Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Thurn and Taxis» Forums » Variants

Subject: 2 player variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 2 [+] player [+] - [+] and [+] Thurns [+] taxis [+] [View All]
Frank Griese
msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Although Thurn and Taxis plays well with 2 players, you can add a little twist for a tense game :

Only the following bonus tiles are used in the game :
- Baiern : 5 and 3
- Böhmen/Salzburg : 4 and 2
- Other regions : 3 and 1
- Tile 6 and 4 "Outside of Baiern"

Only the Postmaster and the Coachman can be called for assistance during the game, so you will have to take more risk when starting a new route.

Translated from (french)
http://www.trictrac.net/index.php3?id=jeux&rub=detail&inf=va...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimo B.
Italy
Unspecified
flag msg tools
linael wrote:
Only the following bonus tiles are used in the game :
- Baiern : 5 and 3
- Böhmen/Salzburg : 4 and 2
- Other regions : 3 and 1
- Tile 6 and 4 "Outside of Baiern"

Agreed, I have always played in this way, it seems such an obvious adjustment for the 2-player game. Ok, not really necessary, there is so little interaction in this game that it scales perfectly (were it not for the downtime, it could easily scale up to 6-8 players just by adding the components).

linael wrote:
Only the Postmaster and the Coachman can be called for assistance during the game, so you will have to take more risk when starting a new route.

For this one instead I don't understand the motivation, I don't feel ant need to increase the risk, so I doubt I will ever try it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Jansen
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Can I drive the bus?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MaBi wrote:

Agreed, I have always played in this way, it seems such an obvious adjustment for the 2-player game. Ok, not really necessary, there is so little interaction in this game that it scales perfectly (were it not for the downtime, it could easily scale up to 6-8 players just by adding the components).


Although you can play with everyone doing their own thing (little interaction), I disagree about a lack of interaction. I've played some really good players who manage to watch what I'm doing very carefully and steal the cards I need. Very frustrating! I think there is actually the most interaction with two players because you're arguably better able to do this.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
Avatar
mb
linael wrote:

Only the following bonus tiles are used in the game :
- Baiern : 5 and 3
- Böhmen/Salzburg : 4 and 2
- Other regions : 3 and 1
- Tile 6 and 4 "Outside of Baiern"


So, are the 7, 6, and 5 route length bonus tiles not used?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently acquired this game and just played my first 2 player game. I just looked up this variant and was wondering if anyone else has played it and if it made the 2 player game more interesting?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Being more confrontational is what makes the game more interesting. Try it, and you'll notice you will fare better as well.

Note: I don't play T&T in a confrontational way against my wife because she doesn't like those types of games too much.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I will give it a try. I agree with the confrontational making it more interesting. Fortunately, my wife has no problem playing like that.

Thanks for the response!

A previous post did bring up a good question about the route length bonuses. I'm assuming they are all used as people can get them multiple times.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
I think I phrased it wrongly when I said my wife "doesn't like those types of games too much". I meant confrontation in a game that isn't thematically or inherently confrontational. She does like (fantasy) wargames for instance.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
linael wrote:
Although Thurn and Taxis plays well with 2 players, you can add a little twist for a tense game :

Only the following bonus tiles are used in the game :
- Baiern : 5 and 3
- Böhmen/Salzburg : 4 and 2
- Other regions : 3 and 1
- Tile 6 and 4 "Outside of Baiern"

Only the Postmaster and the Coachman can be called for assistance during the game, so you will have to take more risk when starting a new route.

Translated from (french)
http://www.trictrac.net/index.php3?id=jeux&rub=detail&inf=va...


We just played this as 2-players & I set it up similar:

Route Bonuses
7: 4 then 2
6: 3 then 1
5: 2

Region Bonus Tiles
Light Blue/Dark Blue: 3 then 1
Orange/Red: 4 then 2
Purple: 3 then 1
Dark Green/Light Green: 3 then 1
Grey: 5 then 3

All Provinces Bonus Tiles
: 6 then 4

I have an idea for the next time I do a two player game.
Each player will have a cube in their color.
When that player uses support from an official they'll place their cube on that official on the board, that support can't be used by the other player that round.

However, the round turn will go like this:
Player 1 takes their turn, then places their cube on the official they received support from
Player 2 then takes their turn, no need to place their cube.
Player 1 takes back their cube

Next round:
Player 2 goes first then places their cube on the official
Player 1 then takes their turn, again, no need to place their cube
Player 2 takes back their cube

Rinse & repeat.

Whomever triggers the end game receives the point marker but the other player will get one more turn regardless of who went first at the start of the game.

Love this game!!! It's brand new to me!!!!!!!!!!!!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.