Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Drew
United States
Los Altos
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game was with two and I enjoyed it. It seemed to take a while, but we were still new players and both of us were trying out different things to see what would happen.

Played my third game last night and I am still enjoying it. This was a 5 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Imperial in Essen after 1 demo with 5 players, which was fun. At home, I have played it twice now with only 2, and it wasn't very satisfying. The problem is the same I have with most games were you collect victory points and compare them at the end: you can't gang up on the leader if you are alone...

Meaning: it becomes evident who is going to win long before the game is "officially" over. Then, you can either give up as the player in the weaker position or go through the motions anyway. And I don't like either "solution".

I haven't tried any changes to the game yet, but from my limited experience, the two player game needs to be shortened. You could e.g.

a) Play until a nation reaches the x4 multiplier space instead of x5.

b) Play until the second nation has a majority controller who cannot lose control anymore, because there aren't enough bonds left. IMO, the game becomes a lot less interesting once nations begin to "lock up" in this way.

I would also recommend giving each player 2 million starting capital, but no extra money when the investor card triggers. Our impression was that money is not as tight as it should be in the 2 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.