Subject: Some thoughts on the Aggressor. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I finally got a round in with 2 IG88's (Robo Bros) and a throw away Black Sun Soldier to help out(z-95) I came away with a few interesting thoughts. First off my opponents list(which I made, so I suppose I should be proud?) was fairly tailor made to ruin my day. He Had Lando flying a Falcon with gunner and Nein Numb, so there's one ship I can't bother with one ion cannon, and a whole host of green maneuvers to ruin my flechette cannon, then 2 Named A-wing pilots. So, tons more green maneuvers, and some maneuverability even when Ioned.

I was running IG88 B and D thinking W would allow me a good deal of maneuvering flexability, and B would give that offensive punch. I think B sort of didn't get a chance to whine, for the above mentioned reasons and the fact he snagged on Asteroids(I'm still not used to large base ships and It's my style to pull a lot of high risk maneuvers that pay off with smaller ships) and he blew up early, nerfing half of the powers of the team!

I found D's turns to be less than exciting in all honesty. a Hard 3 reverse doesn't pull you far enough out of the scrum to get a solid angle on anything but slow ships. Again, this might have been what I was going against, A wings are speedy little buggers.

Overall the Aggressor's maneuver dial LOOKS more impressive than it seems to feel in game. It has a lot of turns, but the large-baseness of it still makes it a chunky maneuverer if you're trying to fly complex dog fighting tactics. It doesn't have a good way to 'clear the scrum' against maneuverable ships. This doesn't make it bad, just it's something to be mindful of. Overall I am thinking C might be a better choice for maneuverability than D. Boost+evade can help again in clearing yourself, while providing defensive perks. The extra turn to get into position might very well be worth it not having to stress yourself.

What have other people been surprised by or felt confirmed by their handling of the ships?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Knight
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played a couple games with dual aggressors. One of them was a 5 man free for all and all kinds of fleets involved. Swarms, Elites, etc.

The aggressors I used were B and D for the turns and the second chance attack. I also put Accuracy Corrector on them, PTL, Mangler Cannon, and autothrusters.

I loved D's ability. the turns saved my butt a number of times. My opponents were so focused on stopping the S-Loop that they forgot about the K-turn and the fact my S-loop could be a ninety. I flanked a number of ships and ripped into them doing the 90 S-Loop. And with 2 auto hits regardless of die rolls and stress tokens, I was doing damage every turn with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why did you bother with 2nd chance attack when you had auto corrector?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't flown against our most successful local double IG player yet... but I know he's been having success with Stay on Target and Advanced Sensors with the special K-Turn guy. Any non-stressed turn where he might want to K-Turn he's moving three and finding a place to be clear with a shot.

As for me... I think sharing the pilot ability is cool... but it seems like a trap. Even with the nice defense dice its too easy to die to focused fire and its too easy to focus fire on a large base. I do like flying one Aggressor though. My current favorite loadout is B with Vet Instincts, Fire Control System and Mangler. The other nearly 60 points of my list has been changing between a 4 ship mini-swarm and two cheap ships and a Y-Wing or a turret and I'm not sure which one I like best yet. I've actually found myself in the odd position of intentionally blocking my Aggressor with my Z's or MA's to keep him from crashing into the enemy when we get close together. Thanks to Fire Control and the built in Gunner he does pretty consistent damage even without an action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have flown the B and C couple, each loaded out with FCS, stealth, title, HLC, inertial dampener and Veteran instincts.

having HLC and FCS on both ships, coupled with B's ability gives a quite high damage probability; being able to shoot twice and have a target lock 80% of the time without needing an action for it.

with VI, they have pilot skill 8 which allows to fire first each turn vs lower enemy pilots which is handy as well
though I was tempted to take determination instead as it could insure they both keep their pilot abilities, its a tough choice between these but as the pilot skill is handy every turn while determination is too situational (though if it does happen its a killer for the firing combo).

with the inertial dampener at the right time you can assure an extra round of firing, either at long range or by being able to keep the enemy within your sight where otherwise you would be forced to move away or when your opponent might think you would K-turn and he thus K-turns in front of you. though you have to time it right as the stress it gives makes a K-turn or S-loop impossible next turn.
at one time I used it to avoid having to fly onto an asteroid so I could fire that turn instead of being prevented from firing due to being on the asteroid.

accuracy corrector is mostly good for weapons that dont roll much dice or need the hit for their effect; ie assault missiles, flechette cannon or Ion cannon/missiles, but not for HLC or mangler cannon (you cant use the mangler's ability on the hits from accuracy corrector).

the stealth device is handy though fickle, but the free evade from C's ability does help in keeping your stealth active if you get a chance to use boost which unfortunately was very limited in my plays.

advanced sensors does have its benefits, certainly for allowing to use boost before you move, I will have to try a build with it as well.

I am also tempted to replace the "C" with the "D", that hard-3 K-turn does offer some nice options

so far at least, the aggressor is my preferred ship of the scums
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Knight
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Why did you bother with 2nd chance attack when you had auto corrector?

Because I wanted the chance to cause crits. I knew there would be a lot of TIEs on the board. The auto correcter was there as a last ditch guarantee of damage if I couldn't get hits/crits with the mangler. I also wanted to see how often I would use the auto correcter. Next game I want to try FCS.

And I didn't care much for the other two abilities of the A and C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I flew against a 2 Aggressor list outfitted with Enhanced Scopes, and I think it was actually a really nice use of that system upgrade. With only PS 6, they aren't going to outmaneuver a lot of the big boys anyway, but moving first is really helpful in preventing overlaps since they are so fat. Otherwise they are moving in the middle of the pack and probably going to have their actions denied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
I flew against a 2 Aggressor list outfitted with Enhanced Scopes, and I think it was actually a really nice use of that system upgrade.

I thought about that once, but then saw FCS of AdvSensor and quickly changed. However now that you discuss the PS ranges I think it would be quite interesting...You can be where you want to be and use C's ability to boost/evade without worry of blockage (if you plan right, of course)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
B&C with PTL and FCS, just so you can boost, evade, focus, and shoot with target lock all in a round, with two ships, just for the lulz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
The stealth device is handy though fickle, but the free evade from C's ability does help in keeping your stealth active if you get a chance to use boost which unfortunately was very limited in my plays.

advanced sensors does have its benefits, certainly for allowing to use boost before you move, I will have to try a build with it as well.

I think if you are going to make decent use of C's ability, you need to use advanced sensors and PtL so you can incorporate the boost into your movement, get your evade, and still have an action for focus. It doesn't leave you with many points or upgrade options to play with, and without FCS, you will not be taking full advantage of B's ability. I think all those limiting factors are the reason we son't see much of C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.