Popular Tags: [View All]
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is utterly awesome! Because while it is a very different world, it feels thematically so much like The Last of Us. Wonderful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe A
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Feels more like Stalker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BestCheckedIn wrote:
Feels more like Stalker

Stalker as well, sure. Though Stalker was more about finding artifacts and clearing buildings. The Last of Us was about a long journey to somewhere better and seeing the humanity fall apart around you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe A
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I couldn't tell from the video, but does every area you go to move you up the track to get to the destination? Or does every encounter? Hoping for some fun options as a mutant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The term "posthuman" carries a different meaning in SF genres, so it immediately grabbed my attention with this game until I watched the video.

It's definitely The Last of Us: The Board Game which is kind of a boring take on "posthuman," to be honest. It might as well be a zombie apocalypse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gordon calleja
Malta
Siggiewi
Malta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hey Paul, the mutants/evolved are not at all lame replacements for zombies. And as much as I loved last of us, the mutant/zombie similarity is only superficial. We at Mighty Box have been developing the lore behind Posthuman for quite a while. The boardgame exposes only elements of the evolved/mutants and their motives and world views. More will be unravelled in future works coming out of the Posthuman universe. We're developing a digital game along with the boardgame that will go much deeper into the story world.

if you re interested there s also some old papers I published on my academia.edu account about posthumanism in its academic sense. Now I mostly publish within game studies though so it's been a while since I ve written on the subject from an academic perspective.

Regards,

Gordon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response, Gordon! I apologize for sounding overly dismissive and it's good to hear that you have more development of the world planned for future titles. Very cool idea.

Maybe my experience of posthumanism in SF has been idiosyncratic, but I don't usually think of Fallout style post-apocalypse and forcefully contagious mutants when it comes to this genre. My impression of it was initially formed by stories along the lines of what the Beyond Singularity anthology contained, where the evolutionary singularity has already occurred and Earth is radically changed, inhabited in unexpected ways, or abandoned to different conscious life forms. In the video game space, this has looked sort of like the indie game Eidolon, which admittedly wouldn't make a good board game at least not in the traditional sense.

So I was a little thrown when I saw the initial premise, which sounds cool, but didn't fit my expectations for a posthuman setting.

Nonetheless, the game itself sounds like a very interesting design. I look forward to seeing where this goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JAKE C

California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grinn wrote:
We at Mighty Box have been developing the lore behind Posthuman for quite a while. The boardgame exposes only elements of the evolved/mutants and their motives and world views.

if you re interested there s also some old papers I published on my academia.edu account about posthumanism in its academic sense.

Backer here. Very cool to know that the post-apocalyptic world of Posthuman has a deep resource to pull from for the expansion and further developments of the title. As a fan of the theme from my exposure with Mad Max and Fallout, I look forward to the boardgame experience beyond "the first 365 days."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sounds nothing like Last of Us. In Last of Us there's no permanent wound system, no choosing where you go, the story is mostly based around human interactions and dialogue, it's not turn based, stealth plays a major role in the game, and the gameplay is almost exclusively combat and puzzles.

Posthuman is the loner survivor in an apocalyptic world. There's lots of works out there like Posthuman, but I don't think Last of Us is one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Izzy Marsh
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw the game at my LFGS and immediately purchased it based on the seeming similarity to The Last Of Us - the theme, the cover art, heck - even the main font is highly reminiscent of TLOU. After giving it a quick solo playthrough of a few rounds I thought it lived up to my expectation pretty darn well.

Granted, the boardgame doesn't have the political overtones of a failing police-state and the accompanying rebel faction, nor the videogames' 'search for a cure' narrative drive, but it DOES have enough elements to make one feel like its the closest one commercially available. Of course it requires a leap of imagination but its not that much of a leap.

For my first game I created a 'Joel'-like character, beat my first human opponent to death with a baseball bat and shot a mutant with a handgun to avoid infection that could occur in hand-to-hand combat. This took place in the ruins of a city I walked through after leaving a home in a leafy suburban setting.

I encountered a down-on his luck (ex) rockstar who accompanied me on the long roadtrip to the 'fortress' (Tommys' Dam, perhaps) who kept my spirits up with his banter. Maybe we'll encounter more stragglers in need of help...

Heck, the boardgame even has a Backpack on the Meeple and for those fans of TLOU, thats a pretty neat similarity!

I'd find it hard to believe that even if the premise for the boardgame came about several years before, the end product was not influenced at all by TLOU videogame.

Anyway, I think its a pretty neat game with or without any outside influences and I'm really looking forward to playing it a lot more very soon. I am eagerly awaiting an updated rulebook and official FAQ though - the rulebook does seem to go out of its way to make things appear far more complicated than they actually are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe A
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Feels like The Last of Us now, because there are only a handful of people who are still playing this mess
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Izzy Marsh
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BestCheckedIn wrote:
Feels like The Last of Us now, because there are only a handful of people who are still playing this mess

- and remember folks, that's a statement, not a fact!

Several solo plays in I can honestly say IMO that Posthuman offers a really entertaining story-like experience with the added bonus its easy to play.

The fact that when playing with 2+ some players may turn into mutant freaks out to get ya makes this like two games in one. The rulebook may not be the best but I've had no problems learning to play it and I am not the sharpest stick in the toolbox...

Can't wait to try this with my buddies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.