Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Survive: Escape from Atlantis!» Forums » General

Subject: How do you folks handle these scenarios? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got this game, and I think we will begin each game with more creatures, because in our first 2 player game only 1 colonist died. It was just too easy to get 3 people on a boat and get them onto an island, unless your opponent rolled a sea serpent (only a 1 in 3 chance). But I had some rules questions too.

1) Can a boat/swimmer willingly move into a space containing a creature that can sink/kill them? I assume the answer is "No", but I can't find this in the Parker Brothers rules. The game would seem pretty silly if you could do this without being killed.

2) If there are some "landlocked" beaches, do you start removing forests until a beach is touching water again?

3) Does "start of your turn" (like a dolphin) mean before phase 1, or sometime during/combined with phase 1 (the movement phase)?

4) Can a dolphin carry a person to land, or do they stop at the edge and the person then needs to spend "1" to hop onto the island?

5) I assume you don't have to finish destroying the island once everyone is safe?

6) Is it common in a 2 player game to never even get to destroying mountain spaces because all the people are safe already?

On the whole it was an uneventful 2 player game because we were deliberately on opposite sides of the island. Is there a variant anyone uses that forces you to "mingle"?

Thanks everyone.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Norton
United States
Seymour
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
Just got this game, and I think we will begin each game with more creatures, because in our first 2 player game only 1 colonist died. It was just too easy to get 3 people on a boat and get them onto an island, unless your opponent rolled a sea serpent (only a 1 in 3 chance). But I had some rules questions too.


How I play, might not be in the rules
ebridge wrote:

1) Can a boat/swimmer willingly move into a space containing a creature that can sink/kill them? I assume the answer is "No", but I can't find this in the Parker Brothers rules. The game would seem pretty silly if you could do this without being killed.

Sure they can move but the boat will get sunk or the people eaten.
btw you might want to do this on a boat where you only have a "1" person while you think the other player has a more valuable person on the boat.

ebridge wrote:

2) If there are some "landlocked" beaches, do you start removing forests until a beach is touching water again?


We do.

ebridge wrote:

3) Does "start of your turn" (like a dolphin) mean before phase 1, or sometime during/combined with phase 1 (the movement phase)?


I think that is in the rules.
ebridge wrote:

4) Can a dolphin carry a person to land, or do they stop at the edge and the person then needs to spend "1" to hop onto the island?

Stops a the edge.

ebridge wrote:

5) I assume you don't have to finish destroying the island once everyone is safe?

I would agree.

ebridge wrote:

6) Is it common in a 2 player game to never even get to destroying mountain spaces because all the people are safe already?

I don't think so. Don't you take away the tiles that you opponent is on?

ebridge wrote:

On the whole it was an uneventful 2 player game because we were deliberately on opposite sides of the island. Is there a variant anyone uses that forces you to "mingle"?

Thanks everyone.


One house rule we play with is that after everything has been setup. Every player rolls a die. You then place that monster any where you want. Sea Serpent menas you choose whale or shark.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Egelstaff
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Standard two player version we used to play was that both players used two sets of pieces, so you had a full island to start with. Usually it was red/orange vs. yellow/purple.

--Julian
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that once a swimmer is in the ocean, he can't get up on land, AND he can only swim 1 space per turn!

If you miss that little rule, your swimmers go flying by and get to the side islands pretty quick. That makes the dolphin card very valuable.

It is not common to get all the men off the island, but I have seen it happen...

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When you say "can't get up on land", you mean they can't get back on the main island in the middle, right? Surely they can swim to the corner islands.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1) nope, although you can move empty boats through monster-occupied spaces, as whales and sea serpents only destroy manned boats
2) We always leave landlocked beach until it touches the ocean,
3) at the "start of your turn" means before you do anything else on your turn
4) dolphins can't go on land, so it takes one extra hop
5) yep
6) Nope, because we also always play with 2 colours for a two player game. More fun and more bloodshed that way.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.