Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've just realised that what puts me off a lot of heavier games isn't, as I once thought, the depth of analysis required but the sustained effort of trying to min/max a number of options several moves ahead. In effect, I'm just lazy .

This is probably one of the reasons I've got a soft spot for Puerto Rico which works by presenting a small number of options but making it very difficult to pick the best and which discourages long term planning, focussing instead on turn-to-turn tactics.

I was wondering whether there are any more heavyweight games that might fit into this sort of play style and appeal to me - I don't really play enough at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I'm never really thought of it as heavyweight- but the first game I thought of when I read your post was China. I've only played 3 games so far, but I greatly enjoyed them. The game gives you lots to think about with only 4 pages of illustrated rules, and plays quick enough to get several games in in a row. This may or may not be what you're looking for, but I found it to be a very fun, mentally challenging game but at the same time very simple.

I guess my other recommendation would be to find someone of the similar skill who wants to be your chess partner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to like these very games you mention. I do better at games that have turn -2 - turn tactics. I'm not good with games I need to plan 5 moves in advance

Some of my favorites are:

Java
Knizia Samurai
Canal Mania
In the Shadow of the Emporer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if you'd consider this heavy, but Santiago fits your criteria of having to focus on turn-to-turn actions rather than long term planning. It's difficult to plan too far ahead in the game since the influences of the players on the canal master can cause unexpected ("not the perfect") things to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy K.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Way-whu-nuh-now?!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understand your point, I strongly recommend Tigris & Euphrates.

I don't know that T&E could legitamitely be called heavy, but it carries more weight than many Euros.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like any good wargame would do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Matsson
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
Khronos may also be a game for you.
I like it a lot (bought at Essen) but some people have complained over the lack of overall strategy and the lack of control over the construction cards. But as the designer has replied it is designed to be more of a "do-the-best-you-can-with-what-you-have" in your turn so you may want to check it out.

/Per

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.