Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Printing Custom Tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Duke
United States
Edmond
OK
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me begin by apologizing. I could be posting this in the wrong place. I also feel like this is a topic that has been previously discussed, but I'm not finding it. So here goes.

I am in the process of creating my own tile game. We've been testing tiles that were printed on a thick card stock at my local print shop. But I'd like to figure out how to make some tiles for further testing. Unfortunately, my tiles are 2 inches x 2 inches. I've been quoted a price of $200 to have something set up and $3 per sheet to have them printed. That may be reasonable, but is just not a reality for me.

I'd appreciate any ideas or tricks on a more affordable way to make some tiles. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You could buy some chipboard and glue card stock or paper to each side as needed. You could also print on label paper and stick that to chipboard. If you have a Dickblicks in your area or are willing to pay shipping, you can get some reasonable prices on chipboard. If you go the dickblick route, you would be fine with the standard thickness instead of the double thickness...it's much harder to cut.

If you want to go the really cheap route, cereal boxes are an economical option that is somewhere between card stock and the chipboard I mentioned.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Windischer
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My routine for tiles:

-Print the tiles on paper (normally I use paper with linen texture, but normal paper will also work)
-Use transparent acrylic spray to seal it (this step is otional).
-Use spray glue to glue the printed sheets on a thick cardstock.
-Use a metal ruler and a sharp knife to cut the tiles out.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Doerr
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
Origins 2018 Jun 13th - 17th
badge
Unplayed Countdown: 2 left to play
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been getting great results from using this chipboard:

Grafix Medium Weight 12 Inch by 12 Inch Chipboard Sheets

with these labels on top:

Avery Shipping Labels for Laser Printers

and finished with this adhesive lamination paper:

Avery Self-Adhesive Laminating Sheets

and finally cut with one of these:

Swingline ClassicCut Pro 12-Inch Guillotine Trimmer

You end up with some medium weight tiles that have a glossy quality, a lot like Last Night on Earth's Player boards, and they are super easy to make.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiai Weidemann
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would look at Game Crafters and Print and Play. The really cool thing about The Games Crafters, is that you can set up so other people can get it as well and play test is a little for you.

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/

http://www.printplaygames.com/
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
okduke wrote:
I've been quoted a price of $200 to have something set up and $3 per sheet to have them printed.


Ouch, sounds like print shop is going a bit overboard in the setup process.

As others have said, plain paper printing glued to some decent cardboard is easy to do, and a lot cheaper than that
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okduke wrote:
Let me begin by apologizing. I could be posting this in the wrong place. I also feel like this is a topic that has been previously discussed, but I'm not finding it. So here goes.

I am in the process of creating my own tile game. We've been testing tiles that were printed on a thick card stock at my local print shop. But I'd like to figure out how to make some tiles for further testing. Unfortunately, my tiles are 2 inches x 2 inches. I've been quoted a price of $200 to have something set up and $3 per sheet to have them printed. That may be reasonable, but is just not a reality for me.

I'd appreciate any ideas or tricks on a more affordable way to make some tiles. Thanks!


http://www.printplaygames.com/product/die-cut-pieces-tiles-a...

2 inch square tiles, 15 to a printed sheet. choose between cardstock or chipboard.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Doyle
United States
Londonderry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
MartinWin wrote:
My routine for tiles:

-Print the tiles on paper (normally I use paper with linen texture, but normal paper will also work)
-Use transparent acrylic spray to seal it (this step is otional).
-Use spray glue to glue the printed sheets on a thick cardstock.
-Use a metal ruler and a sharp knife to cut the tiles out.


I do pretty much the same thing.
- Krylon Clear Matte spray paint as a top coat
- 3M Super 77 as the spray glue
- And picture mat board instead of card stock (big sheet at AC Moore for like $10)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RileyD wrote:
MartinWin wrote:
My routine for tiles:

-Print the tiles on paper (normally I use paper with linen texture, but normal paper will also work)
-Use transparent acrylic spray to seal it (this step is otional).
-Use spray glue to glue the printed sheets on a thick cardstock.
-Use a metal ruler and a sharp knife to cut the tiles out.


I do pretty much the same thing.
- Krylon Clear Matte spray paint as a top coat
- 3M Super 77 as the spray glue
- And picture mat board instead of card stock (big sheet at AC Moore for like $10)


I use more generic sprays.
I print on cheap cardstock (AC Moore ... )
and glue on cereal box
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My website is in french but this page as no text on it (yet) and a bunch of photos and videos that document different techniques do to tiles by yourself :

http://imprime.wikidot.com/technique:tuiles
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.