Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Koblinsky
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
The Woman Who Lives in the Sun by Kenojuak Ashevak
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it Mike. Kind of reminds me of WW2 Helltank. Any thoughts on a maximum spotting range, or perhaps bonuses for closer proximity? Or did you want to keep it very simple?

The stress rules look very fun too.

I'll try and give it a go next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Steven,

I see no reason to mess with spotting ranges. I figure a unit can spot as far as the longest range a unit can fire at, and that's pretty far for arty units. Definitely trying to keep it simple.

Stress works really well ... except for me, cuz my units keep disrupting when they try it ...

I look forward to your feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike, I have to echo what the original poster said; I like what I see. This looks like it may breathe new life into PB/PL. (I still drag them out once or twice a year) As much as I wanted it to, the MMG "update" on PanzerBlitz did not have the feel of PanzerBlitz at all, in my opinion. Tactical X does feel more like "the real thing."

However, I do have a question about activation. What is your thought behind rolling a die for activation points? I realize one of the "modern" trends is towards fog of war and uncertainty. However, I have found that a wide spread of difference in ability to act from turn to turn and player to player can be hugely unsatisfying. A difference between a "one" (up to four units activated) and a "six" (up to twenty-four units activated) is very lopsided, especially if one side has a much larger number of units available to activate. (I also realize this is a bit of a simplification, but I think the basic idea is still true.) If I have fifty armored units facing four, and I only get to activate four, it seems very unrealistic. It also more or less forces you to bunch your units up at maximum stacking to maximize activation, rather than spread them out, which might be more logical for some actions.

This is one of the things I disliked about Combat Commander (GASP! Yes, I'm one of those whiners!) A combination of fog of war and uncertainty is one thing, but huddling down, being shot at and not returning fire for a turn or two because I don't have the right cards is not fun or entertaining.)

This has also been a difficulty with "card-assisted" games like many of Columbia Games' block games (They are great games, and I have most of them, but getting one command point versus five can not only ruin a single turn, but potentially cripple an entire game.)

Could you shed some light on your thought process as you designed this rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JB,

The most important thing to be aware of is that under TGX, all units still get to activate. It's just that they don't all activate at once. Under standard rules, this is typically 1 to 6 hexes at a time (not units, hexes). This gets trickier if you're using command control, where the hexes need to be in command to activate efficiently (otherwise it's two activation points per unit, rather than one per hex). There's not chance of something not being able to activate ... you just got to determine what's most important to activate first. When the cards are in use, they replace the dice and provide an opportunity for random events ... they don't provide different types of activations (fire, move, rally, etc) like in Combat Commander. So, no worries there.

This change to full igo-ugo in the original design is to force players to give more thought to activation priorities. Do they try to suppress with these guys and then move with those guys, later?

So far, it's working out really well and makes the game a lot more interesting ... but I'm jaded ... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike,

Thanks for the reply. Don't you think that the swing of 1 to 6 hexes can be huge to the players, though? As I said before, that could mean a practical difference of twenty units more than one's opponent activating in a single phase.

I realize that's the extreme case, but that just seems excessive. How has that worked out in your playtesting?

I also agree with the OP; I think the Stress rules sound great.

By the way, I just printed out the new rulebook, so I'll be pulling out my copy of Panzerblitz this weekend. I'm looking forward to this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JB,

I've mostly been using the activation cards during playtesting (the ultimate way to play). Since the cards have a uniform distribution of "dice" results, activation works out pretty evenly. You may have a bad result for one draw, and a fabulous result the next. The further into the deck you go, the more things even out. Without the cards, there is still sufficient die rolling that the same happens (unless you're really, really un/lucky).

I hope you have a good time with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I will suspend disbelief on the activation until I actually see how it averages out. I suspect you're right in that the usual phase will not be totally out of wack. I'd still be in favor of making the activation roll into a bell curve...a one die roll gives the same chance for a one or a six...and then I'd cut off the extreme ends of the bell curve!

After a few read-throughs of the rulebook, I think it manages to preserve the feeling of OP (Original PanzerBlitz) while updating to the state of the wargame today.

Thanks for all your efforts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't want to use the cards and the 1d6 roll for activation seems to swingy, perhaps you could try using an Average Die (2,3,3,4,4,5) instead. Of course this totally eliminates the 6 result and creates a situation using the command rules where you'd always be able to activate an out-of-command hex.

Another option would be to roll 2d6 and keep the lowest as your result. This would definitely skew the results towards the low end, but still create a minimal (2%) chance of getting that 6. This would make the command rolls a bit harsher as 30% of the time you'd end up with a situation where you couldn't activate an out-of-command hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Koblinsky
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
The Woman Who Lives in the Sun by Kenojuak Ashevak
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds similar to the issue that players had with Panzer's initiative roll.

I haven't played with the cards yet, but I will next game. I was too lazy to print them. But so far it has been exciting rolling the dice, especially when a dominant side wins initiative but rolls a one for their first activation. The best laid plans...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.