and B's ability, save your actions for defense and arc-dodging. If you go with prox mines, make sure you're familiar with the FAQ. You can drop them under someone's base and have them detonate immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cordeiro wrote:
mangler cannon
fire-control system
autothrusters
proximity mines
hot shot blaster

I forget where I heard it, but I like this build:

IG-88 B/D:
Outmaneuver
Fire-control System
HLC
Autothrusters

Outmaneuver and Autothrusters pair well together, and seeing as this is a maneuvering build (and boost is not as effective on a PS6 ship in a PS9 meta) I like D's ability for repositioning.

I really like how Outmaneuver addresses the greatest weakness for an arc-dodging build like this: a YT may be able to shoot at it from any angle, but Leia might as well reach over and switch Threepio off for most of this fight. And even a Decimator won't hold up long against two HLCs with up to three re-rolls each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Chewie+Leebo build was decimated by 2x IG88s with Advanced Sensors/PTL, Autothrusters and some cannons. His strategy: Advanced Sensor and PTL 2 actions, one of them being a Boost to gain the free Evade token, then do a Green maneuver to ditch the stress token. It was rather impressive.

My personal favorite build to fly though is 4x Syndicate Thug Y-Wing with BTL-A4 Title, Ion Cannon Turret and R4 Agromech (when you spend a focus, you gain a target lock). You focus the ships, spend it on the first attack and use the Target Lock on the Ion Cannon attack. You tend to do 2 damage each turn and ionize them. Very controlling and a blast to play.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Diggler
msg tools
Last time I checked, there was dozens of viable squad builds.... which has always been one of this game's strong suits. I don't put too much stock into "meta's", because I believe there is also luck of the roll and one's piloting skills to account for.

My buddy built an IG / Slave 1 combo that is killer, he just racks up the wins.

I feel like the Starviper and modded Y-Wings are underrated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DirkDiggler wrote:

I also like the StarViper / Y wing list, but I think it lacks some firepower in the endgame.

Awesome alpha strike with the Y wings, and good manoeuvrability with the SV, but I can't see it lasting a whole hour in a tournament.

I need to try it out a bit for size

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Diggler
msg tools
I'm noticing 2 big ships seems to have an advantage over 3 small ships, i hope this isn't true

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Randall
United States
Westport
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Gonjeshk wrote:
cordeiro wrote:
mangler cannon
fire-control system
autothrusters
proximity mines
hot shot blaster

I forget where I heard it, but I like this build:

IG-88 B/D:
Outmaneuver
Fire-control System
HLC
Autothrusters

Outmaneuver and Autothrusters pair well together, and seeing as this is a maneuvering build (and boost is not as effective on a PS6 ship in a PS9 meta) I like D's ability for repositioning.

I really like how Outmaneuver addresses the greatest weakness for an arc-dodging build like this: a YT may be able to shoot at it from any angle, but Leia might as well reach over and switch Threepio off for most of this fight. And even a Decimator won't hold up long against two HLCs with up to three re-rolls each.

That's the "Terminators" squad that I have been flying on vassal recently, I talked about it a little on NOVA #20 and #21.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Power
New Zealand
flag msg tools
simondtaylor wrote:
DirkDiggler wrote:

I also like the StarViper / Y wing list, but I think it lacks some firepower in the endgame.

Awesome alpha strike with the Y wings, and good manoeuvrability with the SV, but I can't see it lasting a whole hour in a tournament.

I need to try it out a bit for size

The damage output + control aspects from Ions mean that the damage output from this list is pretty impressive. Purely in terms of damage its not quite at the same level as the full Tie Swarm pointing at the same target or 5 shot HLC builds, but being able to Ion things makes up for it. I've managed to get 3-6 games a week since Scum arrived, I have been running basically the same list the whole time and have only lost a couple of games in that time (Fat Han + Corran and Chinerau + Rexler, both times I messed up on the initial approach). Xizor with VI, FCS, Virago, Autothrusters and Intertial Dampeners, 2 Thugs with Ion, BTL and R4 + a Binayre Pirate. People really underestimate the output from the Y's.

Basically with the title card the Y wing now has slightly better damage output to a B-Wing with FCS AND one of those attacks is an Ion which most people don't seem to realise. If you hard roll 3 hits with the Ion (and it gets through) and can keep the TL their damage output is amazing - you line up the range one shot (hopefully with the Binayre zooming through to action block as well) which is going to have TL+Focus + another TL for the Ion.

Having said that I think going all in and running 4 Y's is probably weaker than 2-3 Y's + some other stuff. 2 Ions is enough to control a big ship if you need you and adding more ships or some higher PS ships with different strengths is important to help cover some of the bad matchups for a Y wing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about trying this list out, though I doubt it'll end up being terribly effective.

===================
Kath's Booty Magnet
===================

100 points

Pilots
------

N’Dru Suhlak (25)
Z-95 Headhunter (17), Cluster Missiles (4), Dead Man's Switch (2), Lone Wolf (2)

Kath Scarlet (45)
Firespray-31 (38), Push the Limit (3), Engine Upgrade (4)

Black Sun Soldier (15) x 2
Z-95 Headhunter (13), Dead Man's Switch (2)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Greaves
msg tools
7 Z95's with feedback arrays. kicks ass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Jordan
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Try this out with the ig88's

Ig88 B
VI
Accuracy corrector
Ion cannon
Autoblaster cannon
Ig88 -2000
Internal dampeners

Ig88 C
Same as above

Use ion cannons to slow and boost to get with in range 1 and autoblaster for hits that can't be canceled. Did I say that if you miss you get to attack again and you get a free evade for boosting on both Ig88 it's gross.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Mott
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
IG88-B:
Predator
Fire-Control System
Heavy Laser Cannon
IG-2000
Autothrusters
-------------------

IG88-C
Lone Wolf
Fire-Control System
Heavy Laser Cannon
IG-2000
Autothrusters
-------------------

Total: 99

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.